Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Ray will post up in here.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
      I've heard the cheap scallops you get in restaurants is actually stingray. Is that true?

Sorry for the off subject question. The stingray pics made me think of that.
      I've eaten it off a big ray like that and it was great!

Comment

I used to tie a stingray 3-5 lb to a life vest swim the bait as far as i could swim then i would drop the bait and signal to shore with a flashlight that the bait was dropped so that they could set the weight and drag on the reel. I would then put the life vest on and swim back to shore . On more than one Passion they would have a 200 + pound bull shark on before i got back to shore.

Not sure I would do that today !!!!!

Comment

I won't have much to contribute to the thread anymore, but we used to run PINS constantly and brought in quite a few toothies so I'm always interested in following along. We stick fart around with them on castable lines at our fish camp but nothing compared to actual surf fishing and a fully rigged out truck running the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
            I used to tie a stingray 3-5 lb to a life vest swim the bait as far as i could swim then i would drop the bait and signal to shore with a flashlight that the bait was dropped so that they could set the weight and drag on the reel. I would then put the life vest on and swim back to shore . On more than one Passion they would have a 200 + pound bull shark on before i got back to shore.
            you sir, are officially NUTS!

Comment

Matagorda beach from about the 8 mile to 14 mile is a very deep first gut. We've caught some big bull sharks at night during the summer time over there. Match your leaders to your gear, size wise, I used coated steel cable. Some guys used to use weed eater string back in the day. Good luck out there.

Comment

nice catch…………………
                Glad you let him go...………………...

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post

Not sure I would do that today !!!!!

Nice to know you’ve found your mind because you obviously had lost it at one time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here you go Muzzy...

Just do a search using shark in the title of the thread and Poco as started by... You'll get all the shark fishing done right you would ever want to read about. Poco is THE MAN when it comes to catching sharks off the bank!!

Comment

Wish I had more time to fish the surf but then I'd have to spend less time chasing deer, ducks, and turkeys. Here are a couple of my better catches from the surf. The bull shark with the red measuring stick and the bodyless shark were from the end of July/beginning of August time frame.

Got a really good run on that rod but didn't hook up. Fiance ended up reeling in the bodyless shark. Was baited up with half a skipjack. Didn't know the little guy was on there since he wasn't strong enough to break the weight free. The big run was from the big shark picking up the little shark. The old surf salts say little shark was a great bait
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by MooseontheLoose; 07-16-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Uh not to be a stickler, but that's a "Tailless" shark! Head looks fine to me...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Uh not to be a stickler, but that's a "Tailless" shark! Head looks fine to me...
                          You're right. Fixed.

Comment

August was always one of my favorite months for shark fishing years ago when I was really into it. I caught this 8' long 171# Scalloped Hammerhead at San Luis Pass in August 1988. I didn't know it at the time but it was a State record for few weeks until Billy Sandifer caught a 195# at Padre.

I was fishing a surf tournament and it took first place beating a 7' long 168# Bull.

My favorite bait was live mullet as big as I could get, and I put as many on the hook as I could fit. I usually used several hooks on the last 24" of a 20' long 1/8" steel cable attached to 80# Trilene Big Game mono. I had 13 big mullet on for bait when I caught that Hammerhead...looked like a lost stringer of fish.

Sharks have a great sense of smell, but they have an AMAZING sense of electro-reception. They can sense LIVE bait even when they are upcurrent, unlike the dead bait most fishermen use.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              August was always one of my favorite months for shark fishing years ago when I was really into it. I caught this 8' long 171# Scalloped Hammerhead at San Luis Pass in August 1988. I didn't know it at the time but it was a State record for few weeks until Billy Sandifer caught a 195# at Padre.

I was fishing a surf tournament and it took first place beating a 7' long 168# Bull.

My favorite bait was live mullet as big as I could get, and I put as many on the hook as I could fit. I usually used several hooks on the last 24" of a 20' long 1/8" steel cable attached to 80# Trilene Big Game mono. I had 13 big mullet on for bait when I caught that Hammerhead...looked like a lost stringer of fish.

Sharks have a great sense of smell, but they have an AMAZING sense of electro-reception. They can sense LIVE bait even when they are upcurrent, unlike the dead bait most fishermen use.

That’s awesome. Very good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not shark related but I have a house on Matagorda peninsula that we fish the surf a lot catch a lot of trout
                                going to try to make it shark fishing someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X