How many feeders do you run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many feeders do you run?

Do you run more than one at each or some locations? I am nearly 9 hours from the lease. So, I run two due to my experience with battery and mechanical problems, dirty corn from the local Coop and platoons of 50 pound coons that can bend metal. It also gives me a 1,200 pound total capacity per spot.

How y'all roll?

I have 1,000 lb corn feeders and 1,000 lb protein feeders at each hunting spot.

Running two smaller ones just gives you two chances of having one fail. In your scenario, if one stops feeding you’re still gonna run out of corn before you go back.
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-07-2023, 09:06 PM.

Comment

when I hunted real rough terrain of the hill country I had 2 feeders at each stand. that was mostly because from one stand I could hunt 2 different draws the way the terrain was. now that we moved leases and hunt much flatter land I only have 1 running at each stand. I think it just depends on the place and the terrain personally.

Comment

My son and I both have the same setup. A large protein feeder, a spin corn feeder, an alfalfa basket feeder, and a mineral salt block stump.

Kinda like OP’s theory…. If something goes down we still have plenty to keep bringing them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m running 2 1,000s one corn one protein at one spot the other is a massive pen with a 1k protein 600 corn and another 2k protein with another 1k corn outside the pen

Comment

Comment

As in 2 **** many. We have 11 feeders at 8 stands. 2 of those feeders are 1000 lbs and 2 are made out of a 250 gallon propane tank that we split in half and made feeders out of that hold 750 lbs. 3 stands have 2 feeders that are close to each other that we have one feed in morning and one in the after noon so we don’t have to fill as often.

Comment

2 per stand with me. 600lb corn and 600lb timed protein. Used to have a big alfalfa feeder at each but got tired of them eating two 3 strand bales in 10-11 days and at night with me being 5 hours away. I would usually come back in two weeks to it gone...then there was the whole night time thing during season. Sold the alfalfa feeders and changed them to timed protein and put them more on my schedule..

Comment

2 corn feeders and a protein at each stand. I started off with the 2 corn feeders at each stand when I was 6 hours away. If one sent down I still had one going. Nothing more frustrating than driving 6 hours for a weekend hunt that you only get 3 hunts (sat morning, sat evening, and Sunday morning) and your first hunt is wasted because your feeder isn’t working and you didn’t know it till it’s too late. Now I’m only 2 hours and have started feeding protein. Having 3 feeders spreads the deer out some. We have so many deer it’s hard to get a shot off when they are all crammed up together. I also corn the roads when I’m hunting and they prefer the road corn to anything else, also helps spread them out even more.

Comment

Started running a second corn feeder this year with no pen around it for pigs. The deer took to it by the second day. And have a 500# protein feeder with corn feeder in a pen.

Hunted a buddies this year. Every stand had 2 feeders and deer hung out longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some stands 2 feeders, some 1. Got 1 with 2 corn feeders & 1 timed protein.
                      1 timed protein feeder that isn't hunted
                      Last edited by DUKFVR; 02-07-2023, 10:31 PM.

Comment

1 feeder for every 75 acres.

Comment

11 corn feeders, 5 cottonseed feeders, 5 protein feeders & some hay feeders. The deer eat better than we do.

Comment

0 right now. But ran 1k lbs at each setup. They would last 6 months or more.

Comment

"WE" run 1-1000# 9-600# 3-300# on 2400 acres. All corn August thru January. Everyone is supposed to bring 10 bags each trip. Works out about half the time. But it keeps them full.
                              Now road feeders....Some think it's the Land of Oz and lay down the Yellow Brick Road a lot.
                              That will break the bank!

Comment

Working...
                              X