Linear actuator help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linear actuator help

I want to connect a linear actuator to a deer feeder timer so that it will open, stay open for the set amount of time, and then close automatically.

How do I do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Chicken Butler set-up to open/close the door on my chicken coop and the operation is exactly what you are asking about.
    The CB kit has a linear actuator (ball screw drive) and timer.

Comment

Not sure if a regular feeder timer would work? Your probably gonna need some kind of programmable controller. A actuator that’s rated for enough push and pull force for a feeder travels very slow. Might want to run it through a DPDT relay that’s rated for the actuator motor amperage.

Comment

You're going to need a spring return actuator if you want to do it that way. There are some variables to consider:
        Only issue with a spring return type, is that you will need to provide power to it the entire time it needs to stay open.
        Alternatively, you could do it with a reversing one that will likely save you a bit of battery, but you won't be able to pull it off with a feeder timer. There are options that would allow you to do it, but they will likely be more expensive than doing it with a feeder times.
        Need to consider how long the stroke will be as well. What size is the hole you want to do this for, and what shape is it?
        Last edited by roughneck266; 12-25-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Nvmnd

Comment

Have you seen this one?

quietfeeder.com/feeder-infopictures.html

Someone posted pictures of ice workings on this site before

Comment

Yes, just too much coin for only a mechanism

Comment

Here is a link to the working parts of the quiet feeder. This should point you in the right direction.

Comment

You need the same timer that is used in the HAMMER FEEDER.

Comment

Canny, are you wanting to try to make something like the "Eliminator Spinner Plate"?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfclHlyr9a8"]The Eliminator Spinner Plate - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZS9bvKtbyw"]Eliminator spinner - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

No, I’m wanting to make something similar to the Ghost feeder shown in an earlier post

Comment

OK. I just found this. This feller used an actuator from an auto electric door lock to make his run on a 12v battery. He mentions it at about 1:42. And what else he used to build it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCXra6Jrf0"]Silent Deer Feeder - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          OK. I just found this. This feller used an actuator from an auto electric door lock to make his run on a 12v battery. He mentions it at about 1:42. And what else he used to build it.

Silent Deer Feeder - YouTube

Yeah, I’ve started looking into the door lock actuator idea. Problem is it’s a short throw, but I’m working through some ideas on how to increase that.

Comment

MAybe something like this:

Along with a linear actuator. I would think you could easily make a spring return for it, and just use a door popper, although I haven't seen a door popper with a 4" range of motion, I am certain there are ways to make it happen.
                            With a spring return on the slider there, you should be able to use any timer out there, as long as your actuator matches your voltage requirements.

Comment

The reverse polarity to close is the tricky part. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X