Need arrow help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need arrow help

My wife’s father passed away two July’s ago and we finally were able to get his bow. I have never shot a longbow and this one doesn’t have his arrows with it. It is an absolute honor to have this bow as it’s the only part of him I know. I met his daughter after his passing so I want to get to know the man who loved shooting maybe even more than me.

It is 53# and 29” draw. He built his own strings- apparently was decently close to qualifying for the Olympics back in the day- so I am just needing to know where to start and then everything else since he isn’t here to mess with the ole son in law.

Help me honor his memory-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what's your draw length, and are you planning to use a dacron string or fast flight type string?
    Last edited by mparker762; 07-20-2019, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Great questions... my draw length with my compound is 27 1/8” and I have no idea what kind of string he made

Comment

That's a great honor! Your draw length will be different with the longbow than your compound. I would contact someone who makes strings and talk to them. I have used Champion bow strings and Chad has been awesome and very helpful. He will make sure you have the right bow string just contact him. Good luck!

Comment

Also beware, once you start shooting a stickbow you may never go back

Comment

Unfortunately your longbow draw length will be different from your compound anchor, and since you don't have an anchor point much less a known draw length I'm not sure we can give you very reliable advice about arrows. I'd probably go with 29" cedars, about 50# spine, and you can adjust the spine from there by changing point weight. wooden arrows tend to be pretty forgiving of spine, much more so than carbon imo, they will shoot well over about 3 spine groups range and adjusting point weight tends to have a more predictable effect on spine.

Comment

Handsome bow Bear. That should be a really good forgiving bow to learn on, shoot on and kill with. What an awesome way to experience the heritage of your FILs love of the art of archery.

You might consider putting some string silencers on that bow string. Thats all Ive got.

Good luck on your trad endeavor Bear.

Comment

If you're wanting to start with carbon arrows I'd start with .500 spine. Change point weight as needed.

Comment

Take a yard stick and hold it to your chest facing out from you. Hold your arms out with fingers on either side out stretched. Have some one look at the " number where your finger tips reach. That will give you a very good idea of your draw length.

Comment

Working...
                  X