No announcement yet.

Stop grinding deer shoulders- Mississippi pot roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife asked me to do a simple dish to compliment the ham for the guest on Christmas Eve so I’m gonna do another pot roast…aka easy style. I’ll throw in some onion, tators and baby carrots, hire out someone to bring the Hawaiian rolls and call it a day.

Lots of bang for your buck IMO and just too easy boys! 😜

Comment

Has anyone tried this with backstrap? I’m sure it would be just as good but reading through every comment on this thread, it never came up.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
        Has anyone tried this with backstrap? I’m sure it would be just as good but reading through every comment on this thread, it never came up.
        I did my first time.

I did not like the dryness as think the meat was too lean.

Comment

Thanks y’all for all the positive feedback! Can’t believe this thread is still going lol, glad it’s turning out good for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread has way more traction than I could have predicted.

Been eating roast this way for at least 15 yrs. IMO it's okay with whitetail. MUCH better with beef or elk roast. MUCH!!!

Comment

Had it the first time a couple weeks ago. Whoever came up with this is a freakin genius. The au jus packet we found was way high in sodium so I opted for a low sodium brown gravy packet, still delicious, juicy, and flavorful.

Comment

Had it in Alaska with caribou neck, was wonderful. Only problem is I hurt myself eating so much.

Comment

Love pot roast. Gonna give this a try.

Comment

Tried this today. Ridiculously good. My step-by-step…

First, I started with a willing specimen to be the protein source. I chose a front shoulder from this sow I killed with a handgun the day before this past season opened.

Next, gathered the ingredients…
                    1 pack of dry ranch seasoning mix
                    1 pack of Au Jus mix
                    1 stick of butter
                    1/2 jar (or to taste) of sliced pepperoncini peppers and juice
                    1 pork shoulder
                    1 crockpot
                    **Deboned the shoulder to get it to fit**

The prep was so simple, even a rifle hunter could do it.

Set the crockpot to low and and leave it be. I checked mine after 8 hours and it fell apart. It looked like this…

And finally, got out our finest plastic plates, added a few sides, and then got down to business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Randy M; 02-05-2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Definitely trying this!

Comment

Only way we make roast but since my wife doesn’t eat deer meat I won’t make anything like tacos or chili etc with deer. I cut back straps into 3 or 4 sections and always cook on the grill. Sirloin, roast and 1 other muscle from hind quarter are for steak fingers ( sliced somewhat thin, lighted dusted in seasoned flour and fried or jerky. The rest ground for summer sausage and jalapeño snack sticks.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Got a 6lb elk roast going!!! Smells amazing
                            Attached Files

Comment

That looks great Louie!

Comment

Made it again today!! Cooked it about 9-10 hours on high. When the meat falls off the bone I shred it and cook it another hour. Served on a toasted brioche bun, Swiss cheese and peppers on top with extra gravy! Had to eat it with a fork! Man it’s good!!

Comment

Working...
                                X