Best vegetables for east Texas/ southeast Texas garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best vegetables for east Texas/ southeast Texas garden

Gentlemen I am planning on Starting a big raised bed garden operation this fall... what have y’all had success with in this part of the world? Looking for any recommendations on varietals from tomatoes to root veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most all of it should work during a good yr. All the rain and clouds, made it hell for alot of stuff this yr. Never can fully prepare for what Mother Nature might dish out.
    A lot depends on how much sun your beds will get. A lot will depend on your soil type and how green your thumb is.
    Pick what you like and give it a whirl. As things pop up, you'll start to learn about each plant, types of pest, diseases, etc..and you will get better and better.
    Growing stuff just because it might do good, would get old imo.
    Grow what you love and learn how to make it work.

Comment

El Gato is into that big time. What works for him in La. should work for ETexas.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
        Gentlemen I am planning on Starting a big raised bed garden operation this fall... what have y’all had success with in this part of the world? Looking for any recommendations on varietals from tomatoes to root veggies.

Good luck to ya...…
        Suggestion---- Do not use R.R. ties for your raised bed...….
        They are choc full of toxic chemicals, which will leach into your soil....
        My recommendation, is to use concrete blocks...….
        Hope this helps...……..

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Most all of it should work during a good yr. All the rain and clouds, made it hell for alot of stuff this yr. Never can fully prepare for what Mother Nature might dish out.
          A lot depends on how much sun your beds will get. A lot will depend on your soil type and how green your thumb is.
          Pick what you like and give it a whirl. As things pop up, you'll start to learn about each plant, types of pest, diseases, etc..and you will get better and better.
          Growing stuff just because it might do good, would get old imo.
          Grow what you love and learn how to make it work.

Feel like this is some good advice here, I came from the cornucopia of Virginia where produce was an after thought. My beds will be in the afternoon shade. Willing to do what it takes to have a successful root harvest, spring/summer harvest. Fruit trees are something I’ve never done but would like too

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
            Good luck to ya...…

Suggestion---- Do not use R.R. ties for your raised bed...….

They are choc full of toxic chemicals, which will leach into your soil....

My recommendation, is to use concrete blocks...….

Hope this helps...……..

Thanks sailor, I’ll definitely keep that in mind

Comment

Pretty happy with my blackberry bushes so far...

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                Pretty happy with my blackberry bushes so far...
                We have them all over our lease

Comment

I grew up in Southeast Tx. We lived on 7 acres and had a 3 acre garden. We grew Squash, Collard greens, mustard greens, okra, watermelon, Peas, Turnips, and tomatoes. We had pear trees, figs, muscadines, and blackberry bushes

Comment

and cucumbers and more

Comment

Yard long green beans from burpee, eggplant and okra love the heat, you can plant them right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X