Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the South Texas boys and girls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the South Texas boys and girls...

i asked this on the South Texas thread but figure it may get lost in the mix. What do the average trophies on your ranches/leases score? 140s, 150s, 160s? Low fence only. Still new down here and curious about realistic expectations.

South is a big area. Anywhere from 120 up to 170+. What’s your area more specifically?

Comment

I'm in McMullen but curious about more than just that county

Comment

I’m in Starr county, haven’t seen anything that will break into the 100’s only shot a spike last season…

Comment

Large Low fence ranches under feed programs can grow deer just like the high fence ranches. McMullen county can grow some real monsters.

Comment

I'm in Jim Hogg next to Brooks and we see 140s tops, but we don't feed protein, got cattle on it and I'm the only one of 7 who feeds year round on the 1500 acres. I'm also the only one allowed to bow hunt as per owner. Price is right though.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
              I’m in Starr county, haven’t seen anything that will break into the 100’s only shot a spike last season…
              Lots and lots of poaching in that area, or used to be back in the day anyways

Comment

Back when I hunted on a low fence lease in Maverick county I wouldn't pull the trigger on anything below 170. And that was before feeding was a fad.

Comment

I’m around the jourdanton area , 150s- 160s consistent every year.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post

“Low fence” and “Starr county” don’t mesh well my friend. Too many people shooting anything with antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      Lots and lots of poaching in that area, or used to be back in the day anyways

We had a high fenced lease in Starr a few years back… We’d drive up to the blind and have poachers hop out and high tail it into the brush.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                        i asked this on the South Texas thread but figure it may get lost in the mix. What do the average trophies on your ranches/leases score? 140s, 150s, 160s? Low fence only. Still new down here and curious about realistic expectations.
                        I know you ask about low fence only. We are high fenced, but all native genetics-so not much different IMO. Outside of Hebbronville. This is our 5th year and we are killing low 60’s fairly consistent, killed one deer in the low 70’s so far. Feeding protein around 9 months out of the year. Interesting thread and have wondered this a lot. Thanks for starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                          “Low fence” and “Starr county” don’t mesh well my friend. Too many people shooting anything with antlers.

Yea I know… I wish I had somewhere else to hunt, I’m praying for a miracle…

Comment

140-150” IMO. McMullen Co. That being said, LO’s daughter just killed a 187 and I’m chasing a high 70s currently.

Comment

I hunt a low fence place in Southern Jim Hogg near the Zapata county line and I’d say any thing over 140 is a good buck on our place. In the past three years we’ve taken one in the 150s and a mid 160s. It’s only 1100 acres.

Comment

Working...
                              X