Type of Paint to use on Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are wanting to re-paint our Krivoman deer feeders to help make sure they last as long as possible. There is nothing wrong with the original paint other than it's faded and there are rust spots around the welds and from the large rocks we put on the feeder lids. What type of paint would you guys recommend we use? Should we lightly sand the feeder before sanding or can we just roll something on top? I appreciate the help!

I use the Rustoleum spray paint on the ones I build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the box of camo Rustoleum paints and use branches, etc. as stencils to spray camo patterns on them.

Comment

You guys hand spray 1,000lb + feeders?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          You guys hand spray 1,000lb + feeders?

Mine aren’t that big.
          Most are 55 gal and I just built two 85 gal. I buy it by the case on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
            Mine aren’t that big.
            Most are 55 gal and I just built two 85 gal. I buy it by the case on Amazon.

This.. And you don't paint the entire thing. Once per year we drive around and paint feeders, fill them, paint the stands, trim limbs etc...all at one time.

Comment

Safely secure your feeder lid when not in use with this spring hook from All Seasons Feeders. Each is made specifically to fit our game feeder models.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                We are wanting to re-paint our Krivoman deer feeders to help make sure they last as long as possible. There is nothing wrong with the original paint other than it's faded and there are rust spots around the welds and from the large rocks we put on the feeder lids. What type of paint would you guys recommend we use? Should we lightly sand the feeder before sanding or can we just roll something on top? I appreciate the help!

I use an exterior UV house paint to paint my fiberglass blinds and roll it on. Not sure how that would work on metal though.

Comment

I use an oil based Rustoleum brush on. Little more involved but I don’t have to repaint until year 6-7. I’d rather do it once and do it right.

Comment

Yes, a wire wheel that gets down to bare metal would be ideal. I use olive drab spray paint, and when it fades, just put on another coat.

Comment

I would use some Ospho Rust Converter or Rust Stop on the rusted areas and let it work before painting.

Comment

I paint mine once with spary on rattle can rustolium when I first build them, and then when the rust starts to show it just gives a nice patina.

Comment

We went to galvanized feeders to get away from doing this

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                            We went to galvanized feeders to get away from doing this

Galvanized feeders rust with time ...and as thin as the metal the integrity is lost quick.

That being said I run a Lamco at one of my spots so I'll stay on top of it like my steel BigHorns.

Last edited by Smart; 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Have the battle is prep, then prime and paint. Nothing wrong with a good rattle can job and this is coming form someone who is working for a metal restoration company and capable of spraying kynar based paint at ($325 a gallon).

Comment

Working...
                              X