Complaint/semi-rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complaint/semi-rant

What I am about to type may rub some the wrong way, but I am old school and this really bothers me. Some of you that manage leases and have to fill spots on occasion may have this same problem. When I post a lease opening, whether it is just on this site or several, I try real hard to keep track of the order in which I am contacted, down to the minute of the day, so that I can be fair to all. This can be difficult but I do it in order that if the first in line decides to pass I will know who is next in line. If the first in line comes out and I show the lease to them, I am now waiting for them to say yes or no. Many times they will say I have to talk to the wife about it (which I have learned over the years for many is code for I am really not interested but don't want to tell you to your face). I realize that if you have hunted other parts of the state, east Texas can be a lot different than what you are used to and may need to think it over a little. I have told almost everyone that I show it to that if it isn't what you are looking for then no is not the end of the world. Your decision isn't just between you and me...there are others in line waiting for me to say they are next. So if it doesn't suit you tell me because there is someone else that it will. The spot I had open that just filled I showed to three different ones before it was filled- the first said he liked the spot but would let me know within two days- that was two weeks ago and still haven't heard from him. The second looked it over, after having said he would probably take it, and said he would talk it over with his wife and get back with me. Now he had to travel a little over 30 minutes to talk it over with his wife. After two days I texted him to find out his decision and got a no. What was cool about the TBHer that filled the spot is it was one of the guys who came out last summer when I offered up pig hunts so he had been out there already. I guess the bottom line is if you go check out a lease and your gut says it isn't for you, be up front and go ahead and say that. Most times we are under a time crunch to have the money to pay the lease fee on time so we need to get this done. Not fulfilling your obligation to give the lease manager an answer not only prevents him from getting the spot filled in time to not have dip into his own pocket when the lease payment is due but also prevents someone who really wants it from having more time to get it set up for him. Thanks for listening.

That's not a rant or complaint. That's just good advice and an honest point of view. I've been there and it can be personally expensive when you have to pay for an extra spot or two.
    Good post.

Gary

Comment

I agree on having the intestinal fortitude to look somebody in the face or at least call them soon after and tell the person showing it to you, it's a no or yes. In the past I have had cash or check in hand ready to move if I like the place. If I leave without giving you money it will be a no and I'd tell you.

On the flipside as a lease boss in charge of filling spots, I don't wait it out long like you did unless I really like the person. Our place isn't first come first serve. It is 100% about the best fit for our guys and filling the spot. If I have a guy, three people in, with money in hand and I or the group really likes him and/or knows him, the first two folks that him-hawed and drug their feet get jumped. I'm all about fair but with as much money as we pour into these things and the nice peaceful fun getaway we expect, best fit works much better than first come first serve for us. Of course I post that in my ad if we have to run one so everybody knows. We are at 5 years with no current turnover (knocks on wood) so it serves us well.
      Last edited by Smart; 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

This has actually been a good year for me. One lease had no turnover and have a really good group of guys. The lease with the opening actually had two openings- one member that had paid for two spots last year decided to keep just one but we had someone waiting for a spot. The second spot that opened, the member getting off apologized for letting me know so late but it did put me in a tight spot. The TBHer that took the opening had been out to pig hunt and if I didn't think he would fit in he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity and I would probably still be looking. I am now looking forward to getting ready for another season.

Comment

For those that have to ask your wife. Do it before you go look at a lease. Ask her for a check so you can give it to the lease manager if it suits your needs.

Comment

Yeah I’ve never understood what the issue in simply saying “sorry this isn’t for me.” It’s not a personal attack, it’s just how you feel about it.
            The other side is it should be just as much you checking them out as well, not just first come first serve.

Comment

No rant there. Unfortunitely the truth. When I ran leases I hated dealing with EXACTLY what you are talking about. Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. I feel for ya.

Comment

The lease I got on, my wife went and looked at it while I was on a fly fishing trip (never told me or ask) payed for the lease and told me when I got back. I am glad she did.

Comment

You mean you didn’t ask your wife before you went and looked at the place? More then likely if someone likes the place they are going to pay you right then and there .

Comment

Everything you say is true, and also fits the classifieds. Whether you are buying or selling, you should have enough respect to not leave people hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                      The lease I got on, my wife went and looked at it while I was on a fly fishing trip (never told me or ask) payed for the lease and told me when I got back. I am glad she did.
                      Nice!

Comment

On the flip side, as a lease boss, be sure you are up front & honest about what kind of land/amenities you REALLY have & answer questions honestly.

We just looked at a place last week where this was exactly the case. Guy said the place had "some pasture areas" - turned out "some" equates to 90% pasture to him.

I've seen where "some" varies in people's point of view. Like "some" sheep/goats/cattle is not 100+ head on 200 acres.

And communication is a two way street.

Those complaining about not getting a return call from a guy not interested, did you also call everyone who applied to let them know when the lease was filled?
                        I've know some who were polite enough to call & let us know when the lease was filled, but most you'll never hear from again once it's filled.

IMO consideration should be a two way street, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
                          On the flip side, as a lease boss, be sure you are up front & honest about what kind of land/amenities you REALLY have & answer questions honestly.

We just looked at a place last week where this was exactly the case. Guy said the place had "some pasture areas" - turned out "some" equates to 90% pasture to him.

I've seen where "some" varies in people's point of view. Like "some" sheep/goats/cattle is not 100+ head on 200 acres.

And communication is a two way street.

Those complaining about not getting a return call from a guy not interested, did you also call everyone who applied to let them know when the lease was filled?
                          I've know some who were polite enough to call & let us know when the lease was filled, but most you'll never hear from again once it's filled.

IMO consideration should be a two way street, but that's just me.
                          I agree with you 100% Crazy! It is a 2 way street.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                            You mean you didn’t ask your wife before you went and looked at the place? More then likely if someone likes the place they are going to pay you right then and there .
                            I get this same thing when trying to sell hunts. People e-mail, text, and then call with a thousand questions. Claim is sounds perfect but they need to get the wife to approve.

I think a lot of guys like the idea of getting away to hunt but when the day comes they are too lazy to pack up and actually go hunt. I tried not taking deposits the first year and it seemed like 75% never showed up. I'd have to call and ask most where they were.... I've learned that most people who want to hunt ask me how much to send before I even bring up a deposit. If I have to ask for one I don't even look for it anymore unless they tell me they sent it.

Comment

Glad we don't have those types of problems. Knock on wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X