Kentucky Derby Trip (Info wanted)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kentucky Derby Trip (Info wanted)

Who all has made it to a Derby race? My grandad and I have always loved horse racing, and while he hasn’t ever said it, I know it’s a dream of his to make the trip to see one. This year I want to try to do that for him!

So, who all has went? Any pointers, suggestions..? Tickets are already drying up quick, so I can’t wait too long to pull the trigger. Any suggestions on seating? Places to stay, as well as any other info you may have. I’d love to go halfway and maybe stay a few days in Memphis or Nashville on the way there.

When I went, the infield was a little 'rowdy' to say the least. A few topless girls, backflips off the Port-o-potties, etc, just a heads up.

Comment

Went in 2011, when my wife worked for University of Louisville a colleague bought us tickets for moving to Kentucky. I had zero desire to go however it was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed!!!!
      Seating can make or break in my opinion, we were in a covered area of the stands, I would call it the 50 yard line….
      You will want to walk around, lots of celebrities if you are into that. I highly recommend going down to the paddock and seeing the horses, I grew up with horses but these are on another level, they are magnificent!!!!!
      Try and eat at the Brown Hotel, it’s very historic and famous for its Hot Brown sandwich. I would say stay there but it’s usually booked well in advanced.
      The area around Churchill Downs is very sketchy so before and after get away from the area.
      The best steak house IMO is Jack Fry’s….
      The Louisville Slugger Museum is a cool place to go while there…
      Not sure if this helps but it is a fantastic experience.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        When I went, the infield was a little 'rowdy' to say the least. A few topless girls, backflips off the Port-o-potties, etc, just a heads up.
        Haha, yeah I ruled the infield out.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
          Went in 2011, when my wife worked for University of Louisville a colleague bought us tickets for moving to Kentucky. I had zero desire to go however it was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed!!!!
          Seating can make or break in my opinion, we were in a covered area of the stands, I would call it the 50 yard line….
          You will want to walk around, lots of celebrities if you are into that. I highly recommend going down to the paddock and seeing the horses, I grew up with horses but these are on another level, they are magnificent!!!!!
          Try and eat at the Brown Hotel, it’s very historic and famous for its Hot Brown sandwich. I would say stay there but it’s usually booked well in advanced.
          The area around Churchill Downs is very sketchy so before and after get away from the area.
          The best steak house IMO is Jack Fry’s….
          The Louisville Slugger Museum is a cool place to go while there…
          Not sure if this helps but it is a fantastic experience.
          Excellent info! Appreciate it.

Comment

If you need to fly, Louisville airport is an absolute disaster on a good day. Budget extra time to get thru TSA.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
              I went with a friend 20+ years ago. We did not have tickets so we ended up in the infield. There were 105,000 people in the infield and at least 100,000 of them never watched one single race. It was one hell of a party. I have since been to the Preakness and the Belmont with my wife. We went through booking agents and it was worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                If you need to fly, Louisville airport is an absolute disaster on a good day. Budget extra time to get thru TSA.
                Haha, thanks, but this homeboy ain’t flying anywhere!!

Comment

the infield is party city and an absolute blast!! I do want to experience the race from the stands once though

Comment

Bucket list for me…in for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, don’t even know what to say. A few days after I started this thread my grandfather had a stroke. He’s doing ok, thank the Lord, but there is a road ahead… I don’t think we will be making the derby, but I’m sure thankful the Lord left him here. Thanks all for the info. Maybe one day, but it won’t be this year!

Hug your loved ones. Life changes overnight

Comment

Prayers for your grandfather, and for family on the healing road ahead.

Comment

That sounds like a great bucket list trip. Me and my wife started watching the Kentucky Derby, The Preakness and Belmont Stakes every year about 10 years ago and we really look forward to it now.

Comment

Other stuff in Louisville: As mentioned, the Louisville Slugger Bat Factory and Museum. I’d recommend taking the guided tour. Personalized bats are available and very cool. The Louisville Bats are the Reds’ AAA affiliate. Very nice ball park. I haven’t been to the Muhammad Ali Museum, but it’s there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                              Well, don’t even know what to say. A few days after I started this thread my grandfather had a stroke. He’s doing ok, thank the Lord, but there is a road ahead… I don’t think we will be making the derby, but I’m sure thankful the Lord left him here. Thanks all for the info. Maybe one day, but it won’t be this year!

Hug your loved ones. Life changes overnight

Prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X