Irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irrigation

I have a 20 acre food plot that I am considering irrigating. I have ZERO experience with real farming. Learned everything I know from elgato’s thread and growingdeer.tv. Rusty thank you by the way. Anyway I want to have more consistent results than I have been getting and grow a lot more matter to really improve the gravelly soils we have. I have a well that apparently drove a pivot years ago but all but the well is pretty much derelict. I have found quite a bit of info on pivots, designs etc. I havee been to several dove hunts etc that use flood irrigation techniques for sunflowers, corn and milo. I have not found any good resources so far on the considerations for this type of irrigation which on first blush seems much more affordable. Anybody use it? Things to consider? Any good resources?

Thanks in advance

To irrigate 20ac just mildly will cost a fortune. And it’s not equal to rain per 1”. We irritate out of 2 lagoons at the dairy and the volume of water for 20 will barely keep up 1 application. For hobby wildlife plots there are far cheaper options. And once you get soil built (nothing is over night) it will be better at managing the water you get. Also go with a crop that will be compatible in your area. If it’s dry normally go with more drought tolerant

As far as equipment I run a 300ci ford on propane through 8” to a reel or 360 gun

Comment

You can lay out 4 inch hand pipe or a wheel line. Probably need 200-400 gpm. We water a some acreage with this method but most is with pivots and linears.

Comment

Working...
      X