No announcement yet.

Constitutional Carry in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Texas House took another step Wednesday night in moving Constitutional Carry forward – despite the games being played by Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. As we told you earlier, the Senate passed HB 1927, the Constitutional Carry bill, last week. However, the Lt. Governor pushed through a packet of amendments that not only weakened the bill but also opened the … Read more

Comment

More emails sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        Out of curiosity, who certifies an instructor to teach anything other than a state mandate for a license?
        To qualify for the DPS instructor class you must have a firearm instructor certification through the National Rifle Association, USCCA, TCOLE, Security Officer training, or the military. NRA & USCCA allow teaching of their approved courses and if you get your TX LTC Instructor certification, you can teach the TX LTC course.

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
          Just a few of the larger organizations who certify instructors are:

USCCA
          TEEX A&M extension
          NRA

There are many more but these are the bigger ones here.
          I get that but if it isn’t a state mandated license, what qualifications is anyone required to get? If I wanted to teach firearms to someone, who certifies me?

Let’s say 5 people come to me and asked me to teach them tactical firearms (whatever that is) and I think I know what I’m doing. Can I teach? Am I prohibited from teaching? Does the NRA or someone else tell me that I cannot teach without their certification?

So someone says, I’m qualified to teach… is that just a selling point if they can produce a certificate or is it some kind of legal requirement was most of my questions.

Comment

I get that but if it isn’t a state mandated license, what qualifications is anyone required to get? If I wanted to teach firearms to someone, who certifies me?

Let’s say 5 people come to me and asked me to teach them tactical firearms (whatever that is) and I think I know what I’m doing. Can I teach? Am I prohibited from teaching? Does the NRA or someone else tell me that I cannot teach without their certification?

So someone says, I’m qualified to teach… is that just a selling point if they can produce a certificate or is it some kind of legal requirement was most of my questions.
            Short answer- no one certifies you. All the various certifications are nothing more than a money grab to have someone come to their course, grab a piece of paper and then try to leverage that into some semblance of teaching expertise.

As you well know, the overwhelming majority of instructors in the "home defense" business have never, ever cleared a structure of any kind in a real world setting facing a threat. Same for the weapon instructors, can't compete so I'll teach.

The only reason to attend the misery of the NRA course is for insurance access.

Bored already in retirement?

Comment

Danny Boy is a carpetbagging antigun yankee.

Comment

[QUOTE=M16;15615829]Danny Boy is a carpetbagging antigun POS ! /QUOTE]

FIFY!

Comment

Maybe his actions will make people see what a dirt bag he really is so we can get him voted out in the next election along with Cornyn

Comment

Sent more emails

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      Short answer- no one certifies you. All the various certifications are nothing more than a money grab to have someone come to their course, grab a piece of paper and then try to leverage that into some semblance of teaching expertise.

As you well know, the overwhelming majority of instructors in the "home defense" business have never, ever cleared a structure of any kind in a real world setting facing a threat. Same for the weapon instructors, can't compete so I'll teach.

The only reason to attend the misery of the NRA course is for insurance access.

Bored already in retirement?
                      A week in and yes.....

I’m not questioning anyone’s credentials or how they make money. More power to them. I just wonder when I see terms something like, I am certified to… I always wondered a certification from what or whom. What are the qualifications?

I do not intend to teach any classes however, I did more than 37 years as a police officer, 10 years on the swat team, basic swat school at Houston PD, advanced swat school (mostly shooting) at Dallas PD, FBI firearm instructor school, taught basic and tactical firearms at the Police Academy for 30 years, am a TCOLE state licensed instructor, three time Glock certified armorer, and so on. Would I be considered certified to teach? Is there something else to be considered qualified or is it just experience?

Comment

A week in and yes.....

I’m not questioning anyone’s credentials or how they make money. More power to them. I just wonder when I see terms something like, I am certified to… I always wondered a certification from what e?
                        There isn't a standard for private instructors unless you want to teach CHL. Everything else is just marketing and in my opinion what you need for insurance purposes. You have more certifications, credentials and experience than the vast majority of "instructors" out there. I taught federal, state and local LEO since the early '90's and did a bit of instruction post retirement, including 2-3 trips overseas annually, but the shine wore off.

There is a HUGE void in quality training for the civilian market. I know Paul Howe with CSAT has really increased his classes geared towards that market.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                          There isn't a standard for private instructors unless you want to teach CHL. Everything else is just marketing and in my opinion what you need for insurance purposes. You have more certifications, credentials and experience than the vast majority of "instructors" out there. I taught federal, state and local LEO since the early '90's and did a bit of instruction post retirement, including 2-3 trips overseas annually, but the shine wore off.

There is a HUGE void in quality training for the civilian market. I know Paul Howe with CSAT has really increased his classes geared towards that market.
                          Thanks. That is basically what I was wanting to know.

I believe for about the last 15 years our new swat members go to CSAT. I could imagine that there was a lot of civilian interest in programs like that. I don’t think that I would want the liability to teach myself unless under someone else’s authority, liability and insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                            Wrong, having an LTC will expedite the process. Fill out the paperwork, pay for the gun and walk out with your new toy.

No LTC, fill out paperwork wait for them to call it in. Hope that there's no delay, then MAYBE walk out with your toy if no delay. Might have to wait a few days to go back and get it.

See the difference?

That said, I support Constitutional Carry. But will keep my LTC for purchasing purposes and traveling to other states.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Walked into Academy at 3 pm today. Bought a Kimber 1911 and walked out with in 1 hour. If I actually timed it I’d guess 45 minutes.
                            That not really an inconvenience in my book.

Comment

Now what happens when you cross state lines without a LTC?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                Now what happens when you cross state lines without a LTC?
                                It’s the hoosegow for you if you are caught!! (Depending on state)

Comment

Working...
                                X