No announcement yet.

New project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I ordered a barrel back in Mid December that was supposed to ship within 3-4 weeks. Right after ordering it one of their machines went down, and I still haven’t received my barrel. No big deal I’m used to waiting on pretty much anything worth it. I’ve been slowly taking my time searching for optics for the Switchlug setup, and have been looking for another ATACR 4-16 MILC or MILXT, a Kahles 318i SKMR3, and even kind of considered an ATACR 7-35 MILXT. Well I ran across a deal I couldn’t pass up on a Kahles 525i SKMR3, so I got it ordered. Now I’m impatient like a mofo. Guess my 17HMR is getting some nice glass while my PSTII goes back to Vortex for my stupidity. Lol

Comment

Well I received my barre a few weeks back, and was about to get her spin up. Was going to run a X-Caliber #4 contour 7 twist. I’ve been a Bartlein, Rock Creek, and Lilja barrel whore for the best part of a decade, and after shooting 7-8 of these new X-Calibers I’m 100% sold on them. Back on story now. Life got hectic and hadn’t had time to drop the rifle by my buddies for him to spin it up. Well early last week I ran across a deal I couldn’t pass up on a new X-Caliber 7 twist carbon barrel, so I ordered it up and sold my stainless blank. Hoping to have my new carbon barrel in within a few weeks. Once I have her in I’ll try to have this rifle together ASAP. I’m pretty anxious for it.

Comment

I guess I never have updated this. Received the carbon barrel, and it was much heavier contoured than anticipated. My original Havak stock was no longer going to work, and what once began as a “cheap” rifle project has now turned into another full custom. Well got on to AG Composites website and places my order for an Adjustable Hunter. Ended up taking a few months to come in, but that wasn’t an issue. I received the stock about 6-8 weeks ago, but I’ve been too busy to mess with it. Finally got around to have the barrel spun last week, then just say the barreled action back in the safe and went about life. Finally got around to putting it all together tonight. It’s not 100%, as I still need to cerakote the action and exposed metal on the barrel to match the dark carbon fiber graphite color. For the time being it’s together, and time to put some bodies in the dirt. We will worry about the rest after the season.

I’ve got a NF NX8 2.5-20 for the daytime optics, and a Pulsar Thermion XG50 for the night time optic. I’ll get pics of those mounted up tomorrow. For the meantime here it is.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	63135E8E-248A-4A20-AE30-19C2E3B3F002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	24634002Click image for larger version

Name:	5908D1FA-6F95-4120-BD67-D3FD611F7616.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	24634001

Comment

My pants are fitting a little tighter right now!

Name:	854C8D6E-C22E-4F9B-8688-8BBE042886B8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	24634011

Comment

Fine looking rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              My pants are fitting a little tighter right now!

[ATTACH]1024384[/ATTACH]
              How do you like that stock? I have one going on my 30Nos build and have not been able to put my hands on one before I ordered.

Comment

This one isn’t part of the project mentioned, but I’ll post it here anyways. My little nephew is going to start deer hunting this year. I offered his dad (my brother in law) to let him shoot my Seekins Havak in 6 Creedmoor. He was wanting to build my nephew a bolt gun, but I told him it would be mid - late season before it was ever ready with parts availability (using my discounts and connections) etc. So I found him a Manners CS stock in Manners Ready To Ship stock, and placed the order. It came in a few days ago, and I got my 6 barreled action thrown in it last night. Here it

Name:	BC6F770D-2C2C-48C4-82FC-C6C3C47B0B83.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	24634110

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  How do you like that stock? I have one going on my 30Nos build and have not been able to put my hands on one before I ordered.
                  I sat down and compared it to a few others last night, but forgot to post my thoughts. I really like the palm swell on the AG. Feels more natural than my EH1, Havak, and Manners CS. The stock feels really well put together. The inletting of the Manners is very slightly better. I ordered the Adjustable Hunter, but I think I should’ve just gone Alpine Hunter. I could’ve saved a few dollars and ounces, and I’ve got the comb all the way down as it is.

I’ve grown quite bitter with Manners over the past few years, and I absolutely refuse to custom order a stock from them. Honestly I refuse to order a stock from them period except for one exception. The CS, and even then I’ll only order from their Ready To Ship page. It’s the only compact adjustable stock that I like on the market, and makes an excellent kids stock they can grow with. Besides it I’ll do whatever I can to avoid doing business with MCS, and AG has been a breathe of fresh air.

Comment

Good to hear. I like the looks of them but have not been able to put my hands on one. Looking forward to the build. Now I just need to sell a kidney for some optics to go on it Lol

I have not ordered a manners for several years due to the wait mostly. I really love their MCS-TA and will probably order one last stock some day for the short action 700 foot print. We shall see though, there are a lot of options out there.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      Good to hear. I like the looks of them but have not been able to put my hands on one. Looking forward to the build. Now I just need to sell a kidney for some optics to go on it Lol

I have not ordered a manners for several years due to the wait mostly. I really love their MCS-TA and will probably order one last stock some day for the short action 700 foot print. We shall see though, there are a lot of options out there.

Sierracharlie out…
                      My last Manners I had made took 14 months and they got it all wrong (studs on the wrong side, bottom metal inlet, and fill). Lol The group of guys I run with were ordering 1-3 stocked each every year from them, and the amount of wrong stocks was getting outrageous. We’ve all pretty much moved away from them. It seems like it’s all AG or Foundation for us now. This is my first AG.

Comment

My last Manners I had made took 14 months and they got it all wrong (studs on the wrong side, bottom metal inlet, and fill). Lol The group of guys I run with were ordering 1-3 stocked each every year from them, and the amount of wrong stocks was getting outrageous. We’ve all pretty much moved away from them. It seems like it’s all AG or Foundation for us now. This is my first AG.

You’re not the only person I’ve heard/seen that from. There was one dude on another forum that was just FLAMING manners for the crap work and then customer service haha. Hopefully they get it taken care of or they will be losing a lot of customers.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

We won't supply one for a customer build anymore, and I hate that. But we've been in the hot seat way too many times being the middle man dealing with them. Your story is the rule, rather than the exception in our experience. If someone wants to use one, we have them order it direct......with fair warning. McMillan and AG almost always come through. AG's carbon layup is superior to just about everything out there, which is a bonus.

Comment

I sat down and compared it to a few others last night, but forgot to post my thoughts. I really like the palm swell on the AG. Feels more natural than my EH1, Havak, and Manners CS. The stock feels really well put together. The inletting of the Manners is very slightly better. I ordered the Adjustable Hunter, but I think I should’ve just gone Alpine Hunter. I could’ve saved a few dollars and ounces, and I’ve got the comb all the way down as it is.

I’ve grown quite bitter with Manners over the past few years, and I absolutely refuse to custom order a stock from them. Honestly I refuse to order a stock from them period except for one exception. The CS, and even then I’ll only order from their Ready To Ship page. It’s the only compact adjustable stock that I like on the market, and makes an excellent kids stock they can grow with. Besides it I’ll do whatever I can to avoid doing business with MCS, and AG has been a breathe of fresh air.

The comb on the Alpine hunter is deceptively high! I usually try to talk folks out of the adjustable version simply because no one ever seems to need it once everything is bolted together. No need to take the weight penalty most of the time. I bet that rig balances nice the way you have it set up. Good looking build!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                              We won't supply one for a customer build anymore, and I hate that. But we've been in the hot seat way too many times being the middle man dealing with them. Your story is the rule, rather than the exception in our experience. If someone wants to use one, we have them order it direct......with fair warning. McMillan and AG almost always come through. AG's carbon layup is superior to just about everything out there, which is a bonus.
                              If it was a one off incident I could’ve chalked it up to s**t happens. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case like you said. Which sucks as I have really enjoyed the builds I’ve had with MCS stocks over the years. I think their designs are some of if not the best on the market. Their execution was **** poor at best though. Their inability to execute is a deal breaker when waiting a year plus, and even worse with them lying anytime you contact them. Regardless when you call and check on the status it’s always the same response “were finishing it up right now. Should be shipping in a couple of weeks” lol 6 months later the exact same response.

From now on it’s McMillan or AG for me. I’ve had excellent luck with McMillan, and AG has been absolutely a pleasure to deal with. I made a couple of changes, and Pam was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable when talking with her. I’ve spoke with Pam 3 times now, and every time has left me a larger fan of AG. I’m glad my stock came out as well as it did, and she left me with very high expectations of the company.

Comment

I put the 6 together in the Manners CS for my little 5 year old nephew to shoot this season. So far he’s putting it to pretty good use. Dad sat beside him and did nothing but instruct him. My nephew handled the rifle all by himself with help of a tripod, and dropped this sow in her tracks at 130 yds.

Name:	1DF6895A-47F4-4295-A1FB-258E04C1102D.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	24637921
                                Last edited by TX03RUBI; 11-22-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X