Texas newspaper plans to publish names, addresses of police officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
    But he was probably a really fun loving guy with a huge heart that just happened to be a POS criminal with felony warrants.

SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Observer said Sunday it has no plans to publish the names and addresses of every police officer in the city. The clarification followed an announcement a day earlier that drew criticism from across the country.Stephanie Zarri

Apparently not.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      The only reason she can threaten to do this and live is because police aren't the tyrannical murderers she says they are.

It's kinda a self contradicting published opinion.

She would disappear in most countries if she tried this.
      Quoted for truth. Excellent point.

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
      My question to a lawyer would be, if an officer or a family member were to be targeted at their home due to this publication, would the paper be liable and held as an accessory to murder or attempted murder?
      I'm not an attorney, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor do I play an attorney on tv but..... While I totally disagree with this liberal goofball editor and her tactics, I could see no grounds for the paper being liable unless the police officer was in some sort of a protection program where his home address was secret. With the power of Google and a few minutes (or less) I can find pretty much anyone's home address, especially if they own the home. So again, while I think it's a terrible idea, unless the officer is living in a cave and hasn't let anyone else know his address, I don't see how the paper could be held criminally liable.

Civil liability is a whole other ball of wax. You can sue people (and win) for all kinds of ridiculous things. An officer might win a civil case if something like you mentioned happened, but I don't see anything coming of it criminally.

Comment

I thought the last legislative session passed a law against this. I can't find it now of course but I may be confusing this with something else

Comment

Note section a-1

Sec. 36.06. OBSTRUCTION OR RETALIATION. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly harms or threatens to harm another by an unlawful act:
          (1) in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of another as a:
          (A) public servant, witness, prospective witness, or informant; or
          (B) person who has reported or who the actor knows intends to report the occurrence of a crime; or
          (2) to prevent or delay the service of another as a:
          (A) public servant, witness, prospective witness, or informant; or
          (B) person who has reported or who the actor knows intends to report the occurrence of a crime.
          (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person posts on a publicly accessible website the residence address or telephone number of an individual the actor knows is a public servant or a member of a public servant's family or household with the intent to cause harm or a threat of harm to the individual or a member of the individual's family or household in retaliation for or on account of the service or status of the individual as a public servant.
          (b) In this section:
          (1) "Honorably retired peace officer" means a peace officer who:
          (A) did not retire in lieu of any disciplinary action;
          (B) was eligible to retire from a law enforcement agency or was ineligible to retire only as a result of an injury received in the course of the officer's employment with the agency; and
          (C) is entitled to receive a pension or annuity for service as a law enforcement officer or is not entitled to receive a pension or annuity only because the law enforcement agency that employed the officer does not offer a pension or annuity to its employees.
          (2) "Informant" means a person who has communicated information to the government in connection with any governmental function.
          (3) "Public servant" has the meaning assigned by Section 1.07, except that the term also includes an honorably retired peace officer.
          (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree, except that the offense is a felony of the second degree if:
          (1) the victim of the offense was harmed or threatened because of the victim's service or status as a juror; or
          (2) the actor's conduct is described by Subsection (a-1) and results in the bodily injury of a public servant or a member of a public servant's family or household.
          (d) For purposes of Subsection (a-1), it is prima facie evidence of the intent to cause harm or a threat of harm to an individual the person knows is a public servant or a member of a public servant's family or household if the actor:
          (1) receives a written demand from the individual to not disclose the address or telephone number for reasons of safety; and
          (2) either:
          (A) fails to remove the address or telephone number from the publicly accessible website within a period of 48 hours after receiving the demand; or
          (B) reposts the address or telephone number on the same or a different publicly accessible website, or makes the information publicly available through another medium, within a period of four years after receiving the demand, regardless of whether the individual is no longer a public servant.

Comment

Most crooks dont read the paper. Don't agree but doubt there were be much reverb from this.

With that said my dad is retired LEO. We live on a pvt road 500 yards off the main road on abt 20 acres. It was not a through street. Anytime a stranger drove down our road my father had a heighten sense caution. Guess you never know what crazy crook might be out for revenge.

Comment

Childish behavior.

Comment

I don't see a problem with it, it should be a matter of public record. What do they have to hide?

This isn't to say that I agree at all with the newspaper folks views on justified vs unjustified shootings. I'm sure my opinion and theirs are completely different in just about every incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                  I don't see a problem with it, it should be a matter of public record. What do they have to hide?

This isn't to say that I agree at all with the newspaper folks views on justified vs unjustified shootings. I'm sure my opinion and theirs are completely different in just about every incident.
                  What do they have to hide? Start with their wife and children. Also police tend to make some crazy people very mad and you can't watch your own back when you sleep.

And why should be be a matter of public record? The Leo's personal homes have nothing to do with the public and most counties let Leo's remove their homes from public record for good reason.

Im a little shocked anyone would even think it would be a good idea.

If Leo's homes were broadcast to the public the police shootings would go much higher because you would be defending your castle in the incidents that happened at their front door

Comment

Why?

And for what it's worth, I have had a marked unit parked in my driveway everyday for about 10 years. So no, I have nothing to hide

Comment

I hope the newspaper does post the addresses. Then they can go to prison and see all the innocent non violent people who are just victims of police harassment (sarcasm). Enjoy your stay!

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                        My question to a lawyer would be, if an officer or a family member were to be targeted at their home due to this publication, would the paper be liable and held as an accessory to murder or attempted murder?
                        It's a misdemeanor if done so in retaliation. Felony if harm does come of them. (For Peace Officers.)

Comment

Some of these reporters really should ride along with the officers on a daily bases and actually see for themselves what the officers have to go through on a daily basis.

Yes, there are crooked cops out there, But that is for the justice system to take care of.

"If you are given a directive by an officer, then you better do it or suffer getting shot for your stupidity!

Comment

Cool, do you mind if I list my address as your address instead. I would be glad to mention it to all the parolees coming up for release soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower43 View Post
                              I hope the newspaper does post the addresses. Then they can go to prison and see all the innocent non violent people who are just victims of police harassment (sarcasm). Enjoy your stay!
                              ^^Like button
                              Originally posted by Bullydog View Post
                              Cool, do you mind if I list my address as your address instead. I would be glad to mention it to all the parolees coming up for release soon.
                              ^^^and for tha win

Comment

for what it is worth, she has totally walked it back and now says she was misquoted and won't do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X