Axis Deer and Freezing Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Deer and Freezing Weather

This is our 1st year having Axis on the ranch in the Hill Country. Those of you that have experienced freezing temperatures, will this freeze kill the Axis? I have heard both yes & no. We have put out plenty of Alfalfa & our feeders are throwing protein. Don’t know what more to do.

Liquid water would be nice.

Comment

Nope. Very resilient animals. They live outside and are used to elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
        Nope. Very resilient animals. They live outside and are used to elements.
        No problems, I have axis feeding right now in my radish, oat , rye fields
        They are native to the Himalayan mountains in India and such

Comment

We have lost axis, Blackbuck and Oryx in these cold temps. Last 7” of snow a month ago we lost at least 2 axis, 2 Blackbuck and 4 Oryx. They don’t do well in cold temps especially freezing multiple days in a row. I have done all the prep I can do putting out plenty of alfalfa, bales of hay (they eat and bed in it) as well as protein topped off. I still expect to lose some since we won’t be above freezing from Saturday night through Friday.

Comment

They may be resilient, but were talking moisture and negative temperatures in some areas. Some will likely die.

Comment

Some will die for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperExotics View Post
                They may be resilient, but were talking moisture and negative temperatures in some areas. Some will likely die.
                Yup. 30 degree temps no problem. Ice, sleet, snow and single digits plus wind chills some will die.

Comment

No chance! Buddies place is loaded in axis and snowing there now

Comment

I expect to lose some black buck, but never had a problem with axis. They get up into the foothills of the Himalayas, so they should be cold tolerant.

Comment

I feel horrible. My feeders ran out last week. I had full intentions on going today and filling them up and draining the water in my camper. Road conditions say otherwise. We are low fence so they do have options but dangit. I feel like they really rely on our feeders. I'm gonna try again in the morning to make it but its not looking good.

Comment

I’ve already lost a fallow buck and it’s only in the 20s.

Comment

Most will live, some will perish. 36 hours below freezing is pretty stressful for them and we’ll have multiple days below freezing across much of their range in Texas.

Comment

Not looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                              I feel horrible. My feeders ran out last week. I had full intentions on going today and filling them up and draining the water in my camper. Road conditions say otherwise. We are low fence so they do have options but dangit. I feel like they really rely on our feeders. I'm gonna try again in the morning to make it but its not looking good.
                              I highly doubt your feeders feeding will change anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X