Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolled Subaru on I-70 at Greenfield IN exit, laid on side of the road bleeding out all busted up. until EMT's were able to get me on a stretcher, took three of them and two police men to hold me down, woke in a hospital 13 days later and went home three days after that. Skull and eye socket where fractured and all healed without medical assisstance. Docotors could not explain why I was not paralyzed, crippled and blind. That was 33 years ago and have not tried it again since.
    Last edited by Wudstix; 07-18-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Summer of 85.

A friend and I had gone varmint hunting one night, he brought his then girlfriend along and the seat was way too small for 3. So with him driving with me riding in the back of his 78 Chevy LUV with the spotlight. We finished that and decided to head back to the house.

I got the gate, hopped back into the bed of the truck and off we went, in my brilliant, 19 yr old wisdom I though it would be cool to toss beer bottles at the road signs. I was standing in the bed "holding on" to the cab, beer in one hand, empty in the other...sign comes up, blam!!

Now we're on a 2 lane FM, signs on both side right? That's where this went south.

I remember leaning over a little to grab another bottle for the sign coming up in our lane, didn't even consider the back of the sign in the opposite lane.... but my buddy, the drive did. Seems he made a bit of a swerve in that direction, to get us closer to it...while I was still leaned over after the next bottle.

Now, it's summer so I'm wearing nothing but a pair of Nike Legends, warm up pants and a tank top...

The next bit happened in about 1/10th of a second. As he swerved left, of course I go right, stumbling over a spare tire in the bed of this tiny little pick up, I remember thinking "OH ****!" about the time I was going head first over the bed side.

Best he could remember, we were doing about 50ish(thankfully a stock, beater Chevy LUV didn't go much faster than that), my right hand was the first thing to make contact with the pavement, but only for a split second, followed immediately by the right side of my face. I remember seeing a quick flash of red/white, hearing the thud of my skull, and actually have all the events I had planned, and how ****** my boss was going to be from me missing work, flash before my eyes.

After the face plant, I started rolling, tumbling, bouncing and skidding...I recall hearing his girlfriend scream and thought to myself... you're dead now buddy...way to go.

About that time, I could smell tire rubber and hear the sound of skidding, and caught a brief flash of brake lights right about the time I came to a complete stop... it seems a Chvey LUV comes to a complete stop much faster than a rolling idiot. I slammed into the back bumper, coming up on both knees, within a few seconds, my friend was standing in front of me in a sheer panic, ripping his shirt off to wrap it around what was left of my face, lead me to the seat, get back in and haul butt to Burnet...16 miles away.

I fought passing out all the way there, we get to the ER, and now the adrenaline has started wearing off, the pain from a full body rasberry is kicking in, along with the fact that I am now looking through my right eyebrow. Within 10 minutes or so I had then Dr Shepard stitching me up, while the nurse picked gravel and who knows what else out of about every high spot on my body. Later had to have the patellar tendon in my knee reattached. Stitched up, xrayed etc, Doc told me I was lucky to be alive.
      Hair still matted with dried blood, my bud took me home, poured me in to bed... I woke up 3 days later staring at the dresser mirror.
      Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I guess the closest for me would be this
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342667980.911346.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24095767
        Yes, that's an arrow

Comment

Originally posted by smb250 View Post
          I guess the closest for me would be this
          [ATTACH]365218[/ATTACH]
          Yes, that's an arrow
          WOW!!!! What's the story behind that....if you're willing to share.

Comment

Which time? Was hit by a pickup while riding a snowmachine, hit by a car while riding a snowmachine a year later. Landed on my head on that one and cracked my helmet right down the middle. Landing in Anchorage during a snowstorm, the pilot failed to call for strobes and aimed for the wrong end of the runway, almost landed in Cook Inlet. I was sitting just in front of the wing and got an up-close and personal view of the water and ice from about 40 feet. Yeah, we were in a 737.

The worst however was falling through the ice at Prudhoe Bay while on field trip when I was a Junior in high school. Barely caught myself but was in the water up to my chest with my arms spread and I could feel the current pulling me under. A couple of others tried to get to me to pull me out bu the ice started breaking under them. Was finally able to pull myself out by grabbing a chunk of ice and had to belly crawl about 100 yards in ten below. It was only October, so not cold yet. Apparently, nobody had told the tour guide/bus driver that ARCO had been testing a new ice breaker in that area earlier in the week. Had I gone all the way through, my body never would have been found.

By the grace of God, I am still here and His plan for me must not be completed yet.
            Last edited by str8shooter; 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXZiggy View Post
              You will find thread on here titled
              Bow Accident Wharton County

Comment

Originally posted by TXZiggy View Post
                Please share if you feel up to it. Can't believe your eyes are open. I would have been passed out!

Comment

Wow some good and bad tales here that kept me up to late reading all of them. I have some crazy stories about stupid reckless things I've done but I'm not proud of them and they were not near death that I know of by the grace of God. I will say falling asleep while driving on a highway and waking up in the ditch taking out road signs is sobering.

I'm glad for those that have survived some harrowing stories here I'm sorry for yalls pain and for those that lost others tragically, and thanks to those that serve military and Leo alike.
                  Good night all and may God watch everyone and their families
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                    Please share if you feel up to it. Can't believe your eyes are open. I would have been passed out!
                    Since some are new here. So you don't have to search for thread. I am gunsmith at R&M Firearms in El Campo. I was helping a customer with a bow because our bow tech, Dean, was busy with another customer. The guy wanted to try out a Mathews Z7 Extreme. I checked his draw length and handed him demo bow. I was standing to his right and about 4 feet behind him. He drew bow and for some reason decided to let it down. The bow torqued out of his left had and slingshot around and right at me. I blocked with forearm and arrow went under my arm and stuck in right side of face. I grabbed the arrow and stepped backwards to pull it out of bow. Rest is ambulance rides and surgeries. All healed up now.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342669773.011414.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24095773

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342669796.755702.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	24095775

Comment

Island hopping in Greece and we were on Santorini. I drank a little too much and wondered from the hotel (wife was sleeping) and walked out onto a rocky finger on this cliff and barely caught myself. The next morning I went out to where I remember walking and the same spot I almost fell was over a 100 foot straight drop of the cliff to the rocky bottom.... Yes, I know stupid...

Comment

Gratefully I havent had many close calls besides getting into a couple fights in college and later finding out if the guys got back to their vehicles, they had way more ammo than we did...

Comment

Originally posted by smb250 View Post
                          You will find thread on here titled
                          Bow Accident Wharton County
                          Found it...scary stuff. Glad you're ok!

Comment

Motorcycle accident.................forced off road by cell phone talker in Chevy Suburban......50 mph on an uphill curve...............in the gravel and off pavement.........group of mail boxes and light pole coming at me....left side down....me airborne.....life flight to Herman Hospital.........7-broken ribs,2-broken vertebrae...major road rash on left arm.
                            Helment with full face visor saved my life.
                            Took one short ride on buddies bike after recovery........sold what lwas left of mine for parts.
                            Moving on to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by pazthru View Post
                              Motorcycle accident.................forced off road by cell phone talker in Chevy Suburban......50 mph on an uphill curve...............in the gravel and off pavement.........group of mail boxes and light pole coming at me....left side down....me airborne.....life flight to Herman Hospital.........7-broken ribs,2-broken vertebrae...major road rash on left arm.
                              Helment with full face visor saved my life.
                              Took one short ride on buddies bike after recovery........sold what lwas left of mine for parts.
                              Moving on to other things.
                              Glad you made it and are all right

Comment

Thanks. It just was not my time to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X