• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took me about a year.

Comment

Take a crossbow.

Comment

Everyone saying it takes a year is sure disappointing to hear. I’m 3 months out of surgery and sure hope it doesn’t take me 9 more to recover. My dominant arm was done. It’s a slow process for me at 51 years old.

Comment

Every person is different. I was about 3-4 months to be normal but not 100%. Walk and keep blood moving in body. Do you PT. Eat right and sleep

Comment

At age 42 I had my right shoulder done to repair and old rotator cuff and cartilage tear as well as bone spurs removed. I was completely released to resume all activities at 3.5 months. Could I have beed bow ready to go elk hunting 2 weeks later, doubtful. But I can tell you my shoulders and upper back haven’t ever been stronger that they were then.

Shredded my left shoulder just short of my 50th Bday. It was basically McGuyvered back together with 5 anchors. It took 6 months for full release with that one and it took many months to get my strength back. I Had severe muscle atrophy in my upper body that go round. I basically sat on a couch with my arm in a sling for 6 weeks before PT was started. Worst 6 weeks of my life.

So two very different experiences for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would schedule the surgery the week after the hunt unless I was in so much pain that it had to be now.

Comment

Feel for you, I had a shoulder "clean up" 60 days ago which isn't anything close to a rotator cuff. I'm no where close to being able to pull a bow back at this point. Going into the surgery they thought it was a rotator or labrum and I was looking at 6wks in a sling before starting PT and 6 months of recovery.

If you absolutely have to get surgery, a crossbow may be your solution to keep the hunt.

Comment

Gonna be hard at 17 weeks, but it can be done. Or put it off until after deer season. Both of mine are messed up and I still workout very heavy 6 days a week. Hurts like hell but I don't want to have surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                    Have you already had the surgery?
                    yes yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                      Yes, but Do Not Miss a PT.

Won't be the easiest, but why would you miss it when you have 4 months to pull it together. It's not your legs afterall.

I had ACL-Patella graph in a June month. I was about 35 yrs then. Hiked and hunted the Rockies that October. Same routes and tough paths. Didn't own a atv or horse then.

Was hard, but actually helped recovery just as my Dr said it would.

Do Not Miss PT.
                      thanks for the encouragement, i wont miss PT

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        How old are you if you don’t mind me asking? It makes a big difference. How many anchors were used to fix your problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        im 59, he was able to sew the tendon back on

Comment

I've had 4 (2 on each shoulder) and I'd so no but it may depend on what they had to do.

Comment

First, how old are you? At 59, you don't recover as quickly as a 35 year old.
                            Second, how major is the surgery? That also affects recovery time.
                            Third, learn how to shoot alternatively just in case. Remi Warren is using his mouth because he had major wrist surgery. Maybe you could do this for a season.

This all ignores the fact that you will need to be comfortable with you shot. Me personally, if I was unable to shoot my bow for 12 weeks, and only had 5 weeks to train after that, I know I probably won't be at a draw weight sufficient for elk. So I would figure out a way to draw a bow not using the arm. But that is just me.

I hope recovery is quick! Surgery sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              First, how old are you? At 59, you don't recover as quickly as a 35 year old.
                              Second, how major is the surgery? That also affects recovery time.
                              Third, learn how to shoot alternatively just in case. Remi Warren is using his mouth because he had major wrist surgery. Maybe you could do this for a season.

This all ignores the fact that you will need to be comfortable with you shot. Me personally, if I was unable to shoot my bow for 12 weeks, and only had 5 weeks to train after that, I know I probably won't be at a draw weight sufficient for elk. So I would figure out a way to draw a bow not using the arm. But that is just me.

I hope recovery is quick! Surgery sucks.
                              surgery wasnt that bad only last 45 min. i think i can shoot 60lbs in sept. and im hard headed enogh to make it happen. thanks for all the info. typing left handed sucks

Comment

I couldn’t but maybe you can. I’ve had three rotator cuff surgeries and I’m ten months since my last one. I’ve never been 100% since my first one. I’m just now starting to pull my recurve. I can’t get to full draw with the first pull but after about five warmups I can make it but can’t hold it very long. I sold my compound because I just couldn’t get over the hump, even at 56 pounds. I’ve got a crossbow now.

Comment

Working...
                                X