Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this thread dried up on the vine

Comment

LOL, I don't think that there are a lot of guys frequenting this forum. You can go over to archerytalk.com and get about twenty five guys to tell you that an ILF set-up is the way to go. I can almost write their answers for them because I've seen the same advice so many times now. Asking for advice on "what is the best bow" or "what bow should I buy" opens a can of personal biases. You are quite likely to get a different answer from everyone that chooses to participate.

My advice is to buy a used Samick Sage. You can find them anywhere from $60 to $80 in the classifieds of most sites or on Ebay. The beauty about this bow is that you can also find limbs from 20 to 60 pounds for about $45 on the used market. They are a 62" bow. Not too long and not too short so it is a good starting point. The riser has inserts installed that allow for the use of bow quivers, fishing reels, and elevated sights. IMO, you get quite a lot of bow for very little money. Use it, abuse it, what ever. They seem to just keep on going. When you are ready to move up in quality or quit, you can sell them and get most of your money back. For what they cost, I think a lot of guys just hang on to them. I have four now. Two in left and two in right handed. The standard advice is to put a good string on them. The stock string is fat and slow. It will get you started but a lower strand count string made out of harder material really wakes these bows up.

Comment

What brand of beer, car, toilet paper, etc?
        That's the can of worms. There is no "best".
        Many start out with the Sage as 60D said. I did. Killed my first trad deer with it. Bought it used and sold it for what I gave for it.
        Chances are, if the discipline grows on you, you will trade "up" as you go. Although a Sage, Black Hunter or other lower end bow will do pretty much what any bow will most like to have what fits their fancy at some point.
        Some shooters want nice wood and laminates with horn overlays etc. Others want a metal riser and carbon limbs.
        It's all personal and for most it evolves as their journey and way of enjoying it develops.

Gary

Comment

If I were you, I would take caughtandhobble's offer. There is not better way to get started than with someone who has been around for a while.

Samick Sage is a good bow. They don't have all the fancy treatments that custom bows have, so they don't look quite as good, but they shoot quite well. I have four or five custom made longbows and one recurve, a Samick Sage.

Wayne

Comment

Everyone thinks their recurve is the best....and it could be, to them....you need to get your hands on as many recurves as you can and see which one fits you better.....there is a reason you will find a price difference on bows, bows made in china will be cheaper and you should know why, but mass production bows will be cheaper than a bowyer that makes his bows.

Comment

Yeah, Im gonna start cheap, incase I cant hit a barndoor with it. Probably a Sage or Blackhunter

I just wondering what yall liked. Back when I first started bowhunting I was toying with using both kind of bows, glad I didnt. Back then I was looking at a Schaffer Silvertip, not sure if they still make those?

Comment

All my bows; 1 recurve and 3 Longbows are no longer made.

Comment

Check you local bow shops, they may have a few old ones put up some where. When I started traditional bows I went to a shop in Houston and ask if they had any , by luck they pulled 5 out from a back room . We looked them over put new string and I bought three. That was a few years back but I still shoot them today.

Comment

Forgot to tell you , when your ready for the really nice ones check out Great Plains bows and black widow custom bows .

Comment

This is not a dig at custom bowyers, But:

I would (especially knowing what I know now) start by getting a good "metal" ILF riser (JC Optimus), and a good set of limbs I could afford.

Maybe two sets of limbs to have a backup. There are lots of very well constructed, and top performing ILF limbs out there at very reasonable prices.

I could/can do all of that, and have a bow, that performs way better than most high dollar custom bows, and cost me 2/3rd's less.

The only upgrading I would ever desire (not necessarily need) would be in limbs, because the riser will last me a lifetime, and work as well on "my last day" as it did on "it's first day".

Yeah - ILF all the way for me from now on. I wish they had been available way back then.

Rick

Comment

Metal bows have no soul Rick. Lifeless entities doomed to roam the void forever. [emoji16][emoji6]

That's the thing I meant. It's a very personal thing. There is no "best" that fits all.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Metal bows have no soul Rick. Lifeless entities doomed to roam the void forever. [emoji16][emoji6]

That's the thing I meant. It's a very personal thing. There is no "best" that fits all.

Gary
                          Yeah, but they don't rot, or break.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                            Yeah, but they don't rot, or break.

Rick
                            And on an ilf bow you can put those ****** uukah (i probably misspelled that) big hook limbs. Every time I think of getting a custom recurve I remember those limbs and decide that if i ever dump that much money in a bow an ilf is what I will do. I probably would go wood riser though

Comment

Ok what is an "ilf"

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                Ok what is an "ilf"
                                International limb fitting, or something close to that. If you buy an ILF riser or bow and later want to change limbs you can choose from a huge amount of limbs from a large number of manufactures. And the limbs go from inexpensive to $$$, and recurve and longbow

Comment

Working...
                                X