No announcement yet.

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jumping in on it as well, will run it in the spring and fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Does anyone on here feed medicated protein? We medicate our herd twice a year spring/fall with LnE medicated. Kills all internal and external parasites and during the summer they don't get that drab heat spot look.
      Last year all our deer harvested except one didn't have a tick on them. We are low fence so that's not a surprise that we had one that possibly didn't eat our feed.
      Seems like it has made a huge difference on live weight, and obviously horn growth since the bucks are spending their energy growing horns and not feeding ticks....
      If you're feeding it have you noticed a difference in your herd?
      If you don't mind me asking, isn't that a little dangerous for human consumption?

Comment

Reading online about SafeGuard pellets, it looks like one 10 pound box of pellets would be more than enough to medicate a ton of feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
          I used to use the dewormer/medicated feed. I did not see a huge difference.
          One of the cons to it is the deer become accustomed to having this in there diet and it might compromise there immunity to natural disease. Deer have built up a natural immunity to various diseases and parasites and in the long run they may loose that ability if you continue to feed it to natural free ranging deer. I am not a biologist, just repeating what I have heard.
          This too^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            This too^^^^
            All these questions have been answered already if you read through the whole thread

Comment

All these questions have been answered already if you read through the whole thread
              I didn't see anything about human consumption on here. According to what research I have looked at, it isn't recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                I didn't see anything about human consumption on here. According to what research I have looked at, it isn't recommended.
                Well then you better not eat cattle either, it's very common to the same medication. its completely out of their system in 30 days and is safe for consumption after that.

Comment

I'm confused. It's a wormer.
                  How does it work on ticks?

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                    I'm confused. It's a wormer.
                    How does it work on ticks?
                    A wormer with added medication that also kills all internal and external parasites.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

The active ingredient is Fenbendazole. It can't do anything to ticks as far as I know. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can chime in. I think there are some vets on TBH.
                      I raise exotics and us the M-G zoo wormer every spring. Main ingredient on it is Fenbendazole as well. I recently bought 2 dybowski sika males and they came in a little thin looking (I wasn't there when they turned them loose) so we darted them and I had the vet check them for worms. It came back negative but they did have a lot of ticks on them so he gave them something for the ticks. I'll try to find out what that is.
                      I never had a worm test done on any of my other deer. The M-G wormer is only a few dollars more than my normal feed so I think it is money well spent.

Comment

A very interesting discussion you started.
                        I'm interested in how you do it on free range deer. I never thought about it on our lease but I am interested.
                        They recommend for the deer to eat so much per day per body weight for 3 days straight. With my exotics that is pretty easy to do. Not sure how easy that is on free range deer.
                        I'm also not sure how common worms are in free range deer.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                          A very interesting discussion you started.
                          I'm interested in how you do it on free range deer. I never thought about it on our lease but I am interested.
                          They recommend for the deer to eat so much per day per body weight for 3 days straight. With my exotics that is pretty easy to do. Not sure how easy that is on free range deer.
                          I'm also not sure how common worms are in free range deer.
                          The same way you would do it in any pasture. Obviously you will not medicate all your deer in a free range environment, as stated in my original post we did have a deer with ticks, only one.
                          In my opinion that was well enough for us to continue to feed and absorb the cost of medicated feed, that along with the other observations I've made in previous post.

I'll also add LnE mixes a special blend of feed for Mexico. I won't go into the exact active ingredients but obviously it's not regulated like anything sold in the U.S.

Comment

Well then you better not eat cattle either, it's very common to the same medication. its completely out of their system in 30 days and is safe for consumption after that.
                            Ok

Comment

The same way you would do it in any pasture. Obviously you will not medicate all your deer in a free range environment, as stated in my original post we did have a deer with ticks, only one.
                              In my opinion that was well enough for us to continue to feed and absorb the cost of medicated feed, that along with the other observations I've made in previous post.

I'll also add LnE mixes a special blend of feed for Mexico. I won't go into the exact active ingredients but obviously it's not regulated like anything sold in the U.S.
                              I know you said you wouldn’t go into exact active ingredients. But do you know how much better it is and what differences there are? Something that would kill the ticks that’s not in the US blend?

Comment

This. My biologist told me not to feed it past the end of August since I am MLD.

Comment

Working...
                                X