City Chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Chickens

Well, outside of the city but still Katy. Apparently, we’re allowed to have chickens. Wife wants 2-3 egg layers. What is the quietest and most prolific egg layer breed?

Cinnamon queens or production reds. Hens are pretty quiet. No roosters.

Comment

If you want 2-3 might aw well get 6......we have 33 hens and chicks shipped and in next week. Hens really aren't noisy at all unless laying or mad another is in "her" box........

Comment

probably a better idea to start with how many eggs you want and at what rate, then figure out what hens to go with. that said, cinnamon queens and production reds are great starters and there's a decent chance you can find some that are just off their first year of production and getting moved out of ranches. you trade off their first year of high production but at the same time you don't have to raise them from chicks. there's also leghorns.

Comment

red production or barred rocks
          very calm and lay large brown eggs

Comment

I put mine in a converted rabbit hutch and placed it outside a 10x10 dog pen up against the outside chain-link fence of the pen then I cut the chain-link in a small area and had the gang plank go through the chain-link into the door of the rabbit hutch from inside the dog pen. Put some hardware cloth around the outside where the gangplank went through the chain-link and stappled it to the wooden rabbit hutch and zip tied it to the chainlink. Put some chicken wire over the top of dog pen and I can keep them in there when we are gone. Put a 2x4" in the hutch off the bottom for them to hop on to roost when they go in there at night too.

I raised the chicks in the hutch and now they roost in there as they got older.

5 or 6 would be best number probably in case a couple crooked.
            I like red sex links, Barred Rock or Orpington breeds

Comment

I would get White Leghorns. Nice good size white eggs everyday.

Comment

Get a variety. For most productive and prettiest eggs, I go for black sex link. When my others shut down, these ladies keep pumping them out. Eggs are darker brown than Barred Rocks or Rhode Island Reds, which I also recommend. Light brown eggs.

Throw in an Americana just because blue/green eggs are cool.
                Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 02-07-2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I have black Australorps. I don’t think there’s a more productive egg layer out there.

Like others said, get 6 hens, and no rooster.

Comment

Close those chickens up in a backyard and walking barefoot could be interesting if you free range them any at all. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                      Close those chickens up in a backyard and walking barefoot could be interesting if you free range them any at all. Good luck.
                      Speaking of free ranging them. They will ruin your yard. They will scratch out holes to dust themselves in. Been there, that's why I raise quail now.

Comment

We have several breeds but our white leg horns lay the most eggs. Some of them are 6 years old and still laying..we have coocoo marans, red sex links, Americana and a couple more I can't think of.. out of 20 hens we get 13 to 15 eggs a day.

Comment

They are nasty hope you got a big yard and an area to keep them contained in

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                            They are nasty hope you got a big yard and an area to keep them contained in

Yard isn’t huge. Normal suburbia yard I guess.. plan is to keep them mostly in the run but let them out into the main yard every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                              probably a better idea to start with how many eggs you want and at what rate, then figure out what hens to go with. that said, cinnamon queens and production reds are great starters and there's a decent chance you can find some that are just off their first year of production and getting moved out of ranches. you trade off their first year of high production but at the same time you don't have to raise them from chicks. there's also leghorns.

We probably eat 5-6 eggs every breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                              X