Driving on sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving on sand

I think it would be awesome to drive down the Padre Island National Seashore, but have very limited experience driving on sand. We drove out last year to about mile marker 7, but I hesitated to go any farther for fear of getting stuck with the kids. I've researched it a fair amount, but want to hear the do's and don'ts from those who drive on sand regularly.

Lower tire pressure to like 10 to 15 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
      Lower tire pressure to like 10 to 15 psi
      This and buy some stuff like a 12 v air compressor,shovel and some maxtrax and a pull strap ! no chains
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Air down. Be prepared if you have to wait to get pulled out a few hours. Take recovery gear.

Comment

Don’t air down till you have to. Steady pressure on gas pedal and 4hi will just about get you through most you’ll encounter on PINS. Plan trip on and off the beach based on tide, low tide travel is best. Tow straps, shackles, shovel, jack, and a few 2x12 boards about 2-3ft long is what I take down. Be sure your spare is good and a 12v compressor is good too. An extra 12pk of beer just in case someone needs to pull you out is a nice form of payment/gesture.

Comment

If you don't have 4wd or AWD, I would not attempt it.

Comment

The more aggressive the tread the faster.they bury you...

Comment

Come-along and an anchor to wench yourself out if needed.

Comment

AT’s in sand are best, MT’s will dig

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    This and buy some stuff like a 12 v air compressor,shovel and some maxtrax and a pull strap ! no chains
                    Highly recommended. I got my Chevy 2500 buried to the frame this weekend crossing the dunes in Matagorda. 20 minutes with a shovel and a set of ebay knockoff max trax and I drove right out. I don't think you could ever get stuck enough in sand where you coudlnt get it out with those things and some sweat. Another good item is a couple buckets so you can haul water from the surf to pack down the sand in front of your tires. And make sure you have a full gas tank and plenty of drinks.

Comment

I drove all he way down PINS. 4wd and normal tires, no decease in tire pressure, but I know conditions change. travel on low tide

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        If you don't have 4wd or AWD, I would not attempt it.
                        Wholeheartedly agree. Not worth the frustration , embarrassment & cost to get unstuck

Comment

Thanks everyone! Very helpful replies.

Comment

BoB has a book out called " Beach Driving For Dummies "

May be helpful.

Comment

Pick the right day, a low tide while driving, and pay attention. Not sure how far your wanting to go but most times it's pretty easy into the low 20's

Comment

Working...
                              X