Hair on Deer Hide Tanned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair on Deer Hide Tanned

I did a hair on tan one of the bucks I killed back in November. It came out pretty good. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of time. I enjoyed the process. It makes you appreciate what your taxidermist does for you.

I fleshed the hide with my power washer. Salted it for a couple of days. Rinsed the salt off and fleshed any remaining fat or tissue. Pickled the hide with salt and pickling crystals (citric acid) for about 3 days keeping the PH below 2. Neutralized the hide to PH of 7 with baking soda for 30 minutes or so. Let the hide drain overnight and tanned with Curatan tanning solution. Worked the hide to break down the leather fibers....this is a continuous process if you want it to be soft. Oiled the hide with a mixture of Neatsfoot oil warm water and ammonia.

It has turned out nice and soft. I still need to sand the skin side to clean it up and soften it some more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-20-2021, 08:46 AM.

Very cool. Would you do it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
      Very cool. Would you do it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes. Absolutely. I have always hated throwing away hides. I have already got more tanning supplies ordered.

I learned a lot thru this process. My tanned finish product will only get better going forward.

I am retired and have the time to do it. It is very time consuming and you have to move on each step in a timely manner. Especially the initial fleshing and salting.

Comment

I prefer to send mine to a tannery. I’ve done it myself a couple times, but it’s not worth my time when it can be done for $100

Comment

North Texas Tannery will get it done in-house for a very fair price, it just takes awhile to get the hide back.

Tanning services for wholesale,deer hunters rancher and farmers.taxidermist

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great. Congrats on your work.

I did it once using the brain tanning method. Really, really enjoyed the process.

Comment

Should have fixed those holes while you had a chance!

Comment

Nice job and those deer have the thick hair up there. I bet it's pretty soft.
                I'd leave the bullet holes intact as well, shows you made a great shot.

Comment

Looks good Mike! I’ll just let the pros handle my tanning jobs though!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    Should have fixed those holes while you had a chance!
                    Nope. Every trophy has a story. Those holes are the best part of this trophy's story.[emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Nice job and those deer have the thick hair up there. I bet it's pretty soft.
                      I'd leave the bullet holes intact as well, shows you made a great shot.
                      The hair is thick and it's very soft.

These deer have incredibly long tails. The tail is difficult to skin down to the very tip end. I lost a little of this bucks tail while skinning it.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-20-2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        Looks good Mike! I’ll just let the pros handle my tanning jobs though!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        It is an involved process, but very enjoyable. I am doing my own Euros also.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-20-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X