upright freezer brands...pros & cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upright freezer brands...pros & cons

after 20 years, my Kenmore upright freezer seems to be huffing & puffing to keep 17 degrees.

Seems to run constantly, & I think it is fixing to give up the ghost. I have a lot of venison in there I don't want to loose.

I didn't see any recent posts on freezers.

What are current brands to stay away from and what seems to be decent ? looking to get about 20 cu ft. or more. I want to be ready to grab something if mine goes ka-put.

Was hoping it would last till we moved and built our retirement home, but not looking that way.

thanx,

I just upgraded to an upright from a chest freezer. 20 cu ft hisense from Lowes. The reviews were good. I've had it about a month, and it seems to run fine in my garage. I would suggest checking inventory wherever you plan on buying it from because I had to wait a while to get mine. Might want to buy a new one before your old one quits.

Comment

I've got a 20 cu ft Frigidaire. Was in the garage for a year and inside for 2 years now. It works.

Comment

Yep, will be looking to see what the local stores have in stock, and what their lead time is.

who makes Hisense? I think there is one company that makes them for a lot of folks.

Comment

We have an OLD (35+ years old) Kenmore that still works like a champ. I just replaced the door seal this past weekend (which was a major PITA). When it comes to appliances, we always stick with the classic brands, and simpler models at that. GE, Kenmore, and Whirlpool. They seem to last the longest with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
            I've got a 20 cu ft Frigidaire. Was in the garage for a year and inside for 2 years now. It works.
            Same here. My Frigidaire is over 12 years old and has even survived storm waters. I had water marks a foot or so up the door. Not sure how it survived. But, it is still working great in my garage.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Have a Whirlpool upright and an Insignia chest. Both work great.

Whatever you do, get the biggest one you can afford.

Comment

In our experience with newer appliances, if you can fix what you have, it'll likely continue to be a better unit. I wish I had fixed my older freezer instead of getting a new one. We're on our third fridgidaire refrigerator in 3 years, all replaced under warranty which was a royal PITA. The new stuff is trash compared to the older units. Depending on what's wrong with it, I'd strongly consider fixing what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Laketex View Post
                    In our experience with newer appliances, if you can fix what you have, it'll likely continue to be a better unit. I wish I had fixed my older freezer instead of getting a new one. We're on our third fridgidaire refrigerator in 3 years, all replaced under warranty which was a royal PITA. The new stuff is trash compared to the older units. Depending on what's wrong with it, I'd strongly consider fixing what you have.
                    I also agree with this statement. The phrase, "They just don't make them like they used to", really applies to appliances...

Comment

If we ever get a new freezer, it will be an upright. We have 2 chest freezers in the garage, one for fish and one for venison and the 1/4 side of beef we got from Clarabelle. I almost have to climb in both to find what I am looking for. It would be much easier with an upright. (I almost wish mine would break...LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Laketex View Post
                        yeah...that what I am afraid of is the new ones crapping out on me.

Mine just seems to run all the time and the compressor was real hot. Guess I could check around to see if it is worth it to fix. or... fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          yeah...that what I am afraid of is the new ones crapping out on me.

Mine just seems to run all the time and the compressor was real hot. Guess I could check around to see if it is worth it to fix. or... fixable.

Since you know it’s right around the corner, You can get a freezer alarm that connects to WiFi or has an audible outside your freezer…

I’ve lost too many lbs of meat to not have one on every freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

no matter what brand, if you are keeping it in the garage make sure it is one that is made for that... i had no idea until i did a little research...

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                              no matter what brand, if you are keeping it in the garage make sure it is one that is made for that... i had no idea until i did a little research...
                              I didn’t know that either thanks for the heads up.

I have always had upright freezers and always kinda wanted a chest freezer. After having a door or two left open and losing everything a chest freezer seems like a better choice. But it does appear that most people that own a chest freezer wish they had an upright.

Anyone like the chest freezer better? Is the door not coming open the only advantage?

Comment

Working...
                              X