Need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help

I just inherited from a friend of mine after he moved, a Sarrels Superstition longbow. It’s a 62” bow and the draw weight is 64# at 28”, my draw length is normally 31”. I’m trying to shoot this thing and I’m shaking like a dog trying to pass peach pits while aiming. I’m pretty sure I’m over bowed. I really like shooting but am frustrated because I am used to hitting what I’m aiming at. Am I better off selling this thing and finding another bow that fits me better or continuing on shooting this bow and hoping it gets better. If selling is the best bet what’s this bow worth?

Yeah a lower draw weight will cut your learning curve way down. You can check your draw length by clipping a clothes pin on the arrow and drawing to anchor letting the front of the shelf slide it out on the arrow. Then measure to the pin. Anything over or under 28" you can add or subtract 2 to 3 pounds per inch of difference. So if your bow is marked 64@28 and you are drawing 31 add 9 pounds. Pretty darn stiff.
    Not sure on the bow value. I know his bows are not cheap but a good value. However heavier poundage bows can be tougher to move. You might want to start around 40lbs at your draw length. Or less if you really want to make learning form easier.
    Gary
    Last edited by DRT; 02-23-2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

All you are going to do with that bow is learn bad habits that will be waaaaaaaaaay harder unlearn when you finally give up and go to a lighter draw weight!

With an 80# compound with 80% letoff, you would be holding back 16# at full draw. With that superstition at 30”, you are holding back 70# at full draw. Easy to see why you would be shaking like crazy. Like said above, getting a bow that is closer to 40# at your DL would be much easier to learn on.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
      X