Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    Same can be said for the stock market.
    The difference is that most understand the ups and downs of the stock market, but some have no idea that the real estate market has ever gone down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      *too.

Property in Centerville was averaging 5k an acre 3 years ago. It’s over 10k now.
      Ridiculous...
      Dang it! You got me there. Good catch!

Comment

I have a raw vacant 6.5 ac piece in Harper that i must get a phone call a week or a letter asking me to sell. I paid $7500 per and have been offered and refused 100k.
        This is on less than ten years my property value has doubled. Hill Country real estate is on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Just remember grasshopper that tax law changes had a big effect on those prices. When you could no longer deduct the interest expense real estate crashed. As long as people keep moving here real estate will be a great investment.
          My memory is too muddled to remember tax law changes 36 years ago. Again, I am not trying to discourage real estate investment.

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
          you also have to remember the financial crap and other stuff that was going on in the 80's
          You are correct, Billy. Our prime commercial lending rate hit 22% back in the 80's. Longterm mortgage rates were ~12% or so! I bought my first house (~2100 sq ft) in far north Dallas/Richardson for $31,500 in June, 1972; sold it when I moved to San Antonio 8 years later (June, 1980) for $90,000. I liked inflation at that point. That house is now appraised for tax purposes by DCAD at $340,000.

Comment

We bought in 2001 at 2000.00 and acre just outside of Weatherford, Tx, its now selling for 20,000 an acre.
            We just bought another another place in Oklahoma at 1400.00 and acre appraises for double already with a few simple improvements, Electric, roads, Etc with plans to buy several more properties that will be coming available in the near future with a new 30x50 barn going up as well as house.
            Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 04-20-2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Cut hay while the sun is shining

Comment

Heres an example. My friend is selling .4 of an acre south of San Antonio in a small town. She just got in contract with a guy paying her 60k! Her other piece of land is .6 and she just listed it for 50k and im sure itll go.

Has me considering selling my 1.8 acres for 80k after buying it for 55k last year.

Comment

Capital gains can bite you too

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
                    I think most people that buy land aren’t just looking to resell. We bought our ranch several years back and can’t even thank about selling it. Wife and I have even thought about how to protect if from being sold once the kids get control of it.
                    This is where I'm at. If my son sells the place after I'm dead and gone I will come back as a ghost and haunt his azz.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
                      I think most people that buy land aren’t just looking to resell. We bought our ranch several years back and can’t even thank about selling it. Wife and I have even thought about how to protect if from being sold once the kids get control of it.
                      I have bought and sold a good bit of land with intention of making money on gain in value, but until very recent never really thought of selling my home place. The older I get, the more work it turns into, but I do love it. I could probably retire 8-10 years earlier if I did sell and invest in index funds....

Comment

subdivisions and HOA's will be the end of hunting in some parts of Texas as the west coasters move in.

Comment

May be, but my place has gone up over 100k since 2018. It’s not going to go down.

Comment

The place we are currently buying doesn't have any development around. We are hoping it stays that way.

Comment

You might break even after capital gains, realtor fees, etc.

Originally posted by tonyguitarguy View Post
                              Heres an example. My friend is selling .4 of an acre south of San Antonio in a small town. She just got in contract with a guy paying her 60k! Her other piece of land is .6 and she just listed it for 50k and im sure itll go.

Has me considering selling my 1.8 acres for 80k after buying it for 55k last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                                I have bought and sold a good bit of land with intention of making money on gain in value, but until very recent never really thought of selling my home place. The older I get, the more work it turns into, but I do love it. I could probably retire 8-10 years earlier if I did sell and invest in index funds....
                                If you do the math a 500 index fund getting an average of > 13% return over 10 years will match or beat any of these inflated land values. Yea you can hunt on them but the management fee is nothing and your money is also readily available if you need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X