Vortex Awarded Huge U.S. Army Optics Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex Awarded Huge U.S. Army Optics Contract

When I visited the Vortex headquarters last October I was amazed at their in house machine shop. It's is about 50-60 thousand sq ft of CNC machines, precision measuring machines, laser etching machines, clean rooms etc. A large section was walled off from the rest of the facility. Our tour guide told us that in that area they were working on prototype optics for the military and we would not be able to tour that area.

Last Friday Vortex was awarded the contract for the Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) Fire Control optics.

Vortex beat out L3Harris Technologies.

This scope is engineered to go on the Next Generation Squad Weapons that will be chambered in 6.8mm.

Vortex officials maintain the prototype's “1km-capable laser rangefinder, state of the art on-board ballistic engine, atmospheric sensor suite, and programmable active matrix micro-display … delivers a true multi-mission fire control enabling everything from close-quarter battle, to designated marksmanship at the extents of the NGSW's effective range."

“For the soldier in the field, that means the freedom to devote their entire focus downrange,” Sam Hamilton, chief technical officer at Vortex Optics, said in the release. “End-users will no longer need to leave their field of view to consult separate rangefinders or ballistic calculators, slowing them down and compromising their situational awareness.”

Not bad for a company that started up in Dan Hamilton's garage (Vortex owner) as a Wild Birds Unlimited store.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pretty bright feather in the Vortex cap I’d say !

Comment

Sam Hamilton is spot on with his statement. That’s bad ***!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope they cross train with back up iron sights. Many felt the Acog made a trigger puller dependent on the technology not withstanding the obvious increased lethality of the optic. This system is a major force multiplier but what if an EMP is detonated or similar electronic interference weapon technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Darn! Congratulations to them.

Comment

they catch a lot of flack, more than likely over their cheaper lines of products, but I've been really pleased with the Razor, and ever Viper lines.

Comment

Everything I looked at through my Diamondback is in the freezer/digested. Thankful for the great affordable optics,congrats to them.

Comment

Working...
                X