Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
skinsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County
Default Bad Shot on buck, feeling like crud!

Made a bad shot in an old deer that I have been hunting hard for 13 days. 156 yards with 300WM and deer hit the dirt like a sack of potatoes. Made a few calls, sent a few text, cleaned up blind, went and got truck and as I pulled up to feeder probably 15 minutes after shot deer stands up and runs off. Not a drop of blood, gave it an hour and brought a dog in, nothing. Saw the deer when it went to run off and it looked to have a hole high (real high) and just a tad back. I feel horrible, deer was not a giant but he was old, unique, and I had hunted him hard. I practice all year for this opportunity and I blew it. I love to hunt but man days like this are hard. I feel for the deer, he didnít deserve to suffer. Hopefully he comes back.
skinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

He’s probably not hurt bad, just a shot close to his spine. I’m sure he’ll recover but he may not like that place anymore.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Chad C
Pope & Young

Curious what bullet youíre using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
skinsfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Curious what bullet youíre using.

Federal 180gr SP
Old 12-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Yep, been there. No fun at all. Probably happened like Dry Creek said. Best cure is to get back out there.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
RedBear78
Eight Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

I had similar thing happen a few years ago but I got another shot off and hit him in hind quarter.Dogs ran him several miles and then disappeared.The ranch didn’t see him again that year and figured him dead.Another guy shot him the next year with healed wounds of upper and rear shoulder shot pass through also shot through both hind quarters just through muscle.Crazy thing he went from being 165 inch deer to a upper 175 inch deer.I was absolutely sick when I lost that deer I feel your pain but hopefully something good may come from it.Stay with it!
RedBear78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

Grandpa hit one like that. Dropped him for about 10 minutes then he ran off. Showed up after two weeks and was still alive a few seasons later when we lost the lease.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
docmay
Pope & Young

I know I sound like a broken record but if you hunt enough it will happen! It can happen with any weapon. The fact that you feel sick means you hunt for the right reason and care about the animal. You did what you could to recover him. Hold your head up and donít quit!!!!
docmay is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #9
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

Maybe you should switch to a bow.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, Kennedy County

I’ve been there. Think most of us have. It’s a huge hit to your confidence. Start doubting your rifle, your bullet, scope and any other problem that may have occurred over and over in your mind. Truth is it’s going to happen. Put a few rounds back on paper get your confidence back up and get back out there. I would still be checking for buzzards tomorrow and maybe a few near by water holes.
Muddy Bud is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Heís probably not hurt bad, just a shot close to his spine. Iím sure heíll recover but he may not like that place anymore.
This is what I've seen with similar scenarios.
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #12
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

if this has never happend to anyone, well they haven't been hunting long.
it sucks, but it happens.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #13
trophy8
Pope & Young

Been there on a big *** axis. He hit so hard his head bounced off the ground. We high fived and up and off he goes lol. He survived. I pulled the shot a touch back. High shoulder shot. Totally my fault. Wish I had that one back but lesson learned. 196 yards off sticks and standing. My least favorite way to shoot.

That buck will be back.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #14
skinsfan
Ten Point

Thanks for all of the kind words. Life is good and I have a ton to be grateful for but dang I feel like my ol lady just left me. I’ll Hunt again tomorrow!
Old 12-31-2021, 07:29 PM   #15
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

My brother told me this about 30 years ago. I know they say don't do this but when I shoot something with a rifle I get to him as fast as I can. Imagine getting hammered by a 150 grain bullet. Pretty sure your body would be in some kind of shock for a few minutes. This is just what I do not saying it's right or wrong but works for me. If you hunt very long your going to make a poor shot we've all done that. Mine was a 20 yards liver shot on a buck with a 8 inch drop.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #16
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

Hunt In: <---- Top Secret!

Good 🤞!

Rick
thehairlessone! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 07:42 PM   #17
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell View Post
Maybe you should switch to a bow.

Donít listen to this. 156yds with a bow wouldnít be any better. Ridiculous.

It happens. Like others said your attitude is right even though it is unfortunate. You gave it your best effort in every way. Hopefully he will be back around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 09:52 PM   #18
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Sorry man! Been there.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
Thanks for all of the kind words. Life is good and I have a ton to be grateful for but dang I feel like my ol lady just left me. Iíll Hunt again tomorrow!
Thatís the right thing, good luck.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 10:02 PM   #20
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Bad Shot on buck, feeling like crud!

They are resilient.

Hagen shot this buck a few weeks ago, 95 yards with 175 grain BTHP out of the .308. The deer went 20 yards and we heard him hit the ground. Shot was right at dark.

Entrance on left, exit on right.

We walked up on him 20 minutes after the shot and he exploded out of the tall grass bounding away from us like he was pretty bad off. We didnít know it at the time, but he dropped in his tracks about 50 yards from where we jumped him. We gave him time since it was below 34 and found him a few hours later.

That shot placement destroyed one lung. I was shocked. Shot placement slightly up and back a bit, but no liver or gut. Zero blood on the ground except where we jumped him. Small pool of blood about 6-8Ē in diameter at that location.

Last edited by Chad C; 12-31-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 10:11 PM   #21
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Years ago I shot a buck that was 300 yards out in the middle of a wide open field with a 7mag.. Squeezed the trigger and he crumbled. I thought Wow that was cool.. I gather my stuff up and sit there for about 5 minutes and then heaed in his direction slowly.. As I walk up on this "stone dead deer" I notice something that doesn't look right for a "dead deer".. I see the whites of his eyes. His eyes were rolled back in his head a bit. He did not appear to be breathing so a grabbed his antler and pulled on it and his neck was stiff as a board.. A backed up about 15 feet and he jumped to his feet and hauled azz like he just woke up from a nap.. Big white, fluffy tail flagging away all the way across the field.. There was a nickle sized spot of blood were he was laying. To this day it is a mystery.. A total head scratcher.. Lol

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 12-31-2021 at 10:13 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 10:38 PM   #22
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Years ago I shot a buck that was 300 yards out in the middle of a wide open field with a 7mag.. Squeezed the trigger and he crumbled. I thought Wow that was cool.. I gather my stuff up and sit there for about 5 minutes and then heaed in his direction slowly.. As I walk up on this "stone dead deer" I notice something that doesn't look right for a "dead deer".. I see the whites of his eyes. His eyes were rolled back in his head a bit. He did not appear to be breathing so a grabbed his antler and pulled on it and his neck was stiff as a board.. A backed up about 15 feet and he jumped to his feet and hauled azz like he just woke up from a nap.. Big white, fluffy tail flagging away all the way across the field.. There was a nickle sized spot of blood were he was laying. To this day it is a mystery.. A total head scratcher.. Lol
holy sheite; this almost sounds like a scenario i heard when i was a youngster.
a guy shoots a big bull elk and walks up to him and for some reason steps over his neck and starts to cut it's throat; elk wakes up and is pizzed...rodeo is on.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2021, 10:54 PM   #23
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

A couple of years ago, Nathan (son) folded a buck in his tracks. High fives! Kept an eye on him and he just didn't seem to die (slight movements, trying to move his head). Told him to put another in him. Done. Couple mins later, buck jumped up and took off.

Called Roy Hindes. Dogs trailed and bayed him. Deer recovered.

First shot was high shoulder. Ends up the second was high as well. With the deer on its side, that shot hit a foot.

Roy said the foot shot is the only way the deer was caught by the dogs. The high shoulder did zero real damage, but just stunned him like a football stinger. His advice was any deer that hits the ground but not dead right away, shoot again. If still not dead dead dead, shoot again. He said "those bullets are a hell of a lot cheaper than calling me out here."

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 02:03 AM   #24
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Ozona

I lost my first deer this year. Gut shot a nice 8 at 10 yards with my bow. No blood and never found him. Searched for hours even had a dog help but nothing. Still feel sick about it. I know it happens but it still sucks.

basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #25
SJP51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan, San Augustine

Never lost one with a rifle. But have poor archery shots. I just hate hurting one.
SJP51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #26
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Thanks for being Honest Man...Lots would said it was caliber at fault/wrong brand shells/wrong weight bullet/Sometimes under Excitement of the hunt (Buck Fever)/wind was too strong....And some would say I never fired a shot it was across fence on another lease...

Sorry for your loss..But the way it sounds He will make someone else a Trophy someday or ...MAYBE YOU
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #27
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Theres a good video on youtube where a deer takes a 7mag to the neck and survives. They shoot it, I think the next season, and confirm it was the one hit. Crazy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 07:04 AM   #28
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrage View Post
Donít listen to this. 156yds with a bow wouldnít be any better. Ridiculous.

It happens. Like others said your attitude is right even though it is unfortunate. You gave it your best effort in every way. Hopefully he will be back around.

Dont mean to sound insensitive, we have all wounded deer, but this is texasBOWhunter
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #29
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Made a few bad shots over the years, a few took the urge to hunt out of me for a bit

if you hunt enough it happens
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 07:19 AM   #30
skinsfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Thanks for being Honest Man...Lots would said it was caliber at fault/wrong brand shells/wrong weight bullet/Sometimes under Excitement of the hunt (Buck Fever)/wind was too strong....And some would say I never fired a shot it was across fence on another lease...

Sorry for your loss..But the way it sounds He will make someone else a Trophy someday or ...MAYBE YOU
No, it was 100% me and I know it. Hard not to replay in your head wondering what you shouldíve done different!
Old 01-01-2022, 07:21 AM   #31
skinsfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Made a few bad shots over the years, a few took the urge to hunt out of me for a bit

if you hunt enough it happens
Thatís how I felt yesterday, thought about all of the money I could save if I just went down to HEBís and bought my meat like everyone else, even thought about what I could do with the money Iíd make off of all Of my junk. Sitting in stand this morning has helped, Iíll be watching cameras closely as well!
Old 01-01-2022, 07:29 AM   #32
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
Theres a good video on youtube where a deer takes a 7mag to the neck and survives. They shoot it, I think the next season, and confirm it was the one hit. Crazy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have actually watched this video.. It is pretty insane.. A solid neck hit that had to do serious tissue damage.. How he didn't die from infection is wild...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #33
Paycheck
Ten Point

Had a guy on the lease 3 years ago that shot a just legal buck on the last weekend. I was hunting across field from him and heard the shot then another shot with a pistol when He walk up to the deer. He lifted the head of the deer and stuck his boot in the rake to confirm it was at least 13 inches. Then walk back to camp to get his tag filled out, young son and 4 wheeler. When he got back deer was gone. He thought I was playing a joke on him. Found one drop of blood 50 yards from where the deer was down.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 07:33 AM   #34
skinsfan
Ten Point

Have not seen deer again but hoping he’ll show back up after pressure dies down!