Indian heritage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian heritage?

My great grandmother was a full blooded Indian according to stories from my mothers side of the family when I was growing up. Everyone I know from that side of family has passed away. Now how would I research this and prove it? I am interested in the aspect to be considered a minority owned business and I believe Indian heritage would open that door. Thoughts/suggestions?

Have you tried researching on Ancestry.com or any of the other genealogy websites? May be a start . . .

Comment

DNA testing...... like Warren.

Comment

Best way is see if she was registered with that tribe through the reservation. My great grandmother was and I have family that lives on tribal lands. I’ve never been interested in the registry but that would be easiest way

Comment

Ancestry.com is a great start. I was able to find the interview with the agent and my Great Grandmother in Q&A format. If you are Cherokee, the Dawes Roll is a great help. Having a roll number will speed things (processing) up.

Comment

So if you can somehow dig up that great granny was an Indian you get some special advantage for your business? Crazy world we live in

Comment

My wife and three boys are all card carrying Cherokee/Delaware tribal members. You are going to have a very difficult time proving your bloodline if there are no roll numbers or family history records. Like mentioned above I would start with a DNA ancestry test to see if it’s even worth messing with. My father in law has a detailed book of all the generations and original Dawes roll numbers. My boys are allowed to posses bald Eagle feathers which would be a felony for me. My mother in law also has Native American blood but cannot prove it to an extent to receive a tribal roll number. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                My wife and three boys are all card carrying Cherokee/Delaware tribal members. You are going to have a very difficult time proving your bloodline if there are no roll numbers or family history records. Like mentioned above I would start with a DNA ancestry test to see if it’s even worth messing with. My father in law has a detailed book of all the generations and original Dawes roll numbers. My boys are allowed to posses bald Eagle feathers which would be a felony for me. My mother in law also has Native American blood but cannot prove it to an extent to receive a tribal roll number. Good luck.
                Precisely……it is very difficult and time consuming. My family has a heavy Native American influence on my moms side. Enough that even my children have enough to be registered. My great uncle started the process of record keeping from tracking down our lineage about 20 years ago….13 years ago he finally had enough documentation to be registered with the tribe. His children completed theirs about 2 years later. My grandmother finished hers 2 years ago and now my mom is working on it. Once she is complete I could complete mine then followed by my kids. There are some benefits to it but a lot of bureaucratic red tape to taking advantage of those benefits. Good luck to you and like others said I would start with DNA testing to see if you have enough to start the journey

Comment

Also, keep in mind you may find out something that is not to your liking. I've seen countless stories where a family has all this pride in their Native American, Irish, Italian, etc heritage...a grandkid does one of these DNA tests and turns out to be completely false.

Comment

It's 2021. You can identify as a grapefruit if you want. No paperwork needed Troops with the Brush.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      Also, keep in mind you may find out something that is not to your liking. I've seen countless stories where a family has all this pride in their Native American, Irish, Italian, etc heritage...a grandkid does one of these DNA tests and turns out to be completely false.
                      Exactly, my wife was told all her life that her grandmother was half Indian. When her DNA results came in for my wife, not a single bit of Indian blood

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post

Yes sir, or even worse people you thought you were related to aren’t in fact! Just know it happens pretty often with those ancestry websites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There was always a lot of talk in my family about how a great grandmother was 50% Choctaw, and then some Cherokee on the other side. Did my dna and estimate was 48% English, 23% Scottish, 19% Swedish / danish / Norwegian, and 10% Irish.

Just about as plain-Jane white as it gets

Comment

Wasn't there a couple a identical twins that did a DNA test and the results were completely different? May want a second opinion is all I'm saying.

Comment

It was real popular, back in the 70’s, to claim American Indian heritage. Most people you came across just couldn’t wait to tell you about their heritage. My son in law was told all his life that his grandfather was 100% native but when he had his dna run it came back negative and he had it run by two different outfits.
                              I had mine run and it came back in line with all my family’s stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X