WWYS…where would you shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWYS…where would you shoot?

Where would you shoot if you were under gunned?

I often think what I would do if I saw an animal I didn’t have enough gun for.

Let’s say you are out hog hunting with your AR and an exotic walked out at 150 yards. Something you’ve never before seen on your land but definitely something you would shoulder mount….any animal larger than a whitetail…elk, mature auodad, red stag, nilgai, etc but all you had is a small caliber rifle.

Where would you shoot and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas heart shot.

Comment

All about shot placement

Get comfortable make a good shot and no worries
      She shot this at 9yrs old good steady rest @ 160 yards
      6.8spc 110grain accubond
      Attached Files

Comment

High shoulder or heart.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Neck. Taxidermist can fix the little hole. DRT, no trying to follow almost non-existent blood trail.

Comment

I use Barnes TSX bullets in my 223 so if I believed this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, I’d shoot it in the deadly V. The bullet would completely penetrate the vitals and the animal would die quickly. Only trouble is the lack of a blood trail which our dogs would sort out.

Comment

Originally posted by C R Cox View Post
              Get comfortable make a good shot and no worries
              She shot this at 9yrs old good steady rest @ 160 yards
              6.8spc 110grain accubond

That is awesome and a great shot.

Comment

It may be that Sometimes you have to pass

Comment

Heart or neck. Well placed bullet will get the job done.

175 yards, .243 with 87 grain SST Hornady Custom Lite

Ran 50 yards and piled up.

Comment

I was in this exact position with my SBR 300BO last year with match grade FMJs when a 155" 8pt walked out. By the time he realized he was hurt (30 secs or so), he sure had a hard time walking away with a hole punched in each lung, let alone running off into the brush.

Comment

The neck shots I make with a ballistic tip couldn’t be repaired by a taxidermist for a shoulder mount. Last one nearly separated the deer’s head from its body.

Comment

My hog/coyote gun is a 6.8 SPC. My 223/5.56s are reserved for two legged critters. I’m confident in the 6.8 for anything I’ll run into in Texas. High shoulder will bring them down.

Comment

Neck shot for sure. There's all sorts of important stuff in the neck. Arteries,spine and things that make things breathe. Everything needs oxygen and blood to survive.

Depends on how small of a cartridge it was though. If it was small enough I'd just smoke it in the dome.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 12-22-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

In the ***

Comment

You kind of left that too open, I would assume you are trying to say specifically a 5.56/223 AR, but you did not. Just saying you are carrying your AR, could mean many different calibers, even in an AR15, then you also have AR10s, which opens up a whole nother world of calibers.

Assuming you are just talking about a 5.56/223, if I found some 700 to 1000 lb. critter and really wanted to shoot it. I would likely try for a neck shot, if I felt confident I could figure out where the spine was on a broadside shot. On a frontal or rear shot, where I can see the neck, then finding the exact location of the spine is not hard, I would definitely take that shot. Depending on the critter and again, if I felt confident, in knowing where the shoulder intersects the spine. I might take a shot at the spine where the shoulder intersects. Then some animals, some situations, I would not have a problem with a head shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X