Paris Pro-Am Roll Call! Who's going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D C View Post
    My suggestion on the novice subject. Go to every state qualifier and club shoot you can and learn a lot there before you think you can compete at a national level. I've always looked at competing like this, "if you can't beat the local guys, don't go out of town expecting to win."

More classes is not the answer.
    Well I said I wouldn't say anything else in this post, but the above thinks I am whining because I was beat. I have spent enough time in my 43 years getting beat at everything from horseshoes to college football to be able to take getting beat. My issue is how can anyone shoot 40 up, have multiple seconds on the national level in the last 4 years and call themselves a "Novice".

I don't mind getting beat in fair competition, next year I am going to be trounced by the competition in hunter class but at least it won't be by someone who walks around claiming to be a novice but is far from it.

Someone said something about a 2 years and move on rule. Frankly I think this would be an excellent idea and would put more money in the higher classes. Bow Novice shouldn't be about the money, it should be about the experience. IMHO it should be like the eagle classes, trophy only.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      It is a local shoot for me. I've only shoot 3 in my life and two are the ASA. I don't go in expecting to win. If I have to shoot 30-40 up, I won't, and based on the scores I'm guessing close to 80% shouldn't be expecting to either. It's just for fun. Most of the novice are just that, but having a 30 yard or less known/unknown distance would be a blast for us. No plans on winning that one either. I think more people(especially locals) would shoot, but the 40 yard unknown is a BIG jump from 30 yard known. If you are shooting novice for the payout, outside of top 3(approx$200), there isn't much $. If you are traveling to win $200, your still loosing $, so you better be having fun.

I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!! I am fine if it stays the way it is. Just a thought.

Did they renew the contract for Paris?
      I think Bow Novice in its current format has worked pretty well especially at the state level. If you look at this years scores on the Texas ASA website you will see what I mean.

They have not renewed the contract but there is still two years (2015 and 2016) remaining on the current contract. Mike Tyrell is very happy with Paris and with a record turnout (1203 shooters) this year I am hopeful ASA will renew the contract when the time comes. We are working some ideas with the City of Paris and the Chamber of Commerce to make the event even more special for 2015.
      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-01-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
        I think Bow Novice in its current format has worked pretty well especially at the state level. If you look at this years scores on the Texas ASA website you will see what I mean.

They have not renewed the contract but there is still two years (2015 and 2016) remaining on the current contract. Mike Tyrell is very happy with Paris and with a record turnout (1203 shooters) this year I am hopeful ASA will renew the contract when the time comes. We are working some ideas with the City of Paris and the Chamber of Commerce to make the event even more special for 2015.
        Totally agree at state level.

I was thinking this was the last year, glad we have it for at least 2 more. Really good event for local businesses.

Comment

From my experience this year, only 2 state level tournaments, on a State Level Bow Novice has been great.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            Totally agree at state level.

I was thinking this was the last year, glad we have it for at least 2 more. Really good event for local businesses.
            This was the 8th year of a 10 year contract.

This has really got the city leaders excited........

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Mike,
              the Lamar County Chamber of Commerce Email said 1284 Archers that was posted today

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway View Post
                Mike,
                the Lamar County Chamber of Commerce Email said 1284 Archers that was posted today
                Official score cards turned in 1204. This was from the ASA office and this is what is considered official attendance by ASA. I wish it was 1284. Maybe next year.

Comment

Looking forward to what is in store for 2015! Keep up the great work.

Comment

Mike - I think they should plant some fast growing wind breaks for the shoot down area.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      Mike - I think they should plant some fast growing wind breaks for the shoot down area.
                      That would be nice or an inside arena.

Comment

That would be nice or an inside arena.
                        Could there not have been some room made inside the civic center?

Kelvin

Comment

Yeah - like right up the road at the high school!

Comment

Working...
                          X