Freestone County Plots/Trees and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freestone County Plots/Trees and more

I decided to start a thread mainly to chronicle what I'm doing and maybe help someone out along the way. I always enjoy seeing others set ups and how they hunt them, so I thought I would share mine as well.

The place I hunt is my dad's 100 acre farm. He runs a few cows and has 7 different pastures to rotate them...so lots of cross fencing and mostly open hay fields. There's a dry creek bed that has lots of cover and cuts the property basically in half. I have a micro food plot and feeder here. We fenced the creek off to keep cows out of there which left enough room to create that micro plot.

Then a second dry creek bed and 10 acres of hardwoods in the southwest corner where I mainly hunt and have a half acre food plot this year. Past years it's been much bigger. I also have a feed pen and added a gate this year for my dad to get in and out for easy hand corning.

Here is a pic of what I got going on at the micro plot. Which is wheat, oats, ladino white clover
    Attached Files

Back of the property food plot. Again Oats, wheat, and ladino clover

Here is my water tank bow/rifle blind. To the right is my pen, and 99% of the time the deer come out on the right side of the image anywhere from a 15 to 30 yard shot. The blind is set up for a north or northwest wind.
    Attached Files

Comment

10 panel pen, added a gate this year so my dad can easliy get in. Already regret not making it big enough for my dad to just drive his mule in and dump a bag or two of corn.
      Attached Files

Comment

#1 on the hit list is this old 7pt I call Plenty Wide. He was a 9 the last two years and around 20 inches wide. This is the best picture from this year and he lost some width and points but still a brute. (I will go back when I have time and find a picture from last year) He's been MIA but hoping he comes back to corn in late December like he did the last two years. My guess is he 7.5 this year.
        Attached Files

Comment

That is a brute!!!!
          Nice plots. Ours did well in Leon this year also
          Curious, why not auto feeder?
          Not to say what you are doing won’t work!

Comment

Here's a buck I hope I don't see this year or anyone else for that matter. I'm guessing he's 4.5 but will gladly take opinions. Split G2's have been very common with this herd.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
              That is a brute!!!!
              Nice plots. Ours did well in Leon this year also
              Curious, why not auto feeder?
              Not to say what you are doing won’t work!
              I think this is the 12th year my dad has owned this place and starting off I used feeders but had only hogs, does, and small bucks using them. Ocassionaly a mature buck. So I added a pen with a feeder and only eliminated the hogs. Around 5 or 6 years ago I read what Garguy was doing and got the feeders out and started corn piles and hand corning. The older bucks came in more often, like daily in daylight compared to every once and awhile and mostly at night.

I've killed two the last two years. A 9 point with split G2's and mature wide 6pt. Before that I was zeroed every year, mainly because I was passing younger bucks and doing most of my hunting in Hamilton county.

There's been chances, I wounded a solid 8 point right in the front shoulder and blew it on a giant the second year we owned the property. I was stalking him while he fed in the hay field on vetch and he caught movement...ballgame

Long answer lol sorry.

Comment

Buck on the right is called "Trashy". Split Brows and a few nobs on his bases. Probably just 3.5 and looking forward to see what he looks like next year and possibly year after.

Very killable this year. He's been on the corn non stop, every morning and afternoon and throughout the night.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
                  10 panel pen, added a gate this year so my dad can easliy get in. Already regret not making it big enough for my dad to just drive his mule in and dump a bag or two of corn.
                  I like that, need to do the same with mine, and maybe move the feeder elsewhere and just hand feed.

Comment

Updated December pic of Trashy bases. Short tines but I bet he makes a jump next year.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Another pic of TB
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tagged. Good luck. I have a buddy that hunts in the buffalo area and hog hunted a lot of freestone. It’s getting better and better for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a buck I shot in 2016. I had him at 4.5 and teeth actually said 3.5 but very well could have been 4. He's on my wall now but the next season had me wishing he was still here and wondering what those horns could have turned into. I have pics of him the previous year to these and man he made a big jump. Will post them when I can find them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

very nice deer

Comment

great looking deer and great looking spot for sure, keep it updated this spring and i will try to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X