implement choice for rocky ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

implement choice for rocky ground

I need a way to prep the ground with my little 26 hp food plot tractor. The plots have been disc'd the last couple of years but I'm sure I'll still hit some rock.

If I go rotary I'll not go reverse spin as that would be too aggressive for my ground, and if I keep the depth shallow I should be alright shouldn't I?

I'd sure like to have a rotary tiller but maybe I should just stick with a box blade and rippers.

If the ground has been disced before, just use the disc again. The ground bed will loosen over time and get easier. If you have some rocks, rake them out or just plan on replacing a disc every once in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
      If the ground has been disced before, just use the disc again. The ground bed will loosen over time and get easier. If you have some rocks, rake them out or just plan on replacing a disc every once in awhile.
      I don’t have a disc. I was able to borrow one for my former 50hp tractor but my little 26hp is too small.

Comment

Chain harrows are pretty versatile.

Comment

Box blade with rippers down and remove the rocks it pulls up. Then when it rains you will see another rock garden appear. I suffer from same soil type

Comment

Chisel plow , then chain harrow

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
              This.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                Chisel plow , then chain harrow
                This followed by a lighter 4 foot disc.

Comment

Will a chain harrow dig in or just scratch the top?

Comment

I think I've decided on a 5' disc harrow. Might be a little more work but should be better suited to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                      Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      I think I've decided on a 5' disc harrow. Might be a little more work but should be better suited to the ground.
                      My disk suffer from metal fatigue in rocky county, crack ,Break
                      And require welding or disk and bearings replaced

I disk or chisel then seed and finish dragging a piece of chain length fence weighted down with tires
                      Planting radishes will help break up the soil for next year
                      Happy hunting this year

Comment

Working...
                      X