Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of y'all live near the new Bois d'Arc Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
    My wife's uncle lost his lease up there due to it. Pretty good one at that.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Not many "good" leases in Fannin unless you are on the Red River.

Comment

The scale of mitigation work resulting from this lake construction is nothing short of amazing. Thousands of acres of former ag fields are being converted to forested and emergent wetland, grassland, riparian corridors, and forested upland.

Comment

I think they bought the ole riverby ranch for mitigation. Heard it would be a WMA. I do not know that for sure. The ranch was like 8 to 10 thousand acres I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
          I think they bought the ole riverby ranch for mitigation. Heard it would be a WMA. I do not know that for sure. The ranch was like 8 to 10 thousand acres I believe.
          15,000 acres for 35 million

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
            15,000 acres for 35 million
            Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
              My understanding is the ranch will be under the care of NTMWD and their contractors at least until the maintenance and monitoring period for the mitigation work is up ~18 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                found the video. its pretty interesting if you have 30 minutes to kill. It gives a little insight on the people who lost land for the lake

https://vimeo.com/13195858
                Wow that video puts it into perspective... Very sad to see this destruction taking place..
                I've said it many times.. Nothing is more destructive to this planet than humans.. More is NeVER enough. We just keep taking.. And NO not all change is good..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  Wow that video puts it into perspective... Very sad to see this destruction taking place..
                  I've said it many times.. Nothing is more destructive to this planet than humans.. More is NeVER enough. We just keep taking.. And NO not all change is good..
                  especially when our county gets nothing out of it, water-wise.

Comment

Good afternoon TBH-

I have spent the last 5 plus years working directly on the design team for both of these dams as the CAD Designer. There is quite a bit of misinformation on this thread concerning both projects. If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to reach out or ask them here and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.

Just a few from what I've read so far:

1. Payment Compensation: The properties that were affected were paid for their loss, usually to the landowners benefit.

2. Flooding - this was a major reason Water Planning Studies were start in in 2005 for this area. 1900-1920, there was a major push to control flooding in this area. Hence the reason Bois D Arc Creek and North Sulfur River are straight with bad erosion and severe flash flooding. The straightened all flows which in turn is and was causing bad erosion issues downstream.

3. The job created from these projects and the ongoing $$$ invested into our communities with these dams is over 4.5 billion dollars in construction alone. This is good business for Fannin County - DFW - and the state. Investing in infrastructure today will help us offset future water shortages in the next century, as both of these structures are rated for 100 years.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                      Good afternoon TBH-

I have spent the last 5 plus years working directly on the design team for both of these dams as the CAD Designer. There is quite a bit of misinformation on this thread concerning both projects. If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to reach out or ask them here and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.

1. Payment Compensation: The properties that were affected were paid for their loss, usually to the landowners benefit.

2. Flooding - this was a major reason Water Planning Studies were start in in 2005 for this area. 1900-1920, there was a major push to control flooding in this area. Hence the reason Bois D Arc Creek and North Sulfur River are straight with bad erosion and severe flash flooding. The straightened all flows which in turn is and was causing bad erosion issues downstream.

3. The job created from these projects and the ongoing $$$ invested into our communities with these dams is over 4.5 billion dollars in construction alone. This is good business for Fannin County - DFW - and the state. Investing in infrastructure today will help us offset future water shortages in the next century, as both of these structures are rated for 100 years.

Mark
                      Good info. Thanks for posting

Comment

Good afternoon TBH-

Mark
                        Thanks for chiming in.

Comment

Truth is, you only "own" land until someone else has a better reason to "own" it.

Trust me, I'm a land baron. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            not the parcels UNDER the lake, they got jack-squat. Way to go NTMWD, the county gets NO water usage out of it. From the pipeline anyway.
                            This is not true. They are planning on drilling two water wells at Lake Ralph Hall that will be 6000ft deep and are estimated to flow at 350 gallons a minute. Once construction is finished, both wells will be left in place for county use and for the city of Ladonia and other towns in the area. After speaking with Water Planning earlier today, at that rate and with that regions usage, they should have access to fresh drinking water long after the lifespan of the dam. Each well will cost approx. 2.5 million to drill, so not chump change.

As far as those that owned any property within the limits of the lake easements, they were compensated generously. I have seen some of the payout totals and those were not $0 to those owners. Do you know of an owner first hand that did not get a payout?

If you have any other questions tdwinklr, I'd be glad to discuss.

Mark
                            Last edited by Parramore; 05-13-2021, 08:17 PM. Reason: Addition point

Comment

I forgot to mention the Leonard Terminal Storage facility and the 4 - 96" pipelines that will feed the water to the processing plant next door to the storage. This will provide immediate water solutions for McKinney and surrounding areas as well as feed the growth in DFW. I know several dozen welders and surveyors that were working oil and gas until they were let go over the past several years. Guess what they are doing now? These projects stabilized families while delivering needed water to the region. If you support oil and gas operations, especially pipeline, then I have trouble understanding opposition. Perhaps its the not in my back yard mentality.

Comment

I forgot to mention the Leonard Terminal Storage facility and the 4 - 96" pipelines that will feed the water to the processing plant next door to the storage. This will provide immediate water solutions for McKinney and surrounding areas as well as feed the growth in DFW. I know several dozen welders and surveyors that were working oil and gas until they were let go over the past several years. Guess what they are doing now? These projects stabilized families while delivering needed water to the region. If you support oil and gas operations, especially pipeline, then I have trouble understanding opposition. Perhaps its the not in my back yard mentality.
                                Had I stayed in the area, was given the opportunity to help with some final work on the pipeline. It was interesting seeing the progress of the lake up close.

Comment

Working...
                                X