Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

The two does in one shot made me wonder what some of the best shots you've ever made were or even ones that just turned out to be lucky?

Two that come to mind was when I was a kid. A buddy of mine and I were out shooting birds with our BB Guns and it was about time to call it quits. My buddy said ok let's go. I said let me waste this bb real quick. I pointed my gun up into a tree a squeezed the trigger. A male English Sparrow fell out stone dead. Another time I was shooting prairie dogs with my uncle and he pointed one out to me. I shoot and the prairie dog goes down. About 50 yards behind it and to the left another 25 yards or so the bullet hit another one after it passed through and ricocheted off the ground behind it.

I've shot two doves out of the sky with one shot two times in my life. Hit two coyotes with one shot once as well. I'm sure there's more but that's about it for the ones I didn't plan on having happen the way they did. It was more or less at least one animal was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Collateral damage if you will.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
okrattler
Pope & Young

I almost forgot about the piglet that just happened to be running on the other side of a sow I shot one time. The bullet passed through the sow and hit the piglet in the head.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
J Loves Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Gotten a few lucky shots…. Luckiest one was my first archery kill at 16. Texas Dall Ram moved as I released the shot at 14yards making me clip the spine a bit. It takes off jogging with a bit of a limp away from me ….. I grab another arrow and draw back wait for an opening, guess the range and release. Right through the vitals at 36 yards. No clue how I hit it the way I did. Dumb thing on my part was I was videotaping it so that may have led to me multitasking and blowing the original shot.
Attached Images

J Loves Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
sideways
Ten Point

I killed 3 squirrels with one shot under a feeder 22-250 55 grain ballistic tip. About 100 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
Rubberdown
Ten Point

One time there was a pig running bout 200 yards off and I had pawpaw’s lever action 3030. I said I’ll get it. Dad and pawpaw say bull crap. Threw the gun up all casual like, led it... one shot dirt nap. They were all holy crap and I played it super cool like I knew it was going to work. I could never make that shot again.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Made about a 500yard shot on a coyote with a Remington 742 30/06 and Remington accelerator 55 grain. On a good day that rifle shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the 150 grainers it liked with the accelerators never was able to get it to group less than a paper plate at a 100 yards. That coyote was just really unlucky that day.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Loves Huntin View Post
Gotten a few lucky shots…. Luckiest one was my first archery kill at 16. Texas Dall Ram moved as I released the shot at 14yards making me clip the spine a bit. It takes off jogging with a bit of a limp away from me ….. I grab another arrow and draw back wait for an opening, guess the range and release. Right through the vitals at 36 yards. No clue how I hit it the way I did. Dumb thing on my part was I was videotaping it so that may have led to me multitasking and blowing the original shot.
Lots of practice and muscle memory mixed with instincts. Sometimes that's all it takes to seal the deal.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

I busted a big gobbler one time. He was running about as fast as any pressured turkey runs. He was running left to right at about a 45 degree angle away from me. 1 shot with the 223 and it went down. He was 257 steps from me. I had 0 expectation of making the shot. It was 90% luck 10% skill. It was getting late in the afternoon on the final day of the hunt. Had no luck calling with the shotgun and let one fly with the rifle. Amazed the heck outta me that I went home with a long beard .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
JBJTX81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

My best shot is the 2nd shot here in my video.. Some might say "luckiest" at 33 yards walking, but I played it over in my head what I could have to do once he turned broadside (lead and holding my single pin a tad high) for shot #2 and what I knew I needed to do while he stood there looking at me. Knowing he already had one arrow through him in a less than desirable spot, I knew I needed to get one more in him before he left the pen. Optimal would have been for him to turn broadside but I also knew I may not be able to get him to stop while injured. Worked out pretty good..

Last edited by Smart; 12-24-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #10
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I made back to back shots on pigs at ~705 and 810 yds, dropping them both. There were three folks there with me who witnessed it, I think I was in as much awe as they were. I don’t think I could pull that off again.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #11
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I killed 3 squirrels with one shot under a feeder 22-250 55 grain ballistic tip. About 100 yds.

That's pretty good. I've have some I can't post

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post

Oh yeah that's been known to happen with prairie dogs. If there's several on a mound you can get all or most of them with that exact setup. Bullet fragments and pieces of bone and whatnot can do some damage to the critters in the vicinity of the intended target. Those 55gr. V-Max can really cause some problems.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #13
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
I made back to back shots on pigs at ~705 and 810 yds, dropping them both. There were three folks there with me who witnessed it, I think I was in as much awe as they were. I don’t think I could pull that off again.
Thats crazy and fun

Old 12-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

One more I ranged a deer for Pernell on here at 102 yds. Let it ripp shot was drifting to the right deer walked right into it x ring. Ran 30yds drt

Old 12-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

First bow kill was a javi at 40 yards. Got a muley at 45 yards with my bow in colorado public land.

As far as rifle shots go - I’ve gotten 2 pigs with one shot many times at 250 yards.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
My best shot is the 2nd shot here in my video.. Some might say "luckiest" at 33 yards walking, but I played it over in my head what I could have to do once he turned broadside (lead and holding my single pin a tad high) for shot #2 and what I knew I needed to do while he stood there looking at me. Knowing he already had one arrow through him in a less than desirable spot, I knew I needed to get one more in him before he left the pen. Optimal would have been for him to turn broadside but I also knew I may not be able to get him to stop while injured. Worked out pretty good..

Skimmer No Brows - YouTube
Heck yeah! I can't believe he stuck around that long. That part of it was lucky. You made that second shot count. A moving shot at that.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Heck yeah! I can't believe he stuck around that long. That part of it was lucky. You made that second shot count. A moving shot at that.

Me either...I'm not even sure he knew he was hit for a long time. Very fortunate there. . He only went about 50 yards after that second one though.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #18
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJTX81 View Post
I busted a big gobbler one time. He was running about as fast as any pressured turkey runs. He was running left to right at about a 45 degree angle away from me. 1 shot with the 223 and it went down. He was 257 steps from me. I had 0 expectation of making the shot. It was 90% luck 10% skill. It was getting late in the afternoon on the final day of the hunt. Had no luck calling with the shotgun and let one fly with the rifle. Amazed the heck outta me that I went home with a long beard .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Sometimes you just gotta sling one out there and let the chips fall where they may. You can't hit them if you don't shoot.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #19
Yelladog
Ten Point

Shooting doves when I was 14-15. I winged one and he landed across a fence. He was walking and I was running low on shells so didn’t want to waste one but I figured he would fly off when I hopped over the fence. So I picked up a rock hoping I could at least roll him over. I hit him in the head and killed him stone dead. Looked around and was like nobody gonna believe that sheet

Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Me either...I'm not even sure he knew he was hit for a long time. Very fortunate there. . He only went about 50 yards after that second one though.
He may not have. I believe we're all equipped with whatever it is that prevents pain from happening right off. For example if you've ever been cut super deep it sure enough looks bad but it don't necessarily hurt. Kinda weird how a paper cut will sting but a cut that needs stitches don't hurt until way after. I bet he just heard the arrow smack and it just spooked him a little. Little did he know he had some health problems kicking in.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #21
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelladog View Post
Shooting doves when I was 14-15. I winged one and he landed across a fence. He was walking and I was running low on shells so didn’t want to waste one but I figured he would fly off when I hopped over the fence. So I picked up a rock hoping I could at least roll him over. I hit him in the head and killed him stone dead. Looked around and was like nobody gonna believe that sheet

That reminds me of the time my Uncle and my Grandpa and I went out to a buddy of ours shed. He had pigeons living in there and there were making a mess everywhere so we went to thin some out. For some reason those stupid things weren't wanting to fly out. So my Grandpa picks up a piece of a 2X4 and starts throwing it at them while they were up in the rafters. He killed more with that piece of board than we killed with the shotguns.LOL
Old 12-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voca, Jasper county, newton county and sabine county

I've killed 3 squirrels that were running with a .22 rifle 2 of the 3 times two of my buddies had already emptied their shot guns trying to kill the squirrels.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #23
chuckc.
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ballinger

Live turkey shoot in Fredericksburg many years ago. Turkeys were tied behind railroad ties with white sheets hung behind them so you could see just their head when they raised it above the tie. Distance was one hundred yards shots were offhand standing. I was shooting a very authentic Hawken rifle with with buckhorn rear sight and silver blade front sight. I had made the 54 caliber rifle myself a few months before the shoot.
First shot hit the turkey square in the head. I couldn’t see what happened because of all the black powder smoke but I heard the crowd react to the shot. I asked my brother if I had hit the bird. He replied , “ Hell yes , you blew his head off”.
I acted like the shot was nothing out of the ordinary and put the rifle away. Went and got my turkey and didn’t shoot again. I knew I could never repeat that shot no matter how many times I tried!
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #24
Bullfrog90
Eight Point

Shot a bobcat at 43yds trotting away. Arrow dropped right in between his shoulders. He was trotting away because I missed him at 12yds with the first shot.
Bullfrog90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #25
okrattler
Pope & Young

I've killed a turkey and a coyote at over 60 yards with a shotgun. We were huntin two hours from home and had already made a few attempts at getting a turkey. We had called up several jakes and passed on them when we saw a big tom strutting way out in a wheat field. Hens were all around him. I finally decided I wasn't waiting for him to come to me. I was going to him. So I crouched down and moved up a weed row until I thought I was close enough. I look up and they're all single file heading out and they were being quick about it. I drew a bead on the tom and watch him do a cartwheel when I shot. Those Hevi Shot 13 3 1/2" #5's were bad to the bone. He was flopping and jumping when I went out there. I pinned him down with my foot and went to grab him. Still have a scar on my thumb from where he spurred me. Wasn't long and he died. I'd got a few pellets in his head and neck. Biggest turkey I ever shot.

The coyote I killed at 63 yards I believe it was. If I remember correctly that turkey was too. Anyway I called in a mangy coyote and he started acting like he was getting skittish so I shot and knocked him down. He got back up so I hit him again. Turns out my first shot hit him in the legs. The second one got him in the face,neck and side. Shot him with Winchester Varmint X 3" BB. Same shotgun and choke on both of them.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #26
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Several that were either lucky or unreal. P&Y antelope at 91 yards in NM, ranged with and 80 yard pin on my bow and lots of long range practice at that time of my life so not real difficult. Heart shot, Ran 100 yards right at and past me!

Head shot on a Merriam turkey at 81 yards, again with the 80 yard pin and lots of practice.

Very long range (not sure how long) on a Corsican ram. I just flung an arrow at him to say i shot at him due to following and tracking him all day. Double lung shot, went 20 yards. He was named Big Red at the Baker Ranch. From the lore surrounding the ranch and this ram and people that hunted and shot at Big Red, he had been hit several times, not fatally and had been missed several times.

I have always said, I would rather be luckier than good when it comes to bowhunting!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #27
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I used to pour corn in a line in front of my stand just for this reason. My best was 4 piglets of about 20 pounds apeice and 6 crows with a seventh hit with my 260. The bullet hit the first 2 crows and exploded. I hit the first 2 piglets thru the lungs the third was liver and the fourth in the forhead.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #28
okrattler
Pope & Young

I've made a few good/lucky shots with a pistol. Shot a skunk once at 163 steps with a .22 revolver. Took 12 shots but I finally hit it. It looked like a black dot moving around out there. I had to put it on top of the sights and move up so I could lob bullets at it. Shot a jackrabbit not long after that with my buddies Browning Buckmark. It was 140 something steps away. Also shot a raccoon once right on the end of the nose with my grandpas Ruger pistol. Looked like he had 3 nostrils. When I went and got it there was an old pack of Winston cigarettes under it. So that raccoon is known as Winston.

Also hit a cottontail that was on a dead run with that Ruger pistol. Hit it square in the head. Hit an armadillo in the head twice at 35 yards with the .22 revolver with the .22mag cylinder in it.

Killed two coyotes with a 7.62x25 Tokarev. One from 25 yards and the other from around 50 except that one was running. The one that was running was pure luck.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #29
Deut.31:6
Six Point

Hunt In: Winnsboro, Haskell

I heart shot a coyote at 180 yards on the run. Pretty lucky
Deut.31:6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #30
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Shot a doe at around 275 yards with a model 700 .270.
She laid down and acted funny took a little while to expire.
Another doe comes out slightly closer smooth miss kinda odd, I'm not a sharp shooter but with a good rest I hit what I shoot.

Realized i hit the first deer low and in the liver not where i was aiming check the gun for zero couple days later its 6" low and left at 100 yards. Explains the miss and the total luck liver hit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #31
huntozarks
Four Point

Luckiest shot I ever made on a WT he was 47 yards through a little brush, I was down in the creek and he was above me in the field, knowing he would bolt I aimed about 6" in front of him and low, when I released I watched him run right into my arrow, heart shot him

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
huntozarks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #32
okrattler
Pope & Young

Years ago I shot a ground squirrel on the run with a 10/22. Heard a loud pop and went out to inspect it. Its head was completely gone.

I haven't made any shots that were much over 400 yards. A few in the 360'ish yard range on coyotes and 1 just over 400 yards. I've pulled off some decent offhand shots and shots on running or moving coyotes over the years. Anything over 300 yards was pure luck. I'm not a good long range shooter really. I've killed some prairie dogs that were a ways out there but I was shooting from a pretty solid rest so......
Old 12-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #33
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

When I was about 16 I shot a coyote right between the eyes with a 20ga slug at about 100yds. I also shot a trotting coyote at 72yds with a bow one year. Both had goods amounts of luck to them.
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #34
TTUgrad08
Six Point

Shot 3 dove(flying) with one shot from my 20 ga.

Dropped a grackle out of the air with a pellet gun when I was kid

Had witnesses on both times as well.
TTUgrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #35
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Sure you could. Heck if you can do it once surely you could pull it off twice.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to kick dirt up at their feet at that distance. That's a long ways.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #36
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

We were tank jumping ducks when I was in college (actually pond jumping since it was in Oklahoma��) there was a big group of mallards on a shallow slew in the open with no way to sneak up on them. I had a slug in my bag for some reason and I decided to shoot it amongst them hoping it would scare them over to another nearby pond that had a high dam. I shot from over 100 yards away. They flushed except for one - that slug hit a drake square in the head!
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #37
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
We were tank jumping ducks when I was in college (actually pond jumping since it was in Oklahoma��) there was a big group of mallards on a shallow slew in the open with no way to sneak up on them. I had a slug in my bag for some reason and I decided to shoot it amongst them hoping it would scare them over to another nearby pond that had a high dam. I shot from over 100 yards away. They flushed except for one - that slug hit a drake square in the head?
Oh man!LOL Long bombed him! That's wild.

But yes you are correct. Tanks are what you fill up for cows and horses.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #38
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I invited a friend of mine to dove hunt. Was a place to go, but never really shot many doves. He had just bought a new high dollar shotgun and was saying how smooth it shot. I’ve had a cheap Winchester I bought at Walmart 30 years ago that I like to shoot. He was razzing me some.
During a lull in action. I walked over to him to offer a cold one. I had shot a few doves. He missed everything he shot at. After a few minutes I was walking back to my spot, beer in one hand and shotgun in the other. A dove flew over and he missed three times. I brought my shotgun up to my shoulder one handed and dropped the dove with one shot. Didn’t spill a drop.
He was ready to leave just to shut me up.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #39
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Where is that post where the dude shoots the doe in the head from like 1500 yards!?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #40
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Luck?
Heck man all my shots are pure skill.

In all seriousness.
I generally try to avoid a sketchy shot on game.
I do occasionally pull a two fer on hogs though. Actually managed a double head shot this season with my rifle that took a little bit of timing.

Couple of Years ago I jumped some swine feeding in a cattle pen. Shot first one in her tracks and after that the race was on. A few hauled out across a very wide open pasture and I started lobbing shots off, about 150 yards out I cartwheeled a decent sized sow. Closer inspection revealed a running eyeball shot…couldn’t manage that again if I tried. And I know it. Got three total pigs outta that episode.

Last edited by SwampBuck; 12-24-2021 at 04:29 PM.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #41
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

This is a buck I killed 30 years ago on the Brazos river bottom. It was the worst shot I have ever made on a deer but he only went 30 yards and fell over graveyard dead. He was chasing a doe around the tree I was in and wouldn’t stop. After the third time around I let one fly at 25 yards and he spun 180 on me. I thought I missed until he stopped and started wobbling. Come to find out when he spun my arrow went right between his back legs severing his Femoral Artery. He expired in about 30 seconds.
Attached Images

Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #42
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

28 yard archery shot on bull elk

Hit aorta just above lung's, went 8 yards and down. Could not believe it. It got up, one step, and went down and never moved again.
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #43
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

When I was about 12 I shot at a running coyote at 100 yards and rolled him. 2nd was a turkey I spooked and shot mid air dropping him with my 12ga.

TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #44
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

In CO. hunting mule deer and five of us are in a Super Cab Ford pickup going down a ranch road to meet another guide and two hunters. A coyote busts out across the gravel road and the guide slams on the brakes and yells “kill that SOB”. I’m riding shotgun so I jump out as soon as the truck stops sliding and point my Remington 700 in 7mm between the door and cab. As soon as the gun hit my shoulder the crosshairs were on his nose, and I slapped the trigger. He was running on solid rock in the spillway of a pond and he went down immediately and spun several times because he was running as fast as a coyote can run. Talk about luck !

My luckiest shot with a bow was at First Point. We were hunting hogs and javis and I was sitting next to a corned road when I heard a noise straight in front of me and directly a hog snout and face came out of the brush. She pulled her head back and I could hear them paralleling the road. At that particular time in my life I had been having retina problems in my right eye but didn’t actually know it yet, I just knew I couldn’t see well. My left eye was fine and was trying to become my dominate eye, so if I didn’t squint or close my left eye my arrows would fly left. Ok, so the sow comes out, I range her at 45 yards, draw, steady, then squeeze the release. I can see the arrow is flying left and I’m about to cuss myself for not squinting when the sow takes a quick step forward and the arrow goes straight through her heart ! Now, I had already killed a 6’ or more rattler that day and I was not anxious to follow that hog into that brush. Luckily for me, (again), she fell in a drain just before the brush got super thick.

There are more that I can’t think of I’m sure but those will do for now.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #45
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Talking A LOT of trash one afternoon I bet another guy “he couldn’t hit that coot swimming out there”… and he passed the bet back. I said if I do you gotta swim and go get my arrow and the coot…

I ranged… and ranged. Kept getting the water reading. FINALLY I got a range!!! 78 yards… swimming. I did t tell him this but I had an arrow I found nocked with a mechanical broadhead with bent blades on it. Lol. I have no idea what that arrow weight… and 2 fletch left

The second the arrow left the rest I thought “I got him!”…… stoned him dead as a rock! Never moved again. Lol. I just sat back in my chair like no big deal and said go get my bird. Lol
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #46
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

The one that always comes to mind would be a hummingbird with the ole Red Rider when I was probably 8 or 9. I was sure proud of the SOB. Momma wasn’t happy.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #47
Yelladog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
That reminds me of the time my Uncle and my Grandpa and I went out to a buddy of ours shed. He had pigeons living in there and there were making a mess everywhere so we went to thin some out. For some reason those stupid things weren't wanting to fly out. So my Grandpa picks up a piece of a 2X4 and starts throwing it at them while they were up in the rafters. He killed more with that piece of board than we killed with the shotguns.LOL

Lmao that awesome

Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #48
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

My first bow kill was 2 for one pigs. Didn't even see the pig in the back. Blood trail split around a tree giving it away.

My cousin and I (AAA on here) caught a mouse early in our high school years. He had it in some sort of container while I strapped on my dad's .22 revolver. Plan was release on 3 and I was going to quick draw the little rodent. Head shot him on about his 2nd jump. This is a story I don't tell often because most people don't believe it. Pure luck, but it happened.

Killed 2 pigs with one shot with a rifle on purpose a few times. Twice on video. (Not a real skilled shot, wait for them to line up and shoot the front one where you would normally shoot it)

Several ducks and geese over the years that were way too high to even be shooting at. Normally 1 lucky BB to the noggin'

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #49
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
This is a buck I killed 30 years ago on the Brazos river bottom. It was the worst shot I have ever made on a deer but he only went 30 yards and fell over graveyard dead. He was chasing a doe around the tree I was in and wouldn’t stop. After the third time around I let one fly at 25 yards and he spun 180 on me. I thought I missed until he stopped and started wobbling. Come to find out when he spun my arrow went right between his back legs severing his Femoral Artery. He expired in about 30 seconds.
You look dang familiar, Terry’s Taxidermy in Alvin?
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #50
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Antelope hunting in Wyoming one yr dad stopped at a old homestead to dig around for some antique junk we could haul back to Texas.
I was about 10 or so, and grabbed a little 2" barreled 22 magnum he kept in the door, and took off to shoot some rabbits, while he dug around.
Rabbits were everywhere that yr and I hadn't gone but about 50 yrds or so and found one sitting on a little rise about 20 ft in front of me.
Emptied the cylinder and he was still there.
Reloaded, and on the 9th shot I hit the rabbit and he went to flopping.
When I walked over to him, there were 3 dead rabbits just on the other side of the little rise.
No clue how it happened, and I never saw but one rabbit, but wound up killing 4.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top