Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa
Default What Would You Have Done??

I had a similar incident happen to me at of all places at the McDonalds in Eastland. A guy high on something came out of Mc Donalds. I looked up and when we made eye contact he came around and started punching my window. I leaned back and drew down on him. He backed off and walked away. When my wife came out I told her I was probably going to jail for brandishing. I think the guy was too high to realize what had happened. We drove off and never heard anything other than some friends that were inside said the guy had been acting crazy inside McDonalds as well.

The guy in this video might not have been so lucky. What do you think ??

https://fb.watch/aI3y_rS3S-/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

If someone is actively trying to attack me or my family in my vehicle they better hope they are they are bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
I had a similar incident happen to me at of all places at the McDonalds in Eastland. A guy high on something came out of Mc Donalds. I looked up and when we made eye contact he came around and started punching my window. I leaned back and drew down on him. He backed off and walked away. When my wife came out I told her I was probably going to jail for brandishing. I think the guy was too high to realize what had happened. We drove off and never heard anything other than some friends that were inside said the guy had been acting crazy inside McDonalds as well.

He wasn’t too high to know what your gun was!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #4
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Drove off. As a CHL/TCP holder I consider it my supreme duty to remove myself from hostile situations…so I dont have to cap a fat irate hipster.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-22-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: DeleteSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I'm for sure gonna grab his arm and try to break something, then if he escalated the situation I would react accordingly.
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
SabineHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Drove off. As a CHL/TCP holder I consider it my supreme duty to remove myself from hostile situations…so I dont have to cap a fat irate hipster.
Arrowsmith wife was still in the store. He better not drive off and leave her.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:58 PM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
I’d me in more trouble for leaving my wife at McDonald’s with a crazy person

OP. I think you did fine. Glad you didn’t need to use it
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Sounds like you handled the situation as best as you possibly could have. No shots fired and you and your wife are safe.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #9
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

I’m gonna be on the news. Texans are packing for this very reason. Judges and Lawyers keep letting them out until an innocent citizen dies way to often. But I will clarify that you DID the right thing by brandishing. If he breaks the glass all deals are off.

Last edited by Gumbo Man; 01-22-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Sounds like you handled the situation as best as you possibly could have. No shots fired and you and your wife are safe.
This
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
X2
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #12
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

We had a District Judge stopped at stop light at night. a car pulled up next to him, got out and poured gas on his cars windshield. the Judge ran the light and the suspect caught up to him at the next light and the same thing happen. it happened 3 lights 2 days later the judge reported it to the police and later found out it was a defendant in his court. If i remember correct he did not wished to press charges and I am not sure what the outcome of his case was.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #13
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

That's true !!!

My incident happened several years ago. We were headed to an archery tournament at Cross Timbers Archery Club at Eastland. We started to stop at the McDonalds at Eastchase and I-30. It was crowded and I told my wife I really don't prefer the clientele there or the service. It's always packed early in the morning and the service is slow. I said...Let's just stop at Eastland....so go figure.

That shows bad things can happen anywhere. When we got to the tournament site I told some people what had happened. There were some friends in there that said the guy sat down at a booth across from a young Hispanic man that was eating breakfast with his daughter. The guy pulled the straw out of the daughter's drink and threw it in the father's face and started yelling racist obscenities. The young father and daughter were terrified. It occurred in that area of the McDonald's back by the restrooms. My wife heard shouting, but she did not know what was going on. The guy then came outside and approached my truck. The guys at the shoot said they saw him pounding on my window, but did not realize it was me (my truck).

The guy in video from Oklahoma has a long rap sheet. It shows up in the comments.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #14
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

A few years ago and elderly man was walking into the Eastland W-Mart and was stabbed to death by one of these scum. You did the right thing!
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #15
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Mike - I rolled 28 miles on a mountain bike - sun was going down - Boerne Texas N Main Street - VP Racing fuel station/store - watched a Mexican National - driving a 100k tricked out Toyota 4x4 with the bling and decals / he was running people off - sun was down low - 30 minutes from closing time........

I rolled up and stopped - watching the store - wanting water before they closed.......video'ed his scene - trucking running with lights on screaming and running folks away - SUPER SPREADER - was his rant.

Rode up - he engaged - I went head on with him - helmet/gloves and pumped up from a ride with a crazy scene - he was unarmed and charged me - broke off - I would of gone to jail...........

Jumped into his truck - after ranting about me and riding a bike - he rolled N.

Next day - I rolled my route in a car - he was looking for me and my pattern - Got behind him and he rolled to a Harley hangout - bar/food nearby - rolled in - he had dudes watching - I filmed and turned around.

Haven't scene his rant after -

Network with the BOYS - and let them know who your are.

Mike - I met you personally - not like it is now - you are prime to help them - ENFORCE!

I've had to deal with some strange and not normal scenes RECENTLY - It's only 90 miles away from me - everywhere and LE is rolling HOT!

We have to help them remove TRASH!

I have video - it wasn't cool and the video was filmed - for legal cover - JUST IN CASE.

Living in WILD WILD WEST times AMIGO!

Fond memories from our early years shooting together and living the core bowhunter life - nothing else!

AMEN!
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

So I just started blasting.....
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

I agree on both counts.

My bad…I thought Arrowsmith was referring the OP title question more to the video than his McDonalds incident.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #18
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by traildust View Post
so i just started blasting.....
word !
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 04:10 PM   #19
Death from Above
Pope & Young

If I am in the red car... the guy in the video is dead
Death from Above is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 04:33 PM   #20
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

Something like this happened to my wife's coworker. Stopped at a red light in Gunspoint and a guy comes up and starts banging on her passenger side window and yelling inappropriate things. She's behind other cars so she can't move. My wife is behind her and sees what is happening. Wife grabs her pistol out of her purse. Luckily the light turned green and they took off. Friend was loaded and ready to start blasting if he broke the glass.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 04:49 PM   #21
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post

I’m not sure if this helps with your scenario but…..

There was actually a law in Texas about displaying a deadly weapon to stop from having to use deadly force. It is there I believe for people who mistakenly say, if you pulled a weapon you had better use it. That is not true.

Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE.

The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.

As you can see part of the law on self-defense specifically states, “as long as the actor’s (you) purpose is limited to creating the apprehension…”.

I think this law clearly means to let the other person legally know, if necessary, I will use deadly force.

Chapter 9 in the penal code on self-defense also has this…

Sec. 9.02. JUSTIFICATION AS A DEFENSE.

It is a defense to prosecution that the conduct in question is justified under this chapter.

In a “defense to prosecution”, if evidence at trial of self defense is submitted to a jury, the burden is on the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you had no reasonable belief of self-defense. This is part how “defense to prosecution” is defined in the penal code.

(d) If the issue of the existence of a defense is submitted to the jury, the court shall charge that a reasonable doubt on the issue requires that the defendant be acquitted.

It depends entirely on the district attorney but if this case came up for review and the taking of charges, the district attorney would not only have to look at the legality of you displaying a deadly weapon (which I think is likely reasonable in that situation) but also whether he thinks he can convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you had no reasonable fear that situation. In my county I don’t think the district attorney would ever file charges if your situation happened like you described.

In my opinion …….

tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 08:11 PM   #22
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Legendary

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 11:02 PM   #23
gatorgrizz27
Ten Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

I don’t think you did anything wrong. Only additional thing I’ve heard in these cases is to call the local PD and file a statement. Generally, the first person to do so has the “advantage” if there is an investigation.

I’m not a fan of unnecessary interaction with LEO or paperwork, but if the bum called the cops and said “I walked up to ask this guy if he knew where 7th Avenue was and he put his gun in my face, his tag number was XJJ654” it might not be a great situation.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 11:19 PM   #24
Solo7
Four Point

I'm afraid these situations are going to get worse.
Solo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 PM   #25
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 PM   #26
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
I don’t think you did anything wrong. Only additional thing I’ve heard in these cases is to call the local PD and file a statement. Generally, the first person to do so has the “advantage” if there is an investigation.

I’m not a fan of unnecessary interaction with LEO or paperwork, but if the bum called the cops and said “I walked up to ask this guy if he knew where 7th Avenue was and he put his gun in my face, his tag number was XJJ654” it might not be a great situation.
Other officers may have a different opinion but……

On several cases that I have worked, including murder, I ended up arresting the person that made the call. They will often even bring up, hey but I’m the one that called the police.

The first suspect is the person that called 911. It is like there is some unwritten rule, if I place the call then I’m on home plate and safe.

Uhhhhh…… no……

Besides that, I have never heard of filing a statement. My agency which generally did not make reports for somebody that was not a victim.

If that is not enough, such a statement will put you at the scene by your own admission. I would not volunteer such information unless it benefited me and I’m not sure how admitting to being part of the incident would be a benefit.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

It's not "tag your it"

And I'm sorry you feel that way

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 07:47 AM   #28
gatorgrizz27
Ten Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post

On several cases that I have worked, including murder, I ended up arresting the person that made the call. They will often even bring up, hey but I’m the one that called the police.

The first suspect is the person that called 911. It is like there is some unwritten rule, if I place the call then I’m on home plate and safe.

Uhhhhh…… no……

Besides that, I have never heard of filing a statement. My agency which generally did not make reports for somebody that was not a victim.

If that is not enough, such a statement will put you at the scene by your own admission. I would not volunteer such information unless it benefited me and I’m not sure how admitting to being part of the incident would be a benefit.
Good to know, thanks.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #29
eastover53
Six Point

Hunt In: Kansas Mississippi Louisiana

Quote:

The first suspect is the person that called 911.

This is good to know.

I’ll be darn sure to remember that if I come across an accident or something suspicious.
eastover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #30
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

When you go to McDonalds, you should expect to run into strange, messed up individuals. I don't go to McDonalds, unless there is nothing else around. There are a few areas, I go, where that is about the only place to eat. I have to really think about, do I want to walk in that place and deal with whatever is in there or wait till I am in some other area, and get lunch.

Wal-Mart and McDonalds are two places where you can count on seeing some strange stuff walking or rolling or crawling around. Then McDonalds, usually has a higher percentage of highly odd, strange, messed up individuals than Wal-Mart.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #31
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
When you go to McDonalds, you should expect to run into strange, messed up individuals. I don't go to McDonalds, unless there is nothing else around. There are a few areas, I go, where that is about the only place to eat. I have to really think about, do I want to walk in that place and deal with whatever is in there or wait till I am in some other area, and get lunch.

Wal-Mart and McDonalds are two places where you can count on seeing some strange stuff walking or rolling or crawling around. Then McDonalds, usually has a higher percentage of highly odd, strange, messed up individuals than Wal-Mart.
We used to stop for breakfast on the way to archery tournaments when we lived in Texas. We haven't been in one since 2017 or I should say my wife hasn't. She always went in and I stayed in the truck.

Here in Iowa there is one McDonalds 25 miles to the south in Kirksville, Missouri and one 25 miles to the north in Ottumwa, Iowa. We never been to either one. Nowadays we eat out maybe once or twice a year and never fast food. If we have guests we will treat them to an Iowa tenderloin at Southfork restaurant in Bloomfield.

One of the reasons we moved to rural Iowa was to get away from the the madness and by God it has worked. We saw the mail lady, one tractor, and one truck yesterday. No one has passed by today.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #32
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastover53 View Post
This is good to know.

I’ll be darn sure to remember that if I come across an accident or something suspicious.
I don’t know if you intended to be facetious but…

I said nothing about nor suggested not being a witness. I was responding to calling the police and telling them that “you” had just pulled a gun on somebody to “get your story in first”.

The OP told his wife that he was probably going to jail. To that it was suggested, call the police and let them know who you are.

There is a huge difference between that and calling 911 and saying I just saw a robbery and giving a description.

If you want to call the police and tell them you think you might be in trouble for committing a crime but you’re not sure of the law, feel free to do so. I’m sure they will appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #33
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
I don’t know if you intended to be facetious but…

I said nothing about nor suggested not being a witness. I was responding to calling the police and telling them that “you” had just pulled a gun on somebody to “get your story in first”.

The OP told his wife that he was probably going to jail. To that it was suggested, call the police and let them know who you are.

There is a huge difference between that and calling 911 and saying I just saw a robbery and giving a description.

If you want to call the police and tell them you think you might be in trouble for committing a crime but you’re not sure of the law, feel free to do so. I’m sure they will appreciate it.
Your insight and opinions are appreciated. You have way more experience and knowledge of the law than most of us here.

I used my own experience as reference to the video from Claremore, Oklahoma that I included at the bottom of my post. That was actually what my question "What would you have done"? concerned.

From the replies think a lot of people that replied to my post did not watch the video. This was a pretty violent attack/action that this guy perpetrated. I think some people would have taken this as a life threatening attack and would have responded accordingly.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:12 PM   #34
Lynn21
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

No jail for you- your property and yourself were being attacked- you have the right to protect yourself and your property.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #35
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I had a similar situation a few years back. Was running errands and offered to take my young son for shaved ice after we finished. On the way we stopped at a stop light and as I normally do, I checked my surroundings, and make eye contact with the car next to me with a pair of guys. They apparently took it as a sign of aggression and when the light turned green, they did a lane change in the middle of the intersection and followed me a 1/2 block to the shaved ice stand. They proceeded to get out of the car and bang on my window demanding I get out. The driver was clearly under the influence. I drew my weapon, I didn’t phase him, but the passenger got the message loud and clear. He finally convinced his buddy that maybe banging on my window wasn’t in their best interest and they moved on.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #36
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

I do not go to McDonalds but you did why you had to do.. Handled the situation.. Asking what others would have done is not really needed.. 40 people will give 40 different answers..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #37
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I do not go to McDonalds but you did why you had to do.. Handled the situation.. Asking what others would have done is not really needed.. 40 people will give 40 different answers..
It has been 5 years since we have been in a McDonalds. We don't eat out anymore and definitely no fast food.

I was actually asking about the video I linked from Claremore, Oklahoma where the guy punched out the window of the lady's car.

I was just referencing my experience because it was somewhat similar. I would probably do what I did again. You never know. Too may variables and sometimes a person just reacts.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #38
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

I dont know what I would have done, but I do know those tenderloin sandwiches are pretty awesome. Cant wait to have another one!!
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #39
jrfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan co.

I was driving on I30 in rockwall last year. I was in the left lane getting ready to pass a white car in the right lane. A gold Dodge Ram comes flying up behind the white car and attempts to squeeze in between me and the white car. He runs out of room and slides over directly behind me almost hitting my truck. I look in my mirror and this guy is yelling a shooting me the finger. I pass the white car and immediately get over in the right lane to let him pass. He pulls up beside me and holds up a Glock with an extended clip(I bet it held 50 rounds) I got behind him and called the police. They had me stay behind him until we got to royse city where they pulled him over. They had me go up to the next exit and get off the highway to meet one of the other officers who had me fill out a statement. He then told me
He couldn’t do anything about him showing me the gun. He said he would be arrested for being a gang member felon in possession of a firearm. He said there was no law against actually showing me the gun. About three months ago the DA called me wanting me to testify that I seen the gun. I said the police told me there was no law against him showing it to me. The DA said that’s correct we are getting him for felon in possession of a firearm. I said well you don’t need me for that you have his gun. I always though it was illegal to show a gun to somebody in anger but I guess it’s not.
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #40
Nash Thornton
Spike

Probably the best way to handle that, roll down the window and no clue what the crazy mfs are capable of.
Nash Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #41
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash Thornton View Post
Probably the best way to handle that, roll down the window and no clue what the crazy mfs are capable of.
So remove the only barrier between you and an aggressor? That sounds like a fantastic approach!
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #42
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfan View Post
I was driving on I30 in rockwall last year. I was in the left lane getting ready to pass a white car in the right lane. A gold Dodge Ram comes flying up behind the white car and attempts to squeeze in between me and the white car. He runs out of room and slides over directly behind me almost hitting my truck. I look in my mirror and this guy is yelling a shooting me the finger. I pass the white car and immediately get over in the right lane to let him pass. He pulls up beside me and holds up a Glock with an extended clip(I bet it held 50 rounds) I got behind him and called the police. They had me stay behind him until we got to royse city where they pulled him over. They had me go up to the next exit and get off the highway to meet one of the other officers who had me fill out a statement. He then told me
He couldn’t do anything about him showing me the gun. He said he would be arrested for being a gang member felon in possession of a firearm. He said there was no law against actually showing me the gun. About three months ago the DA called me wanting me to testify that I seen the gun. I said the police told me there was no law against him showing it to me. The DA said that’s correct we are getting him for felon in possession of a firearm. I said well you don’t need me for that you have his gun. I always though it was illegal to show a gun to somebody in anger but I guess it’s not.
I think brandishing a firearm is illegal unless under the same conditions it would be legal to use said firearm to defend yourself or someone else. It’s been awhile but that’s what I remember.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #43
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I think brandishing a firearm is illegal unless under the same conditions it would be legal to use said firearm to defend yourself or someone else. It’s been awhile but that’s what I remember.
See post #21.