Skid steer info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skid steer info

Looking at buying a skid steer for the ranch.

I’ve seen a few trade on here.

If you have some experiences....good and bad....with certain brands or sizes, I’d like to hear about them.

And any TBHers selling them? Probably get a new one.

stay away from john deere. I had a guy out to do work at my place and he had been through several issues, even broke down out there on me. Brand new large unit...it was all covered under warranty but left us unable to work.

Most was hydraulic lines issues and fittings.

Alot of them use the kubota diesel or mitsubishi which are great engines that you can expect 2000 hrs plus without major problems.

id suggest renting a few different sized ones and see what you like. Theres a big difference from the bobcat T590 and lets say a large t870...

Definitely get a Track type its so much more versatile imo esp if you plan to do any side work in landscaping

Although a good operator can make a t590 do just about anything and its 1/2 ton towable w a good trailer

Comment

We’ve got an ASV RT-30 that has really impressed me. We’ve used bobcat, caterpillar, John Deere, Takeuchi, over the years. I’ve always preferred the Caterpillars over any other brand. Kubota is also known for some really good skids as well. If I was you, I’d look at kubota, caterpillar and ASV. Find the size you’d like and do some comparing. I will say this: WHATEVER brand you end up with make sure it’s on tracks and not tires… Skid steers with tires will make you cuss and make it hard to get out of bed the next day lol.

Comment

I've got a Cat 236b, its a good machine. Everything is controlled with joysticks accept the throttle pedal. I ran bobcats for years with foot controls. I didnt think I would like the joy sticks but I prefer them now.

Comment

Ive got a cat 299D3 and it has been great. I have a few small gripes about it but overall it has been flawless.

For general ranch work i dont think you can go wrong with Cat, kubota, deere or bobcat for a 75hp size machine. I think something around a 289 cat or the equivalent 75hp in other brands would be ideal for general ranch work.

Im not going to lie the JCB are cool looking machines but parts availabilty and overall support would scare me. But the side entry and extenda boom would be super handy for every day general utility work.

ASV have there place but they are not what you are looking for they are plagued with to many issues.

Comment

Stay away from one that’s been mulching.

I don’t know anyone with a kabota that’s been happy. I don’t know anything about the Deere. I’ve got a 259D CAT and it’s been flawless for years, but I know some bigger models have their problems. Mostly DEF and sensors (mine don’t have def)

Comment

Cat on Tracks !
              Don’t drive it in your yard though.
              Have 259D as well, bullet proof.

Comment

Mine’s a Cat 289D3. I love that machine. That’s exactly what I’d buy if I needed another.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
                  We’ve got an ASV RT-30 that has really impressed me. We’ve used bobcat, caterpillar, John Deere, Takeuchi, over the years. I’ve always preferred the Caterpillars over any other brand. Kubota is also known for some really good skids as well. If I was you, I’d look at kubota, caterpillar and ASV. Find the size you’d like and do some comparing. I will say this: WHATEVER brand you end up with make sure it’s on tracks and not tires… Skid steers with tires will make you cuss and make it hard to get out of bed the next day lol.
                  I agree with you but these newer asv are getting better and worse it seems. It seems like if they arent leaking hyd oil somewhere you better start looking for a place to put it because shes out. And there UC are much more labor intensive and costly to work on.

Comment

Kinda like trucks, they all break. Find a brand/dealer that will give you good customer service after the sale. We run a John Deere 333........it is a beast

Comment

We got a Kubota SVL 95 2 years ago and have had no issues at all with the machine. We use it with a mulcher about 50% of the time and it does a great job. We do maintain our equipment very well. It's also on tracks. We had a JD on wheels prior to this machine and would never go back to wheels again. The JD was a good machine but had minor issues with it.

Comment

Whatever dealer/service you can develop the best relationship with.
                        I’ve been happy with Bobcat of North Texas
                        I have a T450 and a lot of hours on T770
                        Both joystick machines. I’ll never go back to pedals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been in the business over 40 years, the SS market changes with time. For now the Kubota in the best bang for your buck. Really heavy frame machine with access belly pans to help with debris removal. They took some really key design features from Takeuchi which is also a great Compact Track Loader.
                          I have been buying the SVL75 track machines for their versatility & weight. The 95 is a beast. The Kubota has simple features in the cab with a Takeuchi style front door & suspension seat. Don't forget who builds their engines. I have 1 in High Flow & several with standard hydraulics. Most machines have close to 4000 Hours on them & almost ZERO problems.

Comment

I have an older New Holland LX885 that is tank. It's got over 6k hours on it and while it won't win any beauty contests, it does the job. You can usually find a deal on them, especially in the winter on places like FB and the like.

Whatever machine you buy, make sure to get the manual on it and learn to fix it yourself and keep up on the maintenance. You'll save tons in time, hauling it, and money without getting a dealer involved. Messicks.com is my go to site for parts.

Comment

I have a Kubota svl95 that I bought from here. It's done everything I've asked plus some. It's rated for 3500# but I've had 4000+ on it several times and it liked it. It's a beast to haul though. Currently looking for a mulcher to put in front of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X