Rocky Mountain trip plan for 2022 tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky Mountain trip plan for 2022 tips

After seeing many pictures of elk and the park I am wanting to experience this myself. I was thinking of going during September or whenever the rut be happening. Any tips and tricks or pointers would be appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to join maybe we can get a condo in Estes park for a couple days.

Gear I plan on taking
    Canon R6
    70-200 .28
    300mm 2.8
    24-105 f4

Will more than likely drive

I think you would want more than 300 even if you rent a lens. If you don't have a longer lens I would consider getting a 1.4 extender. I used my 200 - 400 with a 1.4 extender which put me at 560 most of the time I was there. You should also take a tripod. You could do without but just some suggestions from the trips I have taken there. Love the place and there are a lot of opportunities.
    later part of September would be perfect time to enjoy the rut

Comment

Agree with the longer lens even if renting one. Some places, 600mm isn't enough and I would think the Rockies would be one such place. If you have a 1.4x you have 840mm.

Comment

I do have a 2x extender I will be taking as well.

Comment

I just looked at the EXIF data from my last trip and my pictures were anywhere from 150 to 600 on full frame with most being on the long end. I also had to use my APS-C at 600 for some of the shots. For the most part I think you'll be ok if your 2X gives satisfactory results. I'm assuming you have a good tripod.

The end of September/early October is the best time to go. Most of the elk action is going to be on the east side of the park and in the town itself. The Moraine Park valley and Sheep lakes area are going to be your best bet in the park. You can walk out into the meadows to get better pictures but I would suggest a pair of knee high waterproof boots. The park rangers won't hassle you as long as you keep your distance and are using a viable setup.

If you're into hiking, the trail to Sky Pond via Alberta Falls is one of the most beautiful hikes I've been on.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
            I just looked at the EXIF data from my last trip and my pictures were anywhere from 150 to 600 on full frame with most being on the long end. I also had to use my APS-C at 600 for some of the shots. For the most part I think you'll be ok if your 2X gives satisfactory results. I'm assuming you have a good tripod.

The end of September/early October is the best time to go. Most of the elk action is going to be on the east side of the park and in the town itself. The Moraine Park valley and Sheep lakes area are going to be your best bet in the park. You can walk out into the meadows to get better pictures but I would suggest a pair of knee high waterproof boots. The park rangers won't hassle you as long as you keep your distance and are using a viable setup.

If you're into hiking, the trail to Sky Pond via Alberta Falls is one of the most beautiful hikes I've been on.
            A good tripod and back pack will be here in a couple weeks. That’s for the pointers

Comment

Be sure to look up the rules on the valleys. They started keeping people out of the meadows during the elk rut specifically from what I've heard. A good tripod and maybe a monopod would be handy. And an L bracket to easily swap to vertical shots if you happen to be in there pretty close to them.

Comment

Don't be afraid to push your ISO up to keep your shutter speed as high as possible wide open. With mirrorless systems, I guess there would be no mirror slap. How is that R6 image stabilization?

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                  Don't be afraid to push your ISO up to keep your shutter speed as high as possible wide open. With mirrorless systems, I guess there would be no mirror slap. How is that R6 image stabilization?
                  So far the image stabilization is great.

Comment

Tripod is a must with a big lens. I'd rent a 600mm. I believe you can still get out in the meadow but it's only for a few hours in the mid day. RMNP is using a timed entry permit system but, if you get in the park by 5am (I believe) you don't have to have a pass. Look up the rules at recreation.gov.

Don't be scared of high ISO's to get the SS you need, the R6 does great at higher ISO's.

Comment

Working...
                    X