No announcement yet.

Another Brisket Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely wouldn’t take fat out from between the point and flat, that seems counterproductive to me. Then again the point is my favorite part, and I chop the flat.

I’ve never had a bit of luck with any brisket that large, I refuse to buy one over 14lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Out of curiosity, did you check temp when you cut it? I like to cut and eat around 150 after a slow cook down. I’ve never experienced butcher paper degrading my experience. Prime obviously more juicy than choice.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
        The fat cap is on the bottom of the trimmed picture. I left 1/4 inch and little more on the point because it faces the hot side of the smoker. I also trim off 75% of the fat in between the flat and point(always have).

I wanted to pull closer to 200 but the flat was not probe tender till it reached 205ish. The point was done at 205 but I cooked it till the flat was tender. I separate the 2 muscles and make chopped out of the point anyway.

The last 3-4 briskets I smoked I let rest 6-7 hours mostly due to getting done earlier than we wanted to eat. They have been some of the best briskets I`ve cooked.
        Looks great and bet it tastes awesome. Thanks for posting all the details, I’m still learning so your info is real helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
          The fat cap is on the bottom of the trimmed picture. I left 1/4 inch and little more on the point because it faces the hot side of the smoker. I also trim off 75% of the fat in between the flat and point(always have).

I wanted to pull closer to 200 but the flat was not probe tender till it reached 205ish. The point was done at 205 but I cooked it till the flat was tender. I separate the 2 muscles and make chopped out of the point anyway.

The last 3-4 briskets I smoked I let rest 6-7 hours mostly due to getting done earlier than we wanted to eat. They have been some of the best briskets I`ve cooked.

Good deal....You do pretty much what I do for every brisket...except resting them that long. The trim and the rub look great pre-cook there! The only fat I remove between the point and the flat is a big portion of the big heavy chunk fat since it renders like crap. I have no idea what percentage that is but I try to remove a good v cut down into it. It's pretty much worthless and bark does not form on it well. I also cook choice and select cuts 95% of the time that I buy on sale. I rarely have a dry one these days but when I do, I end up blaming it on the piece of meat. Seriously though, occasionally one will do that to you. A dry brisket is usually an underdone brisket pulled too early and not allowed to breakdown properly. But at those temps you listed it was at, you did your part. Chalk it up to that and chop it up and enjoy.

Last edited by Smart; 06-09-2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I’ve never had a bit of luck with any brisket that large, I refuse to buy one over 14lbs.

Agreed on that. Give me 10-12 lbs and I'm happy

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              You finished it a little hot for me normally, but I've had to take a handful of them to 205 to get them to probe tender.
              This was my first thought. 205 and 210 is a little high imo. Looks great though and like said each piece of meat is always different so results vary. I just started using the pink paper recently and love it.

Comment

Working...
              X