Question for Someone who Understand the Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Someone who Understand the Law

Been trapping cats for donation to the City Pound lately and it got me to wondering. I know we've talked about the Texas law making it illegal to kill cats but since that (animal cruelty) law has exceptions for game/non-game animals as classified by TPWD, could TPWD and do they have the power to re-classify cats as non-game or exotic? If so, that would be a cool way to fix what's been broken. I know, I know. It would never happen but what's a world without hypotheticals?

Sss

Comment

The answer is in cat facts, here let me send it to you!

Comment

I don't think you needed to capitalize city pound?

Comment

Oops

Originally posted by Man View Post
          I don't think you needed to capitalize city pound?
          My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            Been trapping cats for donation to the City Pound lately and it got me to wondering. I know we've talked about the Texas law making it illegal to kill cats but since that (animal cruelty) law has exceptions for game/non-game animals as classified by TPWD, could TPWD and do they have the power to re-classify cats as non-game or exotic? If so, that would be a cool way to fix what's been broken. I know, I know. It would never happen but what's a world without hypotheticals?
            The state cruelty law says that it is a illegal to kill an animal. It then goes on to define animals and part of that definition is feral or stray cats.

You ask about reclassifying them as non-game animals. They are already non-game animals. If they were game animals there would be a season on them. That might be interesting. The TPWD already defines exotic animals (actually they refer it to the Agriculture Code definition) and cats aren't part of the definition.

The only way to "fix" it is to have the legislature change the law.

In my opinion.

Comment

Pack of dogs. Technically, you have killed nothing.

Oh yeah........ I hate ferel cats.

Comment

Ag Code

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                The state cruelty law says that it is a illegal to kill an animal. It then goes on to define animals and part of that definition is feral or stray cats.

You ask about reclassifying them as non-game animals. They are already non-game animals. If they were game animals there would be a season on them. That might be interesting. The TPWD already defines exotic animals (actually they refer it to the Agriculture Code definition) and cats aren't part of the definition.

The only way to "fix" it is to have the legislature change the law.

In my opinion.
                So did the ag code definition come first? If so, who writes the ag code, legislature?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  So did the ag code definition come first? If so, who writes the ag code, legislature?
                  The legislature writes all the codes.

There are laws both federal and state that give some commissions the authority to make "rules" such as cost of licenses, seasons, means or whatever else the legislature wants to allow the commissions the latitude to make. The same legislatures however can override a commission and maybe that is how crossbows came into TX hunting during archery only season or carry with a CHL while bow hunting but don't hold me to that.

Comment

... or should I say, legislatures write all laws if they are signed off on by a governor or president or if vetoed, the legislature has to have enough votes to override the veto.

Comment

Stupid cat. I can't believe that dumb cat drank all that antifreeze.
                      Hypothetical of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X