Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County
Default 2019/2020 bosque county

Figured I’d start a thread for all the bosque county boys and girls this year.

Man the rain! Property is looking good. Grass is tall and acorns are thick. Have several bucks hitting the corn and protein hard. My daughter and youngest son will Be after there first deer this year’s so I’m excited and can’t wait for the season to start. Still have a little work to do but have another week on crutches post knee surgery.

Good luck to everyone this year and can’t wait to see and read all the stories from good ole Bosque county. God bless and be safe.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Have some Newbies!

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-
Old 07-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
BayouCat
Four Point

Hunt In: B-County & Central Texas

Looking good!
BayouCat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
JWF
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba and Gillespie counties

This will be my first year hunting in Bosque county. I’m hunting a very small property and just having fun playing with it right now. Good luck to all this season.
JWF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
Rwc
Ten Point

Shaping up to be an above normal year...............

Ashton and I went to the river grounds yesterday afternoon and noticed a lot of the White Oaks (over cups) where already letting loose of allot of there acorn pairs.

Deer are starting to trickle back into the feeders from the cut grain fields.

Now, I am just trying to locate a buck that Ashton and Breck has not already claimed.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWF View Post
This will be my first year hunting in Bosque county. I’m hunting a very small property and just having fun playing with it right now. Good luck to all this season.
Best of luck to you on your new place.

Rwc
Old 08-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
JWF
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Best of luck to you on your new place.

Rwc

Thank you. Same to y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Name:  IMG_4357.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  108.7 KB

Old 08-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Some good prospects there!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

^ mature one there. Any head on pics? Is he 13"?
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
^ mature one there. Any head on pics? Is he 13"?

Not head on. I’m trying to post other pictures but it won’t let me. Saying they are to big. Maybe the buck are to big to post! Hahahaha

Old 08-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
Rwc
Ten Point

Good looking deer Buckwheat.

Rwc
Old 08-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Rwc
Ten Point

Had my first rubbed out buck show for this year. He rubbed out Friday/Saturday time frame.

90% complete with plowing for food plots. Need this rain to not stall out. River is still looking good, with lots of Dove landing late to water.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
JWF
Ten Point

I plowed my little 1/4 acre plot up this past weekend. When and what do you usually plant?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Had my first rubbed out buck show for this year. He rubbed out Friday/Saturday time frame.

90% complete with plowing for food plots. Need this rain to not stall out. River is still looking good, with lots of Dove landing late to water.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc

Last picture I had had a few with black tips. Starting to dry out. Can’t wait to see these boys rubbed out. Good luck to ya.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Are y'all seeing many doves? I'll be between china springs and valley mills for the opener.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Ten Ring
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clifton, Mart, Evant

I will be out at our place this weekend shredding, plowing and planting. Got the cameras up 2 weeks ago and am excited to pull the cards and see what has been going on. My son believes this will be his first year to shoot a deer, He still needs to prove it to me on a pig.
Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #18
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
I plowed my little 1/4 acre plot up this past weekend. When and what do you usually plant?

I plant approximately 6 acres, oats, wheat, chicory, rape, arrow leaf, red and white clovers. Some years i will broadcast 100 pounds of winter peas and back drag before i sling the other seed, just depends.

One thing, sling your bigger seeds first them back drag, then sling your clovers on top and walk off.

Rwc
Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #19
JWF
Ten Point

Excellent. Thanks for the info

Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #20
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Are y'all seeing many doves? I'll be between china springs and valley mills for the opener.
Seeing bigger numbers in McLennan County than I am on my Bosque grounds.

While plowing Monday, i did notice good groups landing late on rocks up and down river to drink before roosting.

Rwc
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #21
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Excellent. Thanks for the info

You betcha, i have also had great luck with radishes and turnips for a late season food source.

Clifton feed and Service Center sales a real good clover mix, “Plot Topper”.

Lastly don’t forget that Bar None will have there corn sale starting tomorrow or Thursday.

Rwc
Old 08-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #22
Rwc
Ten Point

Just an FYI or heads up, allot of the Live Oaks and Red Oaks on both my McLennan and Bosque grounds are dropping half mature acorns. First time I noticed was late last week while scouting some of Uncle Trumps ground around the lake.

Looked at a dozen or so yesterday on my river grounds and behind the house and all but 2 where dropping. They are only about half to quarter filled out. I did not notice less activity around feeders but I would assume animals will migrate towards them once they are found.....

So if you start to see less activity around your feeders, you might want to go look under a few of your acorn tress.

Rwc
Old 08-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #23
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just an FYI or heads up, allot of the Live Oaks and Red Oaks on both my McLennan and Bosque grounds are dropping half mature acorns. First time I noticed was late last week while scouting some of Uncle Trumps ground around the lake.

Looked at a dozen or so yesterday on my river grounds and behind the house and all but 2 where dropping. They are only about half to quarter filled out. I did not notice less activity around feeders but I would assume animals will migrate towards them once they are found.....

So if you start to see less activity around your feeders, you might want to go look under a few of your acorn tress.

Rwc

Noticed a drop in buck activity at the feeder. Mommas with fawns are still hitting pretty hard.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Also, just drove up to our lease to pick up some barrels. And have seen several flicks of dove. Big flocks.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
Spartan22
Four Point

Hunt In: All Over

Just got back last night from Lease Maintenance in Bosque County and as it is thick and green, Acorns don’t look good. Had to do a lot of cutting and preparation. Cameras and feeders are now on and I am anxious to go back out in 2 weeks to finish and see what’s coming in. Little dove sighting but good Turkey as usual. Lone Doe standing under a shaded tree.
Spartan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #26
Rwc
Ten Point

Finished up prepping all my food plot grounds, had all intentions of going ahead and slinging seed yesterday. But, when I was in Clifton Feed and Service Center picking up my plot topper clover mix's, Sherry mentioned the Army worms they were seeing on there Turnersville grounds..................... Soooo after getting totally wiped out last year by Army worms, I went ahead and made the decision to wait a few more weeks.

Cameras are still showing good numbers with all bucks but one rubbed slick.

Rwc
Old 09-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #27
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

My place sold! Imona have to road hunt in front of Richards place I guess...been practicing but dang it's tough shootin' a bow out of a pickup window!
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeater View Post
My place sold! Imona have to road hunt in front of Richards place I guess...been practicing but dang it's tough shootin' a bow out of a pickup window!
I noticed the for sale signs. Hate to hear it. Oh... Buy a shorter bow....... ha ha ha

Stop by and see me one day; if gates open I’m probably down there somewhere.

Rwc
Old 09-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #29
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Couple new bucks showed up this past week. Could anyone help age the drop tune buck. I’m thinking 3.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #30
Rwc
Ten Point

A few photos from my water station behind the house in McLennan County. Its dry and hot, and the wildlife are hammering this water. They drain the syrup tube and bucket every two days.

God Bless

Rwc
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #31
Rwc
Ten Point

Here is a 7/8 year old 8 point that we know well. Just a little comparison of velvet to slick. These two photos were taken 9 hours apart on 9/3.

I do appreciate him standing in the same place for both morning and afternoon photos.

Hope all is well.

Rwc
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #32
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

On that drop tine buck I'd prob lean on 4, for a summertime deer his neck transitions into his brisket pretty well
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #33
Rwc
Ten Point

The great Lord did not give me the patience's that others are blessed with, so I believe I will be "dusting" in my fall/winter food plot seeds this weekend.

Hope all the McLennan and Bosque County hunters have a great season. I believe after pulling cards I am going to go sign up Ashton and Breck into the Clifton Chamber of Commerce Big Buck Contest............one just never knows.........

Rwc
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #34
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Quote:
The great Lord did not give me the patience's that others are blessed with, so I believe I will be "dusting" in my fall/winter food plot seeds this weekend.

Hope all the McLennan and Bosque County hunters have a great season. I believe after pulling cards I am going to go sign up Ashton and Breck into the Clifton Chamber of Commerce Big Buck Contest............one just never knows.........

Rwc

After pulling my card the past few month I might need to sign up also. Good luck this year.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #35
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
After pulling my card the past few month I might need to sign up also. Good luck this year.

And best of luck to you also.

Rwc
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #36
Spartan22
Four Point

Good luck to all. Images are looking better and better across the county it seems.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
JWF
Ten Point

I don’t need to get in any big buck contests, but I have been surprised by a couple of bucks that showed up. For having never hunted this area and only getting setup 2 months ago on a place that hasn’t been hunted/fed for years I’m kind of impressed and excited. My 5yo daughter has come up with some creative names for a few bucks and she’s going to go sit with me for the first time this year. Should be good times and memories made.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #38
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
I don’t need to get in any big buck contests, but I have been surprised by a couple of bucks that showed up. For having never hunted this area and only getting setup 2 months ago on a place that hasn’t been hunted/fed for years I’m kind of impressed and excited. My 5yo daughter has come up with some creative names for a few bucks and she’s going to go sit with me for the first time this year. Should be good times and memories made.

I just happen to have a daughter that started sitting with me about that age. She likes the heck out of killing critters, bet yours will too. I am sure you have already thought of it, but the IPAD, coloring books and snacks go a long ways with young ones in the stand..........

Rwc
Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #39
JWF
Ten Point

Yes sir I will be hauling 1/2 my house to the blind I would imagine

Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #40
Spartan22
Four Point

Heading out tomorrow to finish setting up/cleaning up and top everything off before we let it sit in peace a few weeks. 2 new locations set up that I hang stands on tomorrow so I can’t Wait to pull cards and see if good locations thus far.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #41
JWF
Ten Point

I planted Monday hoping to catch this rain event. So fingers crossed it comes through.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #42
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
I planted Monday hoping to catch this rain event. So fingers crossed it comes through.

Yea, started to plant mine Saturday but Dove hunting got in the way.

Slinging seed Saturday....period!

Rwc
Old 09-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #43
JWF
Ten Point

By the looks of things I might have trusted the weatherman too much