1/4 Acre Mini Homestead Ongoing Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! let me know how those trees work.

and i'll believe the rabbit stew when i see it! good luck convincing the kids to go along with it!

Comment

Bent up some hay racks out of scrap wire and got them on there. I was concerned that they wouldn’t be able to eat it through the 1x1 wire but it turned out to be zero issue. Gives them something to do I guess.

The oldest loves the rabbits, actually all 3 of them do. And agreed, it’ll be tough to eat them. These 3 will likely never get the knife. Trying to get them to understand that the kits will be food will be a daunting task but I also think it’s a good life lesson. God put creatures on this earth for our food, will probably spend some extra time in Genesis before those kill days.

Comment

Mary wants to know what y'all named the rabbit that your daughter is holding?

Great job on the cages!

Comment

1/4 Acre Mini Homestead Ongoing Build

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Mary wants to know what y'all named the rabbit that your daughter is holding?

Great job on the cages!

That is Rosie. Pinky is the other female. Patches for the male. The kids each got to name one within reason.

Comment

Built garden bed extensions this weekend. Not a whole lot of space but 24 sq feet. Wife intends to plant flowers in them for pollinators.

Comment

Cool build. I’ve researched rabbits in the past but have been worried about how hard they are to keep in the summer heat. I’ve also heard they will get sores on their paws if they stay on that wire mesh all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                Cool build. I’ve researched rabbits in the past but have been worried about how hard they are to keep in the summer heat. I’ve also heard they will get sores on their paws if they stay on that wire mesh all the time.
                The rabbits that Laketex got from me are heat tolerant TAMUKs (texas A&m kingsville). Bred for several decades to emphasize thinner coats and bigger ears for better heat tolerance.

No issues with the wire. You can put down these for them to rest on:

Comment

Working...
                X