Rare footage- turkey hen struts for Tom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare footage- turkey hen struts for Tom

I was down to my last turkey tag and hunting a big bird in an area that is hard to get a read on the birds. I was actually heading back to the lodge to get ready to leave for Mother's Day when I saw a couple of birds 150 yards in front of me. They slipped into the brush and I killed the truck. A few hen yelps later and this hen starts working my way. I had her within 30 yards of my truck for approximately 10 minutes. She'd chirp, I'd chirp. She start to leave and I'd lure her back. Finally, she began strutting and drumming! I have never seen a hen do this. After 5 minutes of this, the big Tom finally emerged from the brush. He was smart. He didn't want to leave the brush line and was strutting in the thick stuff most of the time but I finally got him to creep out. He was probably the bird I was hunting but I ended up letting him go as I didn't want to shoot him from the truck. I'm an idiot !!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkyYwkqFzGU"]Hen Dance- Rio Grande turkey hen struts for Tom - YouTube[/ame]

That was wild, thanks for sharing

Comment

That's crazy, thanks for posting

Comment

Very cool footage. Both birds' fans are in great shape too. Should have shot!

I caught some on video when I had a group of hens come in to dominate my hen decoys a few years ago.... and the Tom followed shortly after. First time /I had seen the hen strutting as well. Had it happen this year as well without the Tom.. They beat the heck out of my DSD hens both times. Not gonna link the video as this is your post..

Comment

Was it really a hen? Or was he identifying as a hen?

Comment

Little to much Foreplay for me.....Cool video.

Comment

Some just have sexual identity issues. It's pretty common these days.

That's a heck of a Tom though!

Comment

Cool video. Must be transitioning.

Comment

Why does my iPhone not show any video or pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Because no one still uses those flip phones anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Shots fired. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        I'm not sure why. I posted using my laptop. I also did not see the video link when I accessed yesterday with my Iphone 6

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

LMAO....the FL-Iphone

Comment

Doesn’t show on my IPad either Randy. I’m thinking Apple discrimination ! Is this a case for a class action lawsuit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Some just have sexual identity issues. It's pretty common these days.

That's a heck of a Tom though!
                              With birds and reptiles, sex is determined more by hormones than genetics. The embryos have the ability to be male or female, unlike most mammals. I suspect that's how you get this type of behavior from a hen and how you get bearded hens. Every time a gobbler won't respond to my calls, I assume he's got too much female in him.

Comment

Working...
                              X