Fishing Freshwater Lakes with Kayak ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Freshwater Lakes with Kayak ?

I’m testing the waters (no pun intended)
    Considering a kayak to fish freshwater lake. I’m local to Lake Tyler which is not a very large lake & has good access & easy to navigate shoreline & coves. Mainly looking to crappie fish from it. Anyone else fish crappie from a kayak in local lakes?
    How easy to catch & net them & maintain control? What bait or artificial for deeper water? What type stringer & is it easy to handle within kayak?
    For the record, I’ve navigated a kayak recreational wise but never fished from one
    Any other dos & donts, general advice, etc...
    Thanks

Kayaks vary widely. Most of the old style paddling kayaks are very unstable. But there are lots of great kayaks these days that are designed for fishing that are very stable and great to paddle and fish out of. I have a couple of Kaku Wahoo 12.5' kayaks that are awesome for fishing. I also have a Pelican The Catch 100 10' fishing kayak (from Academy) that's really stable as well. Both of these have elevated seats that are comfortable and keep you up out off of the floor of the kayak (do no wet butt).

Whether you use a net is up to you. I don't use live bait, but if you have some type of bait well that would fit in a kayak, I'm sure that would work. Artificial lures are much simpler to carry on a kayak, I'm sure. Dragging a stringer of fish behind a kayak while you're paddling through brush can be a pain. An ice chest to put the fish in might be a better option? I use a nylon rope stringer sometimes. It's doable. You just have to make sure the fish don't get wrapped up in brush, and it creates a little drag even in open water when you're paddling.

Comment

Thanks Shane. All good info
      I like the reviews of the Lifetime Teton Angler 10’. Seems like a decent quality kayak with good stability
      How about bass boaters & do they generally show respect toward people fishing kayaks nearby?

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
        How about bass boaters & do they generally show respect toward people fishing kayaks nearby?
        Depends on who is driving the boat.

Comment

If it's a recreational lake, forget it but I'm not sure if Lake Tyler is considered one. It just doesn't become enjoyable esp during prime time months in the Summer time where boats are out in droves. Fighting waves is never fun.

Comment

Yep. Bass boat fishermen aren't too bad, but wake boarders, innertubers, and jet skis suck if you're trying to paddle and fish out of a kayak nearby.

Comment

Most do but it only takes one to ruin your day so keep your head on a swivel and try to fish areas they don't when you can. Also, ALWAYS wear a PFD and let someone know where your going.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've paddled over 2000 miles. Get the longest kayak you are comfortable with. Easier to paddle and more stable. My current boat is 17'10".

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I fish crappie a lot out of mine, but mostly spring and early summer in creeks or coves. Would not want to be on open water in a big lake in mine it would be a constant battle.

The boats that you paddle with your feet would keep your hands free. Mine uses the old paddle method!

They work great when the crappie are spawning up in creeks and back coves. Here the feet paddle may not work because of the stumps and brush.

Comment

Thanks Shane. All good info
                    I like the reviews of the Lifetime Teton Angler 10’. Seems like a decent quality kayak with good stability

Generally speaking- smaller rigs are less stable and harder to paddle longer distances. A 10’ boat for an adult will have significant limitations- especially fishing.

There are several demo days each year in all the major cities. Go paddle a bunch of yaks- then see what you like. You can also rent kayaks- much better to rent then buy a boat that not suited for your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

look at those Native yaks with pedals....great for forward and reverse pedaling to get in and outta the sticks....they are pretty stable as they're over 30+ inches across...Titans are what they're called I believe

Comment

Op, find a kayak dealer in your neck of the woods doing a demo day.

I have the Ascend 12FS and its ok, until I go out with another kayaker. That is when I find out how slow a yak I bought. I just remind myself I bought it for the stability, which it is.

Comment

We have two of the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10 ft. fishing kayaks that I got from Wal-Mart for about $250 each. We love using them down at Lake Havasu in the Spring when we vacation. They get water up thru the scupper holes, so you will end up with a wet butt, unless you put in a stadium type seat to raise you up a couple inches.

You will find that a short handled net on a bungee works great for landing fish. Get one of the small 2.5-3.0# foldable anchors and about 30 feet of anchor rope to hold you in place while fishing, otherwise you blow and drift all over.

If you're serious about fishing out of it, I would recommend a 9 or 10 foot tube pontoon boat. You can turn and maneuver them real easy with flippers, but you can row them against the wind much easier when you really need to make headway. They will hold more gear, and a small cooler for drinks and lunch.

Comment

Working...
                          X