older tractor rebuild, 6V ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

older tractor rebuild, 6V ...

I'm working on a 1956 Ford 600 tractor that has the original 6V electrical system on it. My supplier has a 6V to 12V conversion kit, would that be a big advantage or just a slight one not worth doing? The wiring is shot on this thing so now would be the time to do a complete revamp.

thx

Yes, I would do the conversion. 6volt can be a pain.

Comment

Sounds like the time to do it!

Comment

I converted a 8n years ago and I thought it was worth it at the time. I sold the tractor not long after that but I didn't have anymore issues after converting.

Comment

Biggest advantage to 12 Volt over 6 is if you intend to add auxiliary stuff like lights. When you do it, make sure to check if yours is positive or negative ground. That is easy to change, but you gotta do it.
          There are ready made wiring harnesses for what you want to do for around 50 bucks.
          Pretty good resource to look through:
          The busiest antique tractor parts site on the internet with thousands of pages of information plus discount prices for parts and manuals. Photos, specs, articles, hundreds of classified ads, 24 forums, repair advice and much more. Serving the antique tractor community since 1995.

Comment

The 6 volt starter runs fine on 12 volt (I wouldn't crank for a long time but short cranks to start is fine) put a 12 volt alternator on it one wire is the simplest one to wire up ,switch the wires on the coil to the opposite sides. and put in a resistor on the coil wire and you're good to go ! ( this is for a positive ground 6 volt system gas engine )

Comment

Definitely worth converting to 12 volt, especially since you have to rewire.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                Biggest advantage to 12 Volt over 6 is if you intend to add auxiliary stuff like lights. When you do it, make sure to check if yours is positive or negative ground. That is easy to change, but you gotta do it.
                There are ready made wiring harnesses for what you want to do for around 50 bucks.
                Pretty good resource to look through:
                https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/
                yes, that's the same guys I will likely go through. They seem to have everything for it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                  yes, that's the same guys I will likely go through. They seem to have everything for it. Thanks!
                  Not sure if their kit comes with the ammeter or not, but if it doesn't you might want to consider getting one. Good peace of mind, and you will know for sure that your charging circuit is working well.

Comment

I converted a Farmall Cub from 6v to 12v.

Comment

Definitely convert to 12v

Comment

easy convert

Comment

evidently the tractor has been converted already so should be good on that.

I do need a couple of the sheet metal parts for it too, anyone on here who does that or know of a supplier? Yesterday's Tractors doesn't have these particular pieces.

thx

Comment

there is a few tractor junk yards around ,check Google and get on eBay and join a ford tractor forum. That's about all I got , what sheet metal parts are you looking for hood or fenders?

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                              there is a few tractor junk yards around ,check Google and get on eBay and join a ford tractor forum. That's about all I got , what sheet metal parts are you looking for hood or fenders?
                              2 parts on the hood ... the middle section covering the fuel tank and the piece under the steering wheel that holds all the gauges.
                              Yes, still sifting through a couple sites that carry parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X