Calling those that do bee keeping for ag exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toledo View Post
    Can you tell us more about this? I thought the production of honey for human consumption was what made bees a possibility for exemption?

Also do they qualify under Ag or Wildlife exemption?
    yes, but appraisal district told me you don't necessarily have to sell it, if that's what your asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
      There absolutely is a demand for this.

Contact your local beekeeping club, and ask around. Chances are, you might have several interested, and you can interview for the person ya feel most comfortable with.
      x3 yes, there are usually people out there that are looking for land to put hive(s). You could get free honey and qualify for your ag exemption. Check with local beekeepers, feed stores in the area, Craigslist, or Facebook(social media).

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
        There absolutely is a demand for this.

Contact your local beekeeping club, and ask around. Chances are, you might have several interested, and you can interview for the person ya feel most comfortable with.
        Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        x3 yes, there are usually people out there that are looking for land to put hive(s). You could get free honey and qualify for your ag exemption. Check with local beekeepers, feed stores in the area, Craigslist, or Facebook(social media).
        Sounds good, thanks. I've emailed Collin and Hopkins County association presidents to see what they say and got a list from the extension office.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
          Wonder if that means 5 acres regardless of what county says, our county 10 acres is minimum for ag
          There is no minimum acreage in any county unless the property has been reduced in size from the previous year.

Comment

Ag and wildlife is the same thing. Wildlife management is a qualifying use for Ag.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
              Ag and wildlife is the same thing. Wildlife management is a qualifying use for Ag.

You must have ag exemption before you can apply for wildlife exemption.

Comment

Just bought my first hive this week. I have always had an interest in Apiary, my son was the first to jump into it. The money to be made in different areas of beekeeping is interesting. Honey sales is the obvious. Removing swarms and Ag field pollination is another.
                So much to learn about a very small creature that confounds the wisest of men. Will probably get me a swarm in a few weeks.
                Good info, keep it up.

Comment

Can you tell us more about this? I thought the production of honey for human consumption was what made bees a possibility for exemption?

I think Honey production is the least of the reasons for the Ag exemption. The most important one is pollination of Ag fields.

One question for the Ag exemption. Can you combine hives with other hive owners to qualify for an Ag exemption?
                  Last edited by lovemylegacy; 07-11-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

We just jumped into bees recently too. Refiled our Homestead to separate out 1 acre for home and 6 acres for our Ag Exemption. As others have stated it is a 5 year process and we have been informed by the county that we will need 6 hives. We got our first 2 hives from DreamWorks Bees in Wimberley. Great people and very helpful. They recommended a guy named Cody to actually deliver the hives and give us our first hands on class. Cody was great and got us literally hands on with handling frames and finding the queen right away.
                    We are documenting everything. Linda is good at scrapbooking and she will do a great job at documenting everything we are doing to satisfy the county on our Ag Exemption. Clear some cedar, plant some fruit trees, broadcast wildflower seeds, etc. Show continuous work over the 5 years and save all receipts as evidence.

Comment

Can beekeeping be a tax right without the Ag exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        One question for the Ag exemption. Can you combine hives with other hive owners to qualify for an Ag exemption?
                        I don't see why that would be a problem. Have a few hives of your own, and have another beekeeper on the other side of the property. Couldn't hurt.

Also, if you have more than a few hives, I would strongly recommend numbering them (or painting them different than the others), and keeping a little notebook and write down what you see when you inspect or check on them. It can get a little overwhelming trying to remember if hive #4 had a good brood pattern, when you put the last honey super on, or if you saw your queen.

Also, its pretty relaxing to me to sit there and watch them take off and land, with a cold drink in my hand.

Comment

Good info

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            I think Honey production is the least of the reasons for the Ag exemption. The most important one is pollination of Ag fields.

Most county’s will require you to make honey for the exemption to apply , you must make a profit , not ever year but you can’t lose money ever year . They don’t care who’s bees they are ,it’s easier for you to have a commercial beekeeper to have the bees there and yes they are always looking for good places to put bees,

Comment

Originally posted by Beeman View Post
                              Most county’s will require you to make honey for the exemption to apply , you must make a profit , not ever year but you can’t lose money ever year . They don’t care who’s bees they are ,it’s easier for you to have a commercial beekeeper to have the bees there and yes they are always looking for good places to put bees,

Where do you get your information? You can raise bees for pollination purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                                Where do you get your information? You can raise bees for pollination purposes only.
                                Yes you can ,but you also must have a crop there that needs to be pollinated, honey production is the easiest for the exemptions ,

Comment

Working...
                                X