2019 Coon Carnage Count Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Sure. Real simple. A regular marshmallow is what we use when we use them. Make sure you put it in under the trigger inside the trap. You can hold the trigger out of the way while you put it in. Set trap and it holds the MM down. Just one.

Don’t let it sit all day in the sun or it will be a melted mess. We reset every night before dark.
    I'm new at this and don't mean to hijack the thread but I guess we've only had 50% success. On our two DP traps, I've had coons sneak the MM (large size) out from under the trigger without throwing it, how is that possible? I was thinking of maybe putting a toothpick through them, crossways, to maybe help it snag on the trigger inside?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
      I'm new at this and don't mean to hijack the thread but I guess we've only had 50% success. On our two DP traps, I've had coons sneak the MM (large size) out from under the trigger without throwing it, how is that possible? I was thinking of maybe putting a toothpick through them, crossways, to maybe help it snag on the trigger inside?

You have some smart coons. I've never had to modify it. Yes we have some get it out but it is rare. Some folks swear by the small marshmallows or corn because they have to get their hands in their multiple times and the more they have their hands in there the better chances of tripping it off. Toothpick sounds like a great idea too.

Also you might try setting the dog on the outside edge of the trigger mechanism to give it more of a hair trigger.

Comment

Getting a MM out of there w/o triggering it is fo sure talented.

Only time I’ve had a trap picked clean w/o triggering it was during a muddy spell. I did not clean a trap up after catching a coon one night. It had quite I bit of mud on it. I just reset/baited and got out of there. Once that mud dried out & set up that trigger level was darn stiff. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

me and my buddy have caught 4 of the little bait thieves so far this year

so 151 havent ran traps yet today so may be more

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Ziiiiiip!!! Nice!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	March 2019 coon.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	24573106

153 on peanut butter in a Dukes.

Comment

got another last night 154

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    You have some smart coons. I've never had to modify it. Yes we have some get it out but it is rare. Some folks swear by the small marshmallows or corn because they have to get their hands in their multiple times and the more they have their hands in there the better chances of tripping it off. Toothpick sounds like a great idea too.

Also you might try setting the dog on the outside edge of the trigger mechanism to give it more of a hair trigger.
                    yes, true on the hair trigger. Need to experiment.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      yes, true on the hair trigger. Need to experiment.
                      Thanks!
                      Technically that should read:

"Also you might try setting the trigger mechanism on the outside edge of the dog to give it more of a hair trigger."

Brainfart..
                      Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Went 5 for 5 on the duke DP traps. Was my first time trying them. Picked one up at the feed store on an impulse buy... then returned for another the next day. Just used small peices of rice crispy treats.

154 + 5 = 159.

Ordered 6 more off of amazon.

I want to be like Chew when I grow old.... er.

Comment

Do you guys ever catch multiples at a feeder in one set regularly? I bought one... caught one. Bought another for the 2nd feeder.... and caught 2 a night for the next 2 nights.

Comment

2 more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              Do you guys ever catch multiples at a feeder in one set regularly? I bought one... caught one. Bought another for the 2nd feeder.... and caught 2 a night for the next 2 nights.

Doubles are fairly common at our place. We set 3-4 traps per pen at some of them so the opportunities are more. We have a triple and one quad... 4 for 4 in that pen one night. 2 females and 2 youngins

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

We got 4 Dukes anchored to the 4 corners of a hog trap. Most coons we’ve caught in a night was 3. Caught 2 four times and 1 twice. Looks like we’ve only got 1 left coming regularly. Hope to get it tonight and then maybe we can get back to catching pigs.

Caught 1 last night:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X