Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/lakemeredith/
    Looks like they are about to open up Blue West boat Ramp!

Lake Meredith Water Level including historical chart

The lake usually trends upward late summer / fall. The water release from Ute should keep it rising. I read an article that stated the spill way at Ute has so much volume that a lot of the water coming off the spillway flooded outside of the river channel. They were going to waiting until that settled down then open the gates slightly to capture as much water as possible inside of the river channel. It take 4 days to reach Lake Meredith from Ute, about 106 miles or so.
    That's crazy. I lived in Amarillo in 2014, remember riding my motorcycle up there and the only launch open was on Sanford Yake Road.

Comment

Congrats on filling that mule tag at meredith, respect for you, that is tough! is that at evans canyon? Will be out there this weekend.

Comment

We had a great trip. We saw a ton of does and fawns and a couple of spikes. The bigger bucks were a mystery on this trip during the daylight. We spotted a group crossing the tops early in the morning from about 500 yards away and got the spotting scope out and verified there was a spike in the group so we followed them until getting busted by a close by mulie so we slowed down which caused us to loose the group with the spike, however we did have a good idea of where they were headed. We made our way and started glassing those canyons. From about 8am to 2:30 we didn't see much at all until my buddy spotted an ear in a bush at 300 yards... Upon closer inspection this was our spike! We watched for a lil while to see where the others were but they were just too buried up to spot. They were getting up and feeding in short periods and rebedding so we decided we needed to make a move on them. I stalked down to 60 yards from hand signals from my spotter. I could not see them but he put me in the perfect spot as we kept constant contact with one another. I sat down and waited them out for about an hour or so and he finally signaled they got up and I immediately spotted them slowly feeding towards me. I got my range finder on him at 42 yards, he slowly quartered towards me, I drew, picked a spot and settled my 40 yard pin and squeezed the trigger... As soon as it hit him I knew he was mine. I looked back and Justin yelled "YOU GOT HIM!!" He ran maybe 75 yards and crashed hard. It was just amazing. All the MILES of canyons we hiked over the years had finally paid off with a public land mule deer we got together. I couldn't have done it without him as this was a total team effort.

Comment

It wasn't Evans

Comment

Sounds fun, thanks for the story Briggs!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Dude Briggs, Props on a Mulie Kill at Meredith with a bow. That doesn't happen often.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
                  Dude Briggs, Props on a Mulie Kill at Meredith with a bow. That doesn't happen often.
                  Thanks

Comment

Hiked in from Plum Creek ramp today, made it to the 3rd canyon before turning back. Did not see much. Don't know how you guys can make it to Evans hiking in!

Comment

It ain't easy that's for sure

Comment

Congrats on the bow kill. I got a nice one with a gun but haven't scored with a bow yet. I didn't go this year due to shoulder surgery. Has the water made it to Evans yet, as far as actually coming in the canyon?

Comment

Honestly, next year I plan on just hiking and staying out in Evans for the few days. It would be better than hiking in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by jvela23 View Post
                            Honestly, next year I plan on just hiking and staying out in Evans for the few days. It would be better than hiking in and out.
                            Yessir, that would be the way to get it done!

Comment

How is the cell phone coverage out there?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X