No announcement yet.

Wear your sunscreen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good thread. I try and wear a cap when I expect a lot of exposure, and carry the sunscreen with me to apply as needed.
    And yes, I've sunburned when it was cloudy!

Comment

I would say that this procedure is "no skin off my nose". But....

Comment

Great illustrative reminder!

Comment

Dang Mike. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this. Thanks for the reminder to wear sunscreen even in the winter. I really should start.

Comment

So how did you find the cancer? Is it a black spot or just slightly off color? Tender area?
            I’m light complected so I worry about this all the time.
            Good luck on the recovery!

Comment

42 and had 2 biopsied Monday. Waiting on results. This is a great reminder for Everyone to wear sunscreen and do not think you are immune to it!

Comment

Yep, use your sunscreen. I had a basal cell cancer cut off my nose a few years back that required a skin graft.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                  So how did you find the cancer? Is it a black spot or just slightly off color? Tender area?
                  For me, flaking skin and bleeding. Tiny spot the size of a BB

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                    I don't wear short sleeve shirts outside for the last 8-years. ALWAYS wear a 3" brimmed hat, no ball caps. And, frequently have "neck shade" on the hat. And, frequently have on glove, even in the summer.

May not be too stylish, but cutting off cancers will get your attention.
                    Same here, covered head to toe. Like most of you, I couldn’t be bothered with silly things like sunscreen and hats when I was in my 20s and 30s because “getting old” wasn’t part of my long-term plan. Life has a way of making you humble, though, as nowadays my dance card is filled more with doctors appointments than it is with dances. ((pouting))

Comment

Mine was the size of a dime on my upper left arm that itched and would scab over. Dermatologist saw it, got concerned and the biopsy said basal cell carcinoma. Now when i go outside to get on the zero turn, tracto or work around the olace it is long pants, shirts, floppy hat and gloves. At 68 i do not need any more of the word "cancer" to come from a doctor! We did the burn and scrape and chemical burn for a while. Place looks better but go back in 1 month for a second follow up!

I will continue to go back on a regular basis to have everything checked.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers for you Mike that the diagnostics and surgery remove all the bad cells. Recently had large melanoma removed from my upper arm. Post op and 6 month ct scan show no bad cells.

Thanks for reminding all that we are not bullet proof. Cover up and wear sunscreen as we all love the great outdoors.

Comment

Also, to add, my wife works for a derm in Kingwood. Not all sunscreens are made the same. She brings home sunscreen with mineral blockers. I always thought sunscreen was sunscreen. Hope this helps and op sorry to hijack

Comment

Thanks for the PSA. Skin cancer is nothing to mess around with.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post

Both of mine started with just a bit less than a pinhead sized drop of blood. This one would scab over, heal, go away, then come back and repeat the cycle. Then it just scabbed over and not heal. Only reason it healed this time is the biopsy. And not healing is what got me concerned. In the first pick, you can see the discoloration and the small depression in the skin that is circled.

First one looked like a pimple starting. But wouldn't form ahead. Then it would get a pinhead sized spot of blood after showering. Then looked like a tiny crater about 1/8". I looked it up on the net and found a pic of a lady that had one that looked identical in the very same location. So I went and got a referral to confirm it.

There are a ton of pics on the net about all three types of skin cancers. Basal cell, Squamous cell, and Melanoma.

Comment

Prayers up for you Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X