Building a smoker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a smoker question

I am building a smoker out of a propane tank. I am doing an insulated firebox. The pipe (24 by 30 inch) I am using that will hold the fire has the green fusion bonded epoxy coating. Does any one have any good ideas or know how to remove the green layer? Thanks

Grinder and a 12 pack?

Comment

Pear burner and scrapper is what I used. Then went back over it with a grinder

Comment

Originally posted by creekbottom02 View Post
        Pear burner and scrapper is what I used. Then went back over it with a grinder
        Did it come off pretty easy? Should I burn a fire in the inside and then do it with my weed burner on the outside before using a scrapper?

Comment

Originally posted by bigtex76 View Post
          Did it come off pretty easy? Should I burn a fire in the inside and then do it with my weed burner on the outside before using a scrapper?

Just start a hot *** fire inside the pipe. Partially cover the ends to keep the heat in. Once it starts bubbling, it will scrape right off. Roll the pipe around as needed to spread heat.

I’ve tried using a pear burner and grinders and it takes way longer and still doesn’t get it completely clean. I built this pit a while back out of a 7’ piece of 24”x3/8” wall casing. I had the coating burned off in about 45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
            Just start a hot *** fire inside the pipe. Partially cover the ends to keep the heat in. Once it starts bubbling, it will scrape right off. Roll the pipe around as needed to spread heat.

I’ve tried using a pear burner and grinders and it takes way longer and still doesn’t get it completely clean. I built this pit a while back out of a 7’ piece of 24”x3/8” wall casing. I had the coating burned off in about 45 minutes.

Nice

Comment

Yea. It went fairly quick. But I’m sure a fire on the inside would do just as well. Like raider said once it bubbles up just start scrapping

Comment

Doing the fire thing worked. Took a little a while to get it hot enough.

Comment

Cool. Interested in pics if you've got 'em

Comment

We have built a fire with it standing on end. As it gets hot and start bubbling you can hit it with a small stream of water and the steam and water pressure take a lot of the material off also. Just make sure you have the pipe elevated off the ground if you are working on concrete---our Ag teacher found out the hard way on that one!!

We used old fence boards and 2x4s that weren't any good anymore for the fire

Comment

Originally posted by Welding Teach View Post
                      We have built a fire with it standing on end. As it gets hot and start bubbling you can hit it with a small stream of water and the steam and water pressure take a lot of the material off also. Just make sure you have the pipe elevated off the ground if you are working on concrete---our Ag teacher found out the hard way on that one!!

We used old fence boards and 2x4s that weren't any good anymore for the fire
                      This is how I do it. Gap it off the ground, stuff it full of wood, and it will start drafting like a fireplace. I have never had to scrape any paint off. The pipe gets so hot it just falls off. Easy peasy.

Comment

The pipe will be for our inner pipe in our insulated fire book. We stood it up and put a bunch of wood and started it up. I will post pic next time I get out there. It is at my buddies house.

Comment

Working...
                        X