Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-11-2022, 10:42 PM   #1
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.
Default Jury Duty - If you have a way out, do you take it?

I am just curious, I have not been summoned for JD. If you have a way out of jury duty, would you take it when you otherwise could be there but you just don't want to go? If you salary is covered at work, you have childcare, everything is taken care of...would you still use an exemption to get out?

Personally I want to go. If I could make it work, I would want to go.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #2
Dukota01
Four Point

No I would not take the way out even though I do have legitimate health issues I am currently serving on a jury starting Tuesday that will last up to 3 weeks. I think serving on a jury is really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dukota01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #3
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northern Duval Co.

Go ahead and go. In my past experiences, during the vetting process, my conservative values have kept me from getting selected and I get dismissed.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 10:49 PM   #4
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

You should not skirt your duty to serve as a juror. If you have legitimate reasons, fine. But what if you were on the other side? Wouldn’t you want a jury of your peers?
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
You should not skirt your duty to serve as a juror. If you have legitimate reasons, fine. But what if you were on the other side? Wouldnít you want a jury of your peers?
Good point and heck yeah I want a jury of my peers, but as mentioned previously, my peers may all get dismissed hahaha.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:58 PM   #6
dropTopTx
Four Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

With no direct cost to you, and kids/other covered, you should absolutely do it because once you do you will realize its not a jury of your peers, and if you ever found yourself in the defendant chair you would really want folks like most of you on your jury.

I was on a murder trial in the mid 90s. The trial itself was fascinating, the guy was guilty as hell of a horrific murder (stabbed a guy 17 times with butcher knife, broke the handle off in process, and lit him on fire while he was still alive).

But the jury was made up of all kinds of folks, several of which did not care what the outcome was, they just wanted out to get back to their lives, mostly because it was costing hourly workers or self employed folks money they did not have. I was fortunate that my company was paying my time so that was not an issue. I would like to think I would have still be driven to do the right thing even if that wasnt the case but I could feel for those losing money being there.

Because it was pretty much an open and shut case it started with jury selection on Monday, trial on Tue, sentencing was on Friday. The process was really interesting start to finish. The guy got 65 years I think.
dropTopTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 11:00 PM   #7
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Do it in a minute..
I've only been called, once in my life.
Even then, I got rejected cause I was a full time student.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 11:20 PM   #8
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

I would go. Ive been called once then they released us all after an hour or so of sitting around.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 11:21 PM   #9
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Iíve never been summoned.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

I doubt I would get selected due to my political stance and career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 11:42 PM   #10
ctom87
Ten Point

What career would that be that they would pump the brakes?
Old 01-12-2022, 12:21 AM   #11
BigCohiba
Eight Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

I go every time - and I’ve been summoned a handful of times. Only served once on a burglary case. Very interesting process and I view it as the duty of a citizen who is able to do it.
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 01:46 AM   #12
tvc184
Pope & Young

I have been summoned maybe six or seven times. I have served on a federal jury trial for a lawsuit, a state trial for a misdemeanor assault and a state trial for felony possession of drugs.

And yes I would go again….
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 02:10 AM   #13
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Go ahead and go. In my past experiences, during the vetting process, my conservative values have kept me from getting selected and I get dismissed.
Same here, got called a couple years ago. It was really interesting, the FBI had caught this guy out in Seguin with a bunch of kiddie **** on his laptop. During the vetting process I didnít hold back when I was asked what I thought of the guy. Noticed the defense attorney put a big X on my name after that lol.
Raider Power is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 04:29 AM   #14
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukota01 View Post
No I would not take the way out even though I do have legitimate health issues I am currently serving on a jury starting Tuesday that will last up to 3 weeks. I think serving on a jury is really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
not to derail but curious as to how they are handling the Rona social distancing issue?
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 04:37 AM   #15
CabezaBlanca
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado County

I’ve been summoned at least a dozen times. Never picked.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 05:19 AM   #16
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

We say a jury is complied of 12 people not smart enough to get out of it. I sit on the other side a few times a year. This year will be once a month I'm sure due to the pile of subpoenas I have.

It's not uncommon to see jurors half asleep, counting the ceiling tiles or braiding their hair while in the box

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 05:32 AM   #17
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

A good American would not try and get out of it
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:20 AM   #18
SJP51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan, San Augustine

I glady serve.
SJP51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:23 AM   #19
SL1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I was in a summoned and they used zoom for the initial group and jury selection. Those selected would go in to the court when the case was tried. Ive been on 2 or 3 jurys. All were interesting cases.
Zoom worked really well in my opinion. Fill out a form on line, and if you get a notice you log in, then listen. You can cover your camera unless you get called to question.
SL1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #20
Box-R
Four Point

I've been called up several times.
1) told the boss, drove to the jury parking lot and was greeted by deputy who said my number was not needed and I could leave. I would think they should know that way in advance so as not to waste MY time.
2) Made it to the final round of a trial (girl suing parents, dad running for county office) and we waited around ALL DAY, then at the end, the court steward came out and told us that a 'mistrial' was declared and we were all dismissed. Turns out that was the THIRD time the exact same scenario had played out. Again, a huge waste of people's time.
I did not earn any $$ that day.

The jury system is good, but there are too many sleazy lawyers.
Box-R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:42 AM   #21
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
Iíve never been summoned.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

I doubt I would get selected due to my political stance and career.

Don't let that fool you Steph.
I'm a conservative safety man in the trucking business. I've been selected on 4 juries, and one of those was a vehicle accident between a car and truck.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #22
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

I go and answer all questions. Never been picked.
Mertzon Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #23
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

I served once, 5 days on a drug dealer, guy was making crack and selling it. 80 years, his third or fourth offense.

During that selection process one guy interrupted the process and said he wanted to make a statement. He stood up and said that we should just kill him, he’s a drug dealer, why waste time, take him out now and kill him…needless to say he was not selected.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:56 AM   #24
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fruitvale, TX

I have zero respect for anyone that would actively try to get out of their civic duty. I have only been chosen once. It was a murder trial but after sitting in the jury room an entire day we were dismissed because they could not get one of the key witnesses out of the federal pen in a timely manner and the trial was postponed for 6 months.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #25
Bill M
Pope & Young

I have served on a jury for both criminal and civil cases in Houston years ago. Criminal was found guilty and given max sentence, civil plaintiff was not awarded anything.

I have been called several times since but never been selected. Go do it. We have a duty and can't complain about crime if we aren't willing to participate in the system. It isn't a perfect system but I would say it's the best there is.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:11 AM   #26
Trapper76
Eight Point

To serve on an jury is everyone’s duty and a privilege, that people do not have in places like communist china.
Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:15 AM   #27
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

No, I don’t have a legitimate reason to be excused. With the discount coupons (plea deals) they hand out like candy, probably don't even get to the trial anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 01-12-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:18 AM   #28
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Broke parent kids baseball club

No, I go every time. Too many ****ty ppl donít show up and those are the ones that you would never want deciding your case. Iíll show up and normally get sent but but I did it. I was a foreman on a week long trial in Dallas. Actually pretty interesting.

Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:19 AM   #29
FVR JR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

I wouldn't skirt it, but I don't shed a tear when I don't get picked. Jury of my peers is a bit disingenuous. Jury of whoever the lawyers could pick that best helped their case is more like it.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:25 AM   #30
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Been summoned a few times, selected once. First case was two Mexicans stabbing each other. Come trial time they couldn’t be found. Imagine that !

Second case was Father accused ex of having sex with her 17 year old stepson. She had a lawyer that ran rings around our hick DA and a mistrial was declared. I was glad because the little bastage was sitting over there smirking most of the time and I guarantee he was no child. He knew exactly what he did and was probably bragging to his buddies about it.

So, actually everyone’s time was wasted except the accused and the accuser, but I don’t regret serving and have always just let the chips fall when summoned.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:27 AM   #31
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: currently looking

Go if possible
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #32
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Been summoned once and got picked. We convicted a pedophile in about 5 minutes. The judge gave him 60 years without the possibility of parole. I actually enjoyed it, and would’ve given that SOB the death penalty if it had been up to me.
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 08:02 AM   #33
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Summoned and went in a handful of times. Served on two trials, one for 4 days and the other for 9. If it wasn't for the hassle of driving into downtown Houston I don't mind. People watching and listening to the ridiculous questions and answers is the best part.
Grndchecker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #34
dirtybay
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I’m going the end of this month. I work a very busy job but I want to serve. Last time I got summoned, it was settled and dismissed on selection day. Pretty wild listening to lawyers go back and forth right in front of everyone.
dirtybay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 08:16 AM   #35
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Did it once before I was married and had special needs son. I’m his primary care giver so no, I will never go to downtown Houston again for jury duty.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #36
easeup
Ten Point

a jury trial is one of the blessings of a free country. When one thinks about he could have been born somewhere else on the planet where jury trial by peers is not the case, the fear of being wrongly arrested by the gustoppo and imprisoned is real.

In an age where people in our great country little by little give away their freedoms for the sake of feeling safer about things, the complacency of attitude grows until men will give away their rights to an impartial trial or even their guns and right for personal protection.
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #37
dhall1414
Six Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

The last time my dad was summoned it was something like challenging a traffic citation, or something to do with driving. He got called in to interview and they asked him if he had any immediate conflicts with the case. Well it turned out of the two cops that were being challenged, one had his daughter taking volleyball lessons from him and the other cop my dad had known from the dinosaur days. Needles to say, the defense immediately sent him home. On the way out he waived at the cops and said "see you tomorrow" hahaha.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #38
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX,Thurber & The "H" Some Years

Absolutely I would go do my duty if at all possible. I have gone several times even federal but never selected. My wife on the other hand has been on a few. She is a school teacher and I think they like having them on the jury.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #39
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I’m on the opposite of most folks here, if I can get out of it (legitimately) I’m not going. I have other responsibilities that don’t go away if I’m missing work, therefore it puts a huge extra burden on me. Maybe one day I’ll be the one needing a jury, but I still wouldn’t blame folks for getting out.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #40
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I’ve been picked several times and am happy to serve but my brother ran a small business that he couldn’t even take a day away from.
When they asked about prejudging guilt he would say… “ you wouldn’t have indicted him if he weren’t guilty” always got him out.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #41
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

I'm about to be 40, never been..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #42
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

It is our civic duty to serve when called.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #43
Mudcatz
Six Point

I would serve on it because if I found myself in the situation where I was relying on honest level thinking peers that they would show up.
Mudcatz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #44
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller County, Rocksprings and "H"

I just got my summons for Montgomery County for Jan. 31st. I go every time I've been called. Been picked only once and the defendant never showed.
kurt68 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #45
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
You should not skirt your duty to serve as a juror. If you have legitimate reasons, fine. But what if you were on the other side? Wouldnít you want a jury of your peers?
X2 I happen to enjoy it
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #46
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow will travel

I was sent notice to be chosen for a jury a few years ago, the guy on trial had an interpreter. I asked the judge/court if the guy on trial was an illegal, the judge said it shouldn't matter.....I said it does matter to me. He asked why, I told him that if he is here illegally he needs to be deported back to Mexico and dropped out of a plane at a high rate of speed (it was a rape case). The judge then asked the rest of the people that were there if it mattered to them, all but about 2-3 people raised their hands.....he had to clear the panel and get the next batch of people in there.
That being said, I think you should be on a jury if you qualify, but I also don't believe in wasting tax-payer dollars.
Illegals------deport at a high rate of speed
Video proof you did it-----why even waste the time, go to jail.
Temporary insanity cases------really?
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 11:10 AM   #47
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I actually enjoyed the times I got picked to be on a jury . They were short trials but very eye opening .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #48
Aggiehuntress
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I get called yearly for the local, have yet to sit on a a jury though. Got a summons for Federal for this week actually but I got out of it for the simple reason that you had to be available close to 2 hours away for 5 days. I am a single Mom with no family close by. I have to drop the kid at school by 7:30 and pick her up at 5:30. Cant drop her off and still make the 2 hour drive and get there by 8am... If it was local I would have done it in a heart beat
Aggiehuntress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #49
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I was foreman on a federal case once on a gun related question. It was good that I was there to make sure a drug dealer got his minimum mandatory extra five years!
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #50
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Personally, I think the whole process it interesting. Iíve been picked 4 times for juryís. 3 criminal, one civil. Iíd do it again.

Now, sittin in the court house all day and not gettin picked really sux.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top